[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

GMS WORLD POPULATION

Shades2Shades2
Reactions: 585
edited October 2017 in General Chat
hello I was just wondering is there anywhere you can see the exact population online in every server in maplestory at one time? I remember a few years ago there was a website thatwould tell you it but I don't think it exists anymore.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Nexon changed things so that site could no longer see the numbers, and neither can anyone else. Very closely guarded secret.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Well you can get some indication from people playing on steam http://steamcharts.com/app/216150
    Nyara
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Well you can get some indication from people playing on steam http://steamcharts.com/app/216150

No knowing what percentage of players play through Steam.
    Also Steam doesn't differentiate between game worlds.
    But I guess at least it tells us that the total number of real (not bot) Maplestory players is no less than what Steam shows.
    NyaraKinro
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited October 2017
    Wow, concurrent peak steam users hovers around 1.5k, I knew it was bad but this is shocking. What's the likely number of people using the Nexon launcher? 2x, 3x, 5x, 10x, 20x that many? That's still super low.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited October 2017
    It was like around 25-30k 2-3 years ago I think. I'd say it's probably hovering around 10k or so now.
  • Retr0_Retr0_
    Reactions: 2,065
    edited October 2017
    You must be havin' a laugh with that 10k. I'd be surprised if KMS had that many players. GMS? I'd say no more than 2k, TOP 3k. And i'm being too reasonable with that 3k. It's a shame really....
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    Retr0_ wrote: »
    You must be havin' a laugh with that 10k. I'd be surprised if KMS had that many players. GMS? I'd say no more than 2k, TOP 3k. And i'm being too reasonable with that 3k. It's a shame really....

Ugh, what a depressing thought. . .
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Retr0_ wrote: »

It's always fun to be a doomsayer, but the Steam numbers (linked above) prove you wrong.
    During the summer we had up to 1800 people playing Maple through Steam concurrently.
    Most players don't play through Steam. So that number should at least be doubled for total players.

• JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    when you add the blaze wizards the "players" connecting from steam are probably 10% or less.
  • PeepPeep
    edited October 2017
    Pretty sure KMS has around 60k+ players online at most times. Like I said there was a site that showed pop and I'm pretty sure it was 25-30k for a long while. Obviously poor design changes in this game have pushed people away but I still think the number is around 10k as far far more use the crappy Nexon launcher.
    edited October 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    Pretty sure KMS has around 60k+ players online at most times. Like I said there was a site that showed pop and I'm pretty sure it was 25-30k for a long while. Obviously poor design changes in this game have pushed people away but I still think the number is around 10k as far far more use the crappy Nexon launcher.

So, the game will keep going? Good. It may not be perfect, but I love this game and I would be sad if it died.
  • ChukkiChukki
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited October 2017

So, the game will keep going? Good. It may not be perfect, but I love this game and I would be sad if it died.

The game will keep on going.

I mean when servers are lagging is a nice way to show that there's too many people playing.
    edited October 2017
    Chukki wrote: »

The game will keep on going.

I mean when servers are lagging is a nice way to show that there's too many people playing.

I was getting worried but I've started seeing maple ads too so that's a very good sign.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited October 2017
    ^Don't get too comfortable, after the last major update i'd conjecture that the population has taken a dip, and the population has been in a fragile state for the past year (5-10k players is quite alarming). It doesn't help that we only chip about 5% to Nexon's total revenue. Basically they couldn't care less if we we die out, their focus is in the east asian market.
  • Retr0_Retr0_
    Reactions: 2,065
    edited October 2017
    Look, i love MS as the next person does but there's no reason to sugarcoat it, in my opinion. You just can't be serious when you're saying there are 30k players. And KMS having 60k players seems a bit ( a lot actually ) of an overstatement too.

#AKradian, so what was wrong in what i've said? Steam charts show an average of 1k players at this moment, right? I bumped the numbers up to 3k adding the players that don't use steam. Also yeah, is normal that during the summer the numbers would spike a bit. But you know? Summer is over. And you can clearly see it.
    It's not easy to doomsay a game that you used to love, with a big accent on used to. I guess i'll see how things go in the next months, maybe year, and i'll come back. But as it is right now, i don't see a reason nor i have the time to grind my arse off.
    But alas, there is no real saying regarding the population since we know little to none about the green bars. What does a full green bar means? What does a half green bar means? We know nothing about it.
  • PeepPeep
    edited October 2017
    25-30k was years ago. Obviously not anymore but the numbers on the site clearly showed that until Nexon decided to change things so people couldn't see population numbers.

The fact we had those numbers years ago in NA back before EU mergers with far less servers than KMS makes 60k far more believable. It could even be more tbh since around the same time NA had 25-30k average KMS had 150k+. This is the average number of people online at any given time btw, not the total number of people that actually play the game.

You have to understand Maplestory is one of the most played MMOs there. Not only that, videos from popular Maple vid creators get well over 100k-300k views over there. Their streams on Afreeca get a lot more too compared to our most popular Twitch streamers for Maple. This year Maplestory was rank 7 for most played game in PC Bangs with the Nova update.

In general it's far more popular but like GMS it is stagnating. I still think a revival is possible for Maple despite all the stupid decisions made but sadly I don't think Nexon will ever follow through with the changes they need to make to bring people back and better yet, keep people playing. This year has shown they want to get players to quit with poor decision making, disorganization with updates (leaving a bad taste for returning or new players) and basically ignoring feedback on big game design changes.
    MageOfBattles
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    In general it's far more popular but like GMS it is stagnating. I still think a revival is possible for Maple despite all the stupid decisions made but sadly I don't think Nexon will ever follow through with the changes they need to make to bring people back and better yet, keep people playing. This year has shown they want to get players to quit with poor decision making, disorganization with updates (leaving a bad taste for returning or new players) and basically ignoring feedback on big game design changes.

This. We need transparency, we need better communication. Instead of showering us with hot weeks and events, the best thing they could give us is input. If they could just listen to what changes we're asking for, and it's fine if a change isn't possible as long as they tell us why. The Tune Up update was step in the right direction, QoL updates are what this game needs most right now.
  • DarkRoosterDarkRooster
    Reactions: 310
    edited October 2017
    Steam isn't correct visual since most people who know MS definitely doesn't know that its on steam. Few thousand people still have games that are literary made in excel in 2004-2006, so i wouldn't be so worried about it
  • ZephioxZephiox
    Reactions: 610
    edited January 2018
    December 2017 saw about 2300 people using steam alone.