[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Please consider Second Chance 3.0

OptimusOptimus
Reactions: 310
edited March 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
In January 2013 and March 2014, Nexon hosted "Second Chance" events which offered certain permanently banned players a second chance to play the game according to the rules. According to statistics posted by Nexon, the events were a success in not only bringing players back to the game, but also converting past offenders into positive members of the community. I applaud Nexon for their efforts in keeping the game clean and working hard to ban those who deserve to be banned, but in light of the recent December 2015 and July 2016 cube exploits as well as the arcane weapon exploit, the fact is that many players were falsely banned, as well as other players who made a poor decision to abuse an in-game exploit but were otherwise positive members of the community. Everyone makes mistakes, and considering how many hours over the course of several years players dedicate to their accounts, facing a permanent ban can be gut-wrenching. I think this is definitely something that Nexon should consider.
JumpLow

Comments

• JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    edited March 2017
    disagree.

"falsely banned".. doubt it

This thread will probably get locked.
  • Sil_Sil_
    Reactions: 200
    edited March 2017
    You don't "mistakenly" create an unobtainable item.

If you got caught, deal with the consequences, cheaters.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited March 2017
    No more second chances deal with it.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited March 2017
    Considering how many hackers and cheaters are still running around...sorry but please no...we don't need more of them.
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited March 2017
    Sil_ wrote: »
    You don't "mistakenly" create an unobtainable item.

If you got caught, deal with the consequences, cheaters.

These people didn't "mistakenly" nor did they " purposely" create an unobtainable weapon. They bought them. Albeit wrongfully.

But if you all truly believe that after all the time and $ they spent they deserved a permanent ban, rather than a temporary ban, then you're really not helping the game at all. This isn't about whether or not they deserve what they got, it's about the way Nexon operates.

Theres no good reason why they should remove from the game people who have supported them financially for many years and yet they do not take the mass hackers/botters as seriously. I'm CERTAIN that some of those involved truly deserve the permanent ban as they probably were somehow involved in creating the items. However, it's not only very likely, but if the word of others can be believed, not all that were banned are guilty. And none of them have been unbanned despite @Arwoo saying that those that are innocent will be unbanned(which turned out to be a lie).

I guess I'm only sympathizing with them because that could have been me if I would have bought a weapon. As enticing as they might be, i guess no one really expected them to be removed and result in a permanent ban since people have duped and sold items such as Hilla's/Magnus' Rage rings, Frenzy Totems, and even 15 star tyrants. That has been going on for months(years maybe?) and never has there been any type of singled out permanent ban-wave like this one.

So I just assume and concluded to myself that those of you who are so against removing the permanent ban of those 1%'ers that were banned, are just part of the 99% of the population who simply can't, won't, or don't want to get any kind of expensive end-game item. Legit or illegit. And I can't blame you guys. I hate rich people irl too and I would be happy if they got a life sentence for racketeering and fraud.

But this is Maple and it's just a game.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Optimus wrote: »
    In January 2013 and March 2014, Nexon hosted "Second Chance" events which offered certain permanently banned players a second chance to play the game according to the rules. According to statistics posted by Nexon, the events were a success in not only bringing players back to the game, but also converting past offenders into positive members of the community. I applaud Nexon for their efforts in keeping the game clean and working hard to ban those who deserve to be banned, but in light of the recent December 2015 and July 2016 cube exploits as well as the arcane weapon exploit, the fact is that many players were falsely banned, as well as other players who made a poor decision to abuse an in-game exploit but were otherwise positive members of the community. Everyone makes mistakes, and considering how many hours over the course of several years players dedicate to their accounts, facing a permanent ban can be gut-wrenching. I think this is definitely something that Nexon should consider.

Nexon's "statistics" about their previous Second Chances didn't say anything like what you wrote. All they said is that most of the unbanned didn't return to hacking (or, at least, were not caught again). Which is no surprise because most of them didn't even return to the game.

When Nexon bans an account, they rarely, if ever, bother to remove illicit gains (items, meso, or levels) from it. Which means that if there's a general amnesty, all the cheaters of the past and their mule accounts full of duped, hacked, and exploited items, are free to return to the game and make whatever profit they wish off it all. Does that really seem right to you? And don't say "so have Nexon remove these items first," because we're talking about thousands of accounts, even if meso-bots are excluded, and nobody has time to go over them character by character, item by item, and see what needs to be done to make it "fair" for them to return.

A "General Amnesty" like you're asking for is just going to flood the game with cheaters and contraband. It's a really bad idea.
    Specific ban waves could be reconsidered for a shortened sentence, I suppose, but it's hard to do that in a way that won't encourage others to cheat in the future.
  • JulyJuly
    edited March 2017
    And none of them have been unbanned despite @Arwoo saying that those that are innocent will be unbanned(which turned out to be a lie).

How can you tell? i know some players who got unbanned.
    Stop throwing stuff like that with no proof.

This that you still see player who complain about the ban and claim to be innocent without giving any proof other than their words doesn't make them right.

Ticket system, this what they should use to ask for a second chance or to request another investigation.

I spent more than few money on this game, i also want the lvl 200 weapon. but i would never, never think of getting it illegally. I just wait patiently for nexon to add it to Marvel.

Tanyacarmenpop22
    edited March 2017
    July wrote: »
    And none of them have been unbanned despite @Arwoo saying that those that are innocent will be unbanned(which turned out to be a lie).

How can you tell? i know some players who got unbanned.
    Stop throwing stuff like that with no proof.

This that you still see player who complain about the ban and claim to be innocent without giving any proof other than their words doesn't make them right.

Do me a favor and re-read what I posted because the sentence before the one you quoted clearly says " if the words of others can be believed". It's even seperated with commas to not confuse people.

