[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.

It's so irritating....

ArchanIomharArchanIomhar
Reactions: 835
edited March 18 in Rants and Raves
...that every time someone engages in a conversation with me, it's always some weird or bizarre flirting...

I don't get it. Yeah, you can think my character is cute or hot(???), whatever, but like. It's always struck me as super weird. Super super weird. That y'all try to flirt with players based purely on a collection of big headed, bean bodied pixels that create the illusion of beauty.

I've been playing for about a month and have had an average of 2 of these interactions per week. Every conversation starter seems to be a poorly planned pickup line followed by a strange declaration of 'imma make you my gf!!' like what. that's super uncomfortable, and whats worse, when I try to run away from such interactions, like double jumping across entire maps, sometimes I'm followed.

someone enlighten my, why do y'all act like this. why do you feel the need to make supposedly female players uncomfortable by harassing them and trying to 'make them your gf'. why do you make them feel unwelcome when they turn you down. why.
MaplerOver9000DoughTanya

Comments

• LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 2,950
    edited March 18
    Idk what the heck is going on but this is discusting.
    MaplerOver9000
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 3,295
    edited March 18
    It happens in a lot of other games. Playing female characters can result unwanted attention and is generally unavoidable.

If you're being stalked or you don't want to be stalked, open up your buddy list and on the top there should be a box "online" and click on the drop down and click on "offline".
    MaplerOver9000
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,155
    edited March 18
    lol I'm a guy that plays AB (which is gender-locked to female) and I get hit on every once in a while. I also feel like people treat me differently thinking I'm a girl o_o I usually just awkwardly let them know that I'm a guy, and we laugh it off.

My sister also experiences this a lot on other games (not MapleStory - she mainly plays CS:GO nowadays). People flirting with her cuz she's a girl that plays games lol. As soon as she says something on her mic, people are all like "OMG GRILL".

I think (in MapleStory, at least) that they're just messing around. I'm not excusing what they're doing, but I'd try not to take anything they say seriously/personally lol. Most of them are probably just joking and would probably stop if you tell them to. If they do follow you around after you tell them to stop, you could report them for harassment I think? Or do what Sharp said.
    MaplerOver9000Nyara
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 2,675
    edited March 18
    Honestly...as an actual girl...its surprising how many people don't believe me =3=. Like...I don't get all dat attention like you guys are saying.
    Bellamazed
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 6,595
    edited March 18
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Honestly...as an actual girl...its surprising how many people don't believe me =3=. Like...I don't get all dat attention like you guys are saying.

There are no girls on the internet.
    bumbertyr
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 2,675
    edited March 18
    Aggraphine wrote: »

-insert stupid Feminist garble that I don't really listen to- TLDR: Women do exist on the Internet :P
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 6,595
    edited March 18
    Aggraphine wrote: »

-insert stupid Feminist garble that I don't really listen to- TLDR: Women do exist on the Internet :P

Rule 16, boi
    MaplerOver9000
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 2,350
    edited March 20
    reminded me of this

this is an old issue that permeates every game with voice chat or character customization with genders
    MaplerOver9000RoseDrop
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 19,150
    edited March 21
    Boys are boys are stupid.
    Especially in games like Maplestory, where anyone can create characters of either gender, I find it amusing that they try to hit on any "female" character.

If it's any consolation, like in real life, these boys are intimidated by capable girls. So, in my experience, the higher level you are, the less of these advances you get. Also, characters wearing "The Next Legend" medal (which means you have a level 200 character), get hit on less.

Until you get to those levels, just practice the polite but firm, "Thank you, but I'm not interested".
    Or gold-dig (agree to be his "gf" so he will give you gifts).
  • TribalStarTribalStar
    Reactions: 800
    edited March 21
    Always ask to skype, best way to tell