[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Launcher doesn't detect my games

azzacuraazzacura
Reactions: 765
edited June 2017 in Tech Support
2 days ago when wanting to play on one of my computers I noticed the Nexon Launcher told me to download Maplestory and Combat Arms which were already present on the computer (and have been there for over a year). Today on the other computer I noticed the exact same problem. Nexon Launcher telling me to download Maplestory and Combat Arms while they're already on the computer for over a year. The path is D->Program Files->Nexon->maplestory and in the Nexon map are also Combat Arms and Nexon Launcher so that can't be the issue. I haven't downloaded/changed anything lately and was able to play maplestory yesterday!

I can't find anything about this on the forum and yet I have this exact same problem on two different computers. I can't repair the launcher itself and can't repair the games because according to the launcher I haven't even downloaded them.

I really dont want to re-download maplestory because Ive had many many issues with it in the past (specifically with hackshield not updating) and I finally had 0 issues with launching and playing maplestory.... Until this.

How can I fix this? And how did it happen/can I avoid it?

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited June 2017
    make sure there isnt another neoxn folder where it isnt supposed to be. but what you can do is copy the nexon file and put it in another location as a back up for what youll do next. delete the file from where the launcher is supposed to read it and then change the location. if you have a storage device with enough room, id say to use that and have another file in c drive. as back up.

2nd thing is when you make another copy of the nexon file, repair installation from where the launcher is supposed to read it if it prompts you to dl the whole game again, you can either cancel and delete it from there and use the second location as the default setting or the game files may be corrupted. but sometimes repairing installation just takes a few moments.

this happened to me once. usually happens when the game files are corrupted, not malicious but just corrupted whether they were downloaded incorrectly or just a glitch in the dl process.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Somewhat ridiculous workaround: create a new Nexon account and use that to log in to the Nexon Launcher.
    For some reason, the first time you log in to the Nexon Launcher, it will scan your computer for installations of the games, and tell you "I found these games, do you want to import them", and then know where they are. And it will let your old account use the games as well.
    If you're using an account that's already logged in to the Nexon Launcher on that computer, there is no way that I know of to tell it to cleanly import games. You have to use the roundabout way DarkPassenger described to trick it.
  • CartCart
    Reactions: 200
    edited June 2017
    At least you don't have my problem, every 5-6 of straight playing maplestory my nexon launcher decides its going to delete my maplestory folder and force me to reinstall
  • azzacuraazzacura
    edited February 2018
    Sorry for reviving the post but AKradian, your method works. I'm glad I have a second (abandoned) account to log in with, yesterday it tried to get me to re-install the game again....

Haven't had it happen in a whole month and now twice on two different computers again. My account must be cursed >.<
  • SnowedSnowed
    Reactions: 840
    edited March 2018
    Cart wrote: »
    At least you don't have my problem, every 5-6 of straight playing maplestory my nexon launcher decides its going to delete my maplestory folder and force me to reinstall

Is it being detected as a virus? Usually there might not be a notification saying it's been removed off your computer for protection. Perhaps you should try to quarantine it with your anti-virus. That happened to me once when I was trying to run a game off steam.
  • SnowedSnowed
    Reactions: 840
    edited March 2018
    make sure there isnt another neoxn folder where it isnt supposed to be. but what you can do is copy the nexon file and put it in another location as a back up for what youll do next. delete the file from where the launcher is supposed to read it and then change the location. if you have a storage device with enough room, id say to use that and have another file in c drive. as back up.

2nd thing is when you make another copy of the nexon file, repair installation from where the launcher is supposed to read it if it prompts you to dl the whole game again, you can either cancel and delete it from there and use the second location as the default setting or the game files may be corrupted. but sometimes repairing installation just takes a few moments.

this happened to me once. usually happens when the game files are corrupted, not malicious but just corrupted whether and they were downloaded incorrectly or just a glitch in the dl process.

I've tried this but I still can't initialize the game from launcher. But for those who want to give it a go. I'm just going to put it into simpler terms.
    1. Go to C:\Nexon and copy/cut the whole folder.
    2. Paste it into a different location.
    3. Run Game Launcher. It will detect the missing folder and prompt you to download.
    4. Cancel the download.
    5. Go to settings and under the Game Install/Update tab, change the location of the installation folder your new location.
    ---
    This is where I start having problems.
    6. Currently the Game Launcher is NOT detecting the new path location and will automatically reset to the default path way C:\Nexon again. It'll force you to download the whole file again making all the previous steps redundant.
    7. Repair Installation doesn't work. Uninstall does however. Funny that.
    8. The waiting game for Nexon to bring this to their attention and actually fix the problem begins. -_-
  • azzacuraazzacura
    edited March 2018
    I've had to reinstall maplestory 6 times this week. Launcher just doesn't see my game for some reason. Sometimes I'm ok for a few weeks, sometimes it's several times a day.

In my situation is't definately not detected as a virus, as I can still see the game sitting there if I go the folder manually. The problem is really with the launcher.
  • AppleCat47AppleCat47
    sorry for reviving this post
    I've encountered this exact same problem, Nexon is disappointing not even to try fixing this
  • TheBestJessTheBestJess
    Reactions: 100
    Tbh honst I'm having a problem. I'm new to the Nexon Launcher and I can't actually get the game to start, I'm having the same issue as @snowed and I'm trying the solution but I don't understand what it means by Activate your Game and I have no idea where at find the product key if I need one.
  • KatokiKatoki
    Reactions: 100
    I found this particular thread through a google search since I was having the same issue with Maplestory 2 through the launcher. What it seems to be doing is looking for the folder in C: drive by default because C: drive I suppose. The problem is that I have several drives not unlike some of you guys out there. What I did was:

1. "Launcher settings" where your username is on the top-right of the Nexon launcher
    2. "Game Install/Update tab"
    3. Changed "game installation location" path to my other drive where all my games are.

In my case the default path was C:/Nexon/Maplestory2 or something like that which it couldn't find and resulted in the download prompt. When I changed the default path to E:/Games/Nexon where my Maplestory 2 folder was already located and hit download, it went through a verification process and then changed to "Play."

Hopefully this is helpful to someone somewhere. You revived the post so I don't feel too bad about adding to it two months later.