I've spoken to 3 people who told me they were not unbanned and did not know of anyone who got unbanned from this ban-wave for the arcane weapon exploit.
    You're telling me that those people you claim to know and that were unbanned were involved in this Arcane ban? It's possible, but I'm just trying to understand what you're saying, since you were vague in your statement.

Ticket system, this what they should use to ask for a second chance or to request another investigation.

They all sent a ticket already and were turned down. After that, the CM said that those that were innocent will be unbanned and they should send another ticket. And they did but the new ticket also got turned down. Again, if the words of others can be believed.

I spent more than few money on this game, i also want the lvl 200 weapon. but i would never, never think of getting it illegally. I just wait patiently for nexon to add it to Marvel.

Cool.
  • TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited March 2017
    Wasn't everyone mad at the "second chance" thing because they kind of just unbanned the actual hackers & exploiters as well?
    ^ this. If people truly weren't exploiting & want their accounts back they should be looked at on an account basis instead. If Nexon falsely banned people, they can certainly accidentally unban the actual cheaters in the event of a second chance.
  • JulyJuly
    edited March 2017
    involved in this Arcane ban?
    yea unbanned from the arcane ban chain.

If they got turned down they used the exploit and not bought it or just "hold it for 1 minute" or w/e...

They should keep try to ask support for a second chance using the ticket system. They definitely won't get it from posting here or in reddit. only thing it makes is argument leaded with shame and conspiracy.
    edited March 2017
    involved in this Arcane ban?
    yea unbanned from the arcane ban chain.

If they got turned down they used the exploit and not bought it or just "hold it for 1 minute" or w/e...

They should keep try to ask support for a second chance using the ticket system. They definitely won't get it from posting here or in reddit. only thing it makes is argument leaded with shame and conspiracy.

Bro, did you even read what I posted?

And the only shame and conspiracy here is the rejection that the community is contributing. You guys are condoning Nexon's wrongdoing simply because you believe yourself to be judge, jury, and executioner when none of you, besides the players involved and Nexon, know the actual details.

As for the people who were unbanned, who were they? Or just don't tell me, although I wouldn't believe you since you don't read what I post.
  • JulyJuly
    edited March 2017

And the only shame and conspiracy here is the rejection that the community is contributing. You guys are condoning Nexon's wrongdoing simply because you believe yourself to be judge, jury, and executioner when none of you, besides the players involved and Nexon, know the actual details.

And what u did in your first comment here? that's exactly why i said only ticket system for ban appeals

This that i only part quoted your comments doesn't mean im not reading it all lol

and ofc i won't tell you the names of those players who got unbanned. this type of derailing will help to lock this thread.
  • MegaManZeroMegaManZero
    Reactions: 200
    edited March 2017
    I believe these arcane weapons were created roughly a month ago just as Lucid was released. There was something about hackers and unlimited Lucid that managed to pull this off. It takes 24 weeks to obtain an arcane weapon normally. It's common sense (and a deadly trap) giveaway that this is too good to be true to be able to obtain it so quickly. Afterall, this is the ultimate end-game item as we speak.

It could be that Nexon was not even aware of the weapons existence until someone decided to Super Megaphone them. Why else would the weapons float around 1 month and nothing happened? I personally saw an item megaphone in-game of an arcane weapon at some point before all this happened.

I suppose Nexon started tracking all of them down. Any and every one found backtracking the weapon; even if you had the item for 3 seconds, it'll count towards involvement with this deadly trap of perm ban.
  • RawRaw
    Reactions: 515
    edited March 2017
    I think if people want to come back, there should be a probationary period where Nexon collects data on your usage and the things you're doing on the game. If you can show that you wish to play the game for its merit and not for illicit gain, you should be allowed to stay. If you go right back to cheating, send them packing. I think the length of probationary period shouldn't be disclosed, as to deter people from waiting a certain time period before resuming their illicit activities in game.

I also think that arguing about whether people have the items, got them illegally, actually committed what Nexon said they did, whatever; is like trying to guess the cards in someone's hands across from you. You all must be amazing poker players, I hope we never meet at a poker table. Same thing with unbans. This whole conversation was built on what selected (and random based on not everyone visits forums) replies it generated from the people who happened to look. Leave it to the professionals, let them handle it and work it out. I think the people who are upset with this post just don't want a blanket immunity handed to people who have been pretty notorious for cheating and bad enough at it to get caught. People who sympathize with the OP probably think that Nexon bans people permanently for a moment's weakness. Operating on the words of others, however, on both sides of this conversation, is throwing opinions at each other and treating them as fact. Unless it happened specifically to you, imagine it is fabricated. Generally when people don't get their way with Nexon, they get mad and get to fabrication of the story to make themselves as innocent as possible.

TAKE AWAY- consider instituting a probation period (don't announce how long); don't use heresay as gospel, just because a friend said so; and don't cheat, but if you do, be better than the people we are discussing (kidding).
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited March 2017
    I almost got snagged up in it. I was offering to use my left over and about to expire cubes on weapons. Someone put a lucid weapon in the window and they were only lvl 33 so I panicked and logged out without accepting it. Something was too hinky about it.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited March 2017
    Heya guys,

I do want to update everyone that we did look into the claims of players who reported being falsely banned due to the Arcane Weapon exploit.
    We have contacted players that were investigated and informed them of our decision from the results of our findings.

However, that information is between our Investigations team and the player. Please note that we're still investigating additional accounts. Do not use our forums as a platform for in-game ban appeals, but do use our appropriate channels:
    https://support-maplestory.nexon.net/hc/en-us

Thank you,

Arwoooo~
    JulyMegaScienceDaisukeHarutoTorippiNyaracarmenpop22
This discussion has been closed.