[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Make Elemental Resistance affect Physical attacks

OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
Reactions: 2,750
Member, Private Tester
edited September 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
How Elemental Resistance works is it reduces damage taken from enemy attacks with elemental properties, which nowadays only implies the Poison Abnormal Status, enemy Poison Mists and similar, and most of Horntail's attacks. This makes Elemental Resistance is the least applicated character stat. Therefore, all Elemental Resistance effects should be changed to Damage Reduction effects, because most endgame bosses are resistant to physical (non-elemental) attacks, greatly reducing damage taken. Of course, if we convert Elemental Resistance to Damage Reduction 1:1, it would cause a major imbalance, so the values would have to be greatly reduced to keep them balanced.
DarkPassenger

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    OdysseyTwo wrote: »
    How Elemental Resistance works is it reduces damage taken from enemy attacks with elemental properties, which nowadays only implies the Poison Abnormal Status, enemy Poison Mists and similar, and most of Horntail's attacks. This makes Elemental Resistance is the least applicated character stat. Therefore, all Elemental Resistance effects should be changed to Damage Reduction effects, because most endgame bosses are resistant to physical (non-elemental) attacks, greatly reducing damage taken. Of course, if we convert Elemental Resistance to Damage Reduction 1:1, it would cause a major imbalance, so the values would have to be greatly reduced to keep them balanced.

yeah no one really cares baout elemental resistance anymore, they should change it to something with more utility
  • SaekiSenpaiSaekiSenpai
    Reactions: 1,175
    edited May 2017
    Maybe they can do a 4:1 damage redux conversion, so 20% element resistance would become 5% damage redux (includes %hp attacks...or maybe not I dunno).
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    What even counts as a %HP attack? I've never really bothered to test lol. Are a lot of OHKO attacks classified under this? (the ones that seem to damage you for exactly the amount of HP you have, that is) If so, even a small reduction could break the game balance. A regular damage reduction would probably be fairer.

Also, is the only source of Elemental Resistance from hyper stats or do some skills also give some? If it's only hyper stats, or if class skills give a negligible amount, we could just change it to Ignore Elemental Resistance lol. Unless that became useless in some recent update.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited May 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    So if you have Max level insight, you ignore 5% Elemental Resistance from monsters.

To roughly translate this; You would do 2.5% more damage on Cvel if your insight is maxed.

Would be great if there could be more ways to ignore elemental defense, instead of it being just this near unavoidable damage reduction, but not sure how that would affect balancing
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Heyo,

In Maplestory, "Physical" is actually an element. (I know, confusing)

So if you have Max level insight, you ignore 5% Elemental Resistance from monsters.

To roughly translate this; You would do 2.5% more damage on Cvel if your insight is maxed.

I think he's talking about stuff like the Hyper Stat, which gives you resistance to enemies' Elemental stuff, rather than the other way around. Which is like, completely useless right now lol. At least I think the hyper stat's different from insight?
    edited May 2017
    Thats why they changed cygnus knights elmem,elemental skill and mages, they were op on bosses with high resistance. I believe cygnus had 50% elemental resistance in the beginner tab at 100 or 120
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    It is an intentional damage reduction, it's why bosses like Zakum are much easier. The more "end game" the bosses get, the more elemental resistance they get... kinda. Cvel has the highest at 50%.

There's really no such thing as "the more elemental resistance they get", because there are only 4 levels of monster elemental resistance; Weak, Neutral, Strong, and Immune. All bosses either have Neutral resistance or Strong resistance, with very few exceptions; a boss with strong elemental resistance always has a base damage reduction of 50%, no more, no less.
    Thats why they changed cygnus knights elmem,elemental skill and mages, they were op on bosses with high resistance. I believe cygnus had 50% elemental resistance in the beginner tab at 100 or 120

Elemental Resistance and Ignore Elemental Resistance are not the same things. A lot of players get confused between the two.

Cygnus Knight Passive never let you "ignore" Elemental Resistance, it's the same as the hyper stat. These things don't matter on bosses since they don't reduce %HP Damage. What you're thinking of would make you take less Elemental Damage from status conditions.

Actually, Cygnus Knights did once have Ignore Elemental Resistance as DarkPassenger was thinking; the skill that gave it now instead gives 10% Weapon Attack and Magic Attack. What you're thinking is Cygnus Knights' Link Skill.
    I do agree that the HyperStat serve no purpose, you're better off putting it into main stat. I'll put something together and forward it as feedback regarding how those hyperstats might need some looking into.

Well, while you're at it, check out my Hyper Stats suggestion:
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/3462/new-hyper-stats#latest
    edited May 2017

Elemental Resistance and Ignore Elemental Resistance are not the same things. A lot of players get confused between the two.

Cygnus Knight Passive never let you "ignore" Elemental Resistance, it's the same as the hyper stat. These things don't matter on bosses since they don't reduce %HP Damage. What you're thinking of would make you take less Elemental Damage from status conditions.

woops this is my reply : ok, the thing is that I just had the name wrong, the skill they had decreased the elemental attribute, just say that. It was Elemental Attribute - 50% therefore you do more dmg on a boss that has elemental resistance. All I did was forget to write (ignore) in the beginning.
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Heyo,

In Maplestory, "Physical" is actually an element. (I know, confusing)

This is elemental ignore, OP is suggesting about Elemental resistance two totally different things.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    PirateIzzy wrote: »
    But physical ISN'T an element you can resist. It doesn't work the same way for players as it does for monsters like PB and CRA. The way elemental resistance works for us only applies to attacks that specifically have elemental properties attached, and physical is not one of those elements, meaning non-elemental attacks will still work the same way they normally do; this is how player elemental resistance has worked since the conception of this game.

THIS is the reason why I started this thread in the first place. But since then, however, I realized that with so many skills that grant Elemental Resistance, converting all of them to Damage Reduction would take a lot of work on changing code, but I have thought of a more efficient suggestion. Elemental Resistance should also affect enemy Physical attacks (Non-%HP attacks of course), but at a much reduced rate. 1 point of Elemental Resistance should reduce damage taken from Physical attacks by 0.2% (Multiplicative with other Damage Reduction effects of course). As a result, Elemental Resistance should cap at 500, same as Status Resistance. This way, the Elemental Resistance Hyper Stat would be much more helpful (Only 4%, but hey, it's much better than nothing!). Also, to alleviate the confusion between Elemental Resistance and Ignore Elemental Resistance (Sometimes called Elemental Ignore), Ignore Elemental Resistance should be renamed to Elemental Penetration a la Path of Exile.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    I don't understand how people mix up Elemental Resistance and Elemental Ignore. They are two completely different meanings

Resistance makes you take less damage from Elemental attacks, Ignore makes you ignore some of the boss's resistant (physical).

But yes, Elemental Resistance on hyper stats is completely useless, it should changed to either 20% damage reduction or Elemental ignore.