[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Being banned for playing a class.

MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
Reactions: 4,280
edited October 2017 in Rants and Raves
So this whole issue with Legitimate Kanna's being banned left and right is absolutely ridiculous. It hasn't happened to me, but it doesn't need to for me to understand that this is absolutely absurd. I get it, I assume we all get it, getting rid of hackers or whatever the case, is very important. But sweeping up so many players into the mix is... I can't even describe how badly the situation is being dealt with.

The sheer fact that people are afraid to play Kanna in fear of being banned speaks far more than anything I can say here. What's next at this point? What else can Nexon do? Banning people from using cubes? I am honestly floored at how many poor choices have been made in so little time. First it was the drop rate, then it was the world transfer, and now this. I just can't understand why Nexon makes the decisions that it has.

I'm not trying to tell people to stop playing, I still love Maple, which is why I'm posting this. Maple's special to a lot of the people here, but I'm frustrated, as I'm sure others are too. We need to better understand why choices are being made. But communication is a two way street, and Nexon's closed down the road.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    According to Nexon, none of the ban appeals investigated so far were false positives.
    On the official Discord, notable Kanna mains and the VFMs are saying (or implying) that all the "I was banned for nothing" posts on reddit are a coordinated campaign by hackers to discredit the auto-ban (and terrify legits in the process). These Kanna mains say that they play their Kannas normally, and so do their friends, and they and the VFMs also actively tried to get banned by using all possible skills and skill combinations, and nobody they know has been banned.
    So, the panicky "all Kannas are getting perma'ed" is just a wee bit exaggerated.

Personally, I tend to believe that there were at least some false bans, but the hackers jumped in to muddy the water, hoping to get everybody unbanned.
    (Meanwhile, btw, they seem to have figured out how to avoid getting banned. People are reporting Kanna hackers still going strong in their usual maps)
    I don't have enough faith in Nexon's Investigations Team to be able to find all the needles in the resulting haystack. Not unless someone Nexon considers trustworthy gets banned, and Nexon can use their game logs to see what, exactly, the hack detection thought it saw this person doing, and why that's wrong. And then they can search the logs of other banned Kannas for the same pattern, and free them too.

I think players are right to avoid playing Kanna until this clears up. Even if the auto-ban is only producing 1% false positives, it still seems that if you're hit with that, you're not getting unbanned.

However, when you say "I can't even describe how badly the situation is being dealt with" - I'm not sure how you think Nexon could handle it better (other than creating a bug-free hack detector - which might be the case after all). They're investigating, as well and as fast as they can. We'll have to wait and see what comes out of it.
    AnEpicPlayerLilyflower
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    *sigh* I suppose you're right. Honestly, I sound more upset than I really am. Admittedly I exaggerated, but you know, it felt really nice to get it all out.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited October 2017
    I think Akradian is right but my trust for Nexon handling investigations properly is very low as there have been MANY incidents in the past where people have gotten falsely banned and remained banned. Only public outcry was able to get them a second look into their case. It really is worrying. This is probably why so many cheaters try and take advantage of this fact to get unbanned. Nexon's own incompetence leads to crap like this. It's kinda sad really.

It's also very annoying that something like this is happening right when there is a haste event going on.
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    So this whole issue with Legitimate Kanna's being banned left and right is absolutely ridiculous. It hasn't happened to me, but it doesn't need to for me to understand that this is absolutely absurd. I get it, I assume we all get it, getting rid of hackers or whatever the case, is very important. But sweeping up so many players into the mix is... I can't even describe how badly the situation is being dealt with.

The sheer fact that people are afraid to play Kanna in fear of being banned speaks far more than anything I can say here. What's next at this point? What else can Nexon do? Banning people from using cubes? I am honestly floored at how many poor choices have been made in so little time. First it was the drop rate, then it was the world transfer, and now this. I just can't understand why Nexon makes the decisions that it has.

I'm not trying to tell people to stop playing, I still love Maple, which is why I'm posting this. Maple's special to a lot of the people here, but I'm frustrated, as I'm sure others are too. We need to better understand why choices are being made. But communication is a two way street, and Nexon's closed down the road.

