[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Even cosmetics are P2W

JubJubJubJub
Reactions: 470
edited April 2017 in Rants and Raves
I saw this little description on the Nexon launcher and I had to laugh.

r0j09eD.png

What they don't specify is that a good 80% of the clothing and hair is obtained by gambling. Surprise Style boxes, Royal Hair/Eyes, Chairs, etc.
What they don't remind you is that the items in the cash shop are useless since none of it is permanent.
Why you never see people wearing clothes from the Cash Shop selection.
There's a reason why surprise style boxes are preferable, is because of the value in permanent items, which nexon never implemented unless it involves a gamble.
I'm also quite tired of the fact that they have to rotate eye and hair styles every month.
The description looks enticing to new players but once they find out that decorating a character isn't as fun as it should be, they just get annoyed and back out.

Its one thing to make damage and stats pay to win, but cosmetics too?? Seriously??

Comments

• UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited April 2017
    It's not pay to win. Pay to win implies you gain an advantage, cosmetics do not give you an advantage unless they have stats on them.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's stupid most of the good stuff is hidden behind an RNG cash wall, but I wouldn't say it's pay to win.
    JettLuvsUElise
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2017
    JubJub wrote: »
    There's a reason why surprise style boxes are preferable, is because of the value in permanent items, which nexon never implemented unless it involves a gamble.

Surprise style boxes are valuable because their items can be sold on the free market and auction house for mesos and traded freely (until equipped). Many of them are relatively cheap, especially compared to end-game gear sold on the market. If you want to find a particular item, you should search the market or ask around, another player might have it.

Permanent items go on sale rather often. Transparent items, for example, are sold outside of any RNG-based system typically during the Black Friday season. There have also been several packages, such as the Heroes of Maple outfits (all six of my heros are decked out in their respective outfits) or the Blaster outfits (my Blaster is also decked out as such). My favorite items, fusion anvils, are on sale year-round; I like making outfits out of the available selections in-game far more than the colorful stuff in the cash shop, and I usually only buy fusion anvils and transparents (to cover up the Aquatic Letter eye, Condensed Power Crystal, or Gollux earrings, usually). It is rather annoying that we don't have KMS's cash shop, which has a larger selection of permanent items, but nothing I find personally objectionable (again, I like in-game outfits better).

Hair and face coupons are actually readily available through in-game events (we had an attendance with a hair coupon available just recently). Random Beauty coupons are a particular favorite (and you can utilize the Salon system in the equip tab to save and customize your features more easily).

I'll also point out that cosmetic items costing money is a key point in many popular games.
    coughHat Fortress 2coughcough
    Not as many people actually back off if faced with paid cosmetics as you might think.
  • JubJubJubJub
    Reactions: 470
    edited April 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

Surprise style boxes are valuable because their items can be sold on the free market and auction house for mesos and traded freely (until equipped). Many of them are relatively cheap, especially compared to end-game gear sold on the market. If you want to find a particular item, you should search the market or ask around, another player might have it.

Permanent items go on sale rather often. Transparent items, for example, are sold outside of any RNG-based system typically during the Black Friday season. There have also been several packages, such as the Heroes of Maple outfits (all six of my heros are decked out in their respective outfits) or the Blaster outfits (my Blaster is also decked out as such). My favorite items, fusion anvils, are on sale year-round; I like making outfits out of the available selections in-game far more than the colorful stuff in the cash shop, and I usually only buy fusion anvils and transparents (to cover up the Aquatic Letter eye, Condensed Power Crystal, or Gollux earrings, usually). It is rather annoying that we don't have KMS's cash shop, which has a larger selection of permanent items, but nothing I find personally objectionable (again, I like in-game outfits better).

Hair and face coupons are actually readily available through in-game events (we had an attendance with a hair coupon available just recently). Random Beauty coupons are a particular favorite (and you can utilize the Salon system in the equip tab to save and customize your features more easily).

I'll also point out that cosmetic items costing money is a key point in many popular games.
    coughHat Fortress 2coughcough
    Not as many people actually back off if faced with paid cosmetics as you might think.

I beg to differ. If people wanted to spend RL cash on NX in turn to buy Surprise Style Boxes to profit for in-game mesos, they would just buy from a meso selling service instead. You can't always guarantee to get an item in the surprise style box that is worth a lot of mesos, thus it makes more financial sense to buy from a meso seller.
    I am glad they utilized a salon, since the previous years it wasn't available.
    I have no problem with cosmetics costing, its just a pain when there are no permanent options available for a set price. I do not like gambling for cosmetic items.
    Bellamazed
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    I beg to differ. If people wanted to spend RL cash on NX in turn to buy Surprise Style Boxes to profit for in-game mesos, they would just buy from a meso selling service instead. You can't always guarantee to get an item in the surprise style box that is worth a lot of mesos, thus it makes more financial sense to buy from a meso seller.
    I am glad they utilized a salon, since the previous years it wasn't available.
    I have no problem with cosmetics costing, its just a pain when there are no permanent options available for a set price. I do not like gambling for cosmetic items.

Some people still respect the ToS, or just fear getting hacked or banned.
    Fact is, the vast majority of PSSB being sold are sold to people who view it as a way to make meso. And the free market and auction house are full of those items. If you don't want to gamble, buy from there, rather than from the cash shop.
    I agree that expiring items suck, but they do offer a few permanent items with every cash shop rotation (right now it's "horror" styles due to the Terrorversary).
    And I agree that random-reward cosmetics (especially things like Royal styles, that you can't even sell off if you don't like them) are greedy.
    But greed =/= pay2win, as Uzume pointed out.

• SealSeal
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited April 2017
    Like what everyone else said above. Cosmetic RNG isn't the same as P2W.

Unless EVERYONE can band together and boycott the majority of Perm NX being obtained through RNG, Nexon won't do anything. It's a profitable business model, like actual P2W gear, and I'm guilty for being a part of it. Like some players suggested, you can wait for cash shop sales that do offer perm items, which are surprisingly cheap at times, or just purchase the RNG items off of others players.

If you play Reboot, nothing we can really do about it. I previously suggested that Perm NX become tradable in Reboot after Surprise Boxes were introduced, and although it generated some support (I think?), I doubt it will be implemented. Profits from Reboot are funded through cosmetics, so in the place of cubing gear, Whales that have moved to Reboot would continue purchasing them until getting the item they want (or exclusives, like some games implement) and/or just have Smega conversations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Though I do spend money on cosmetics, I do spend considerably less than I did from spite myself. I rarely play boxes anymore, since on Reboot, I get stuck with gender locked items, multiples, and items I don't want making them absolutely useless. I'm still big on Royals, but I won't play unless there are at least 3 hairs/faces I like.