Yeah, I'm all for getting rid of botters, but not if innocent players are getting banned too. I don't know how many false positives there were, but hopefully legit players get unbanned and compensated.
  • ShirerraShirerra
    Reactions: 310
    edited October 2017
    I have been banned because of playing my first character, Kanna in a solo cooking dungeon. And I'm disgusted by the fact that they issue perma-bans so easily, I've already submitted a ticket and they replied it was looked into and that I was hacking. I'm still a new player that doesn't even know how to return to the previous spot a quest would send me to. Some more things I looked through in the forums also tells me that they should at Terms of Use to include the following:

1. Do not play Kanna.
    2. Do not accidentally glitch and knock down mobs from platforms.
    3. Do not lag or mash buttons.
    4. Do not play near or with anyone because they could be a hacker...
    5. Do not pick up some kind of banned exploited Cube items or something from 2015 that I don't understand what they are or what they look like...
    6. Don't spend too much money on NX or Nexon would think you too rich for your own good.
    7. Don't disconnect...pray that your Internet is top notch.
    8. Try not to level too quickly or kill annoying 1 lvl mobs for hitting me into a corner while I try to track down where my previous quest is.

I have seen forums that group regular customers as hackers just for this grievous insult of a game mechanic. So how could I at least say that I've fully experienced the true boredom of the game?

It took me 5 years to get my priest to lvl 101. Not just because she was incredibly weak and got 2 shot by any mob near her or because my idiot hide didn't understand that some mobs you will insta die to touch (no exploring till you're older then). I also hated the grinding experience and monsters spawn dropping on my head...and the fact my priest has to sit for half an hour to regain mana or me trying to find the nearest city to buy or pick up little weak potions on the ground.

I have the map knowledge of a homing pigeon ground into Thanksgiving mush. I don't know how to return to this quest I picked up...or I die because once I kill monsters they drop on top of me again. And priests at that time just had like...3 spells and horrible healing skills before they become priests.

"Press space bar to activate this quest item!" It doesn't work because I hotkeyed my space bar to jump. "Left click these bushes!" It's not working....so I abandon quest and try to find my way back then?

I do know that my main complaint was the struggle of being a little mage priest...Kanna was my first character that I abandoned for a time due to the face that I simply didn't like her hairstyle. But she was SO easy to play. I didn't have to worry about mana...I carried red potions till she got to job lvl 2 and 3 and then I simply could lifesteal off monsters and replenish myself.

She also had her cute little pet friend Haku...and it made my lonely self feel better because my server Windia...is absolutely dead.

I'm not asking to get my account back at this point because of my lack of enthusiasm for the basic mechanics of the game...but I insist that Nexon should stop claiming that ALL Kanna players are bots or hackers. Oh and one more thing...instead of banning players to use her skills given to her...just remove them already!! It must be my responsibility to know that I cannot use certain skills on certain characters due to their botting potential??
  • ShirerraShirerra
    edited October 2017
    ...well...don't know how to remove this post....
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Shirerra wrote: »
    "Press space bar to activate this quest item!" It doesn't work because I hotkeyed my space bar to jump. "Left click these bushes!" It's not working....so I abandon quest and try to find my way back then?

That message means you're supposed to press the NPC chat/Harvest key. It's default set to the space bar. A few such messages in the game are incorrectly displayed visually because they're hardcoded to "spacebar" rather than whatever you have your key set to.
    I fail to see what this has to do with your ban, however.

Please don't double-post, if possible. The edit button can be found by pressing the gear-shaped icon and selecting "edit".
  • ShirerraShirerra
    edited October 2017
    I fail to see what this has to do with your ban, however. Please don't double-post, if possible. The edit button can be found by pressing the gear-shaped icon and selecting "edit".[/quote]

I do apologize, I'm still new here and I don't understand fully the rules yet, I hope quoting is acceptable here in the forums even if I can't remove the previous post up there. Anyway I'm stating that due to the amount of other forums saying that ALL Kannas have been found as bots which I sorely disagree because I am not one, I actually took the time to play through the game and share my experience solo lvling, learning, and sharing basic issues I've had before this happened.