[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Help with lag

SakuraNekoSakuraNeko
Reactions: 810
edited December 2017 in Tech Support
Hello, I dont usually post on forums much but I tried researching this and found no helpful answers. Ever since I started playing the game months ago, it has always lagged quite a bit-especially during combat. I'm not sure what 's causing this because my laptop can run games like FFXIV, GW2, Blade and Soul with no lag at all.

I did see that others had lag problems but all the posts and threads with answers were from quite a few years ago, and the fixes dont work anymore. I was just wondering if anyone has a new fix or way to make the lag less bad. Thank you :)
NeutralSpeaker

Comments

• KyanoFoxKyanoFox
    Reactions: 200
    edited December 2017
    I think a lot of it has to do with your CPU/RAM. Maple doesn't really play like most other games, and so, running a higher tier graphics card in this case doesn't necessarily incur better results. Instead, much more RAM (for the storing of all the image files that make this game work), and better processing (to help bring these all together) might be choking you in this case whereas normally in gaming it's all about the GPU.

Though on a client perspective, the game could stand optimization tweaks, seeing as very few settings actually help anything. Most notably, I've never been able to stand playing Demon Avenger, not because it isn't fun. (It is loads of fun.) It bugs me mostly because mobbing as intended causes the game to freeze, even if it's only for a few seconds, and I think that's probably a RAM issue (due to the level of detail and quality in DA's graphics).

Still, if it's a latency issue, it's kinda obvious what your issue is, though it'd likely be present in other games were that the case. I might suggest using a page file to alleviate it a bit.

Page Files are either made with flash drives or reserved sectors of your hard drive that are supposed to function as though they are RAM, which does help some, but it isn't a perfect substitute. a 4 GB page file seems to work about as well as 2 GB of additional RAM. Still, if you want to try this, use Control Panel, open System Settings, Advanced system settings (keep in mind this requires Admin controls.) and in the Advanced tab of THAT menu, there's an option for you to set Virtual Memory, which is your page file. Granted that the computer you use generally does this on its own, you can increase its size to your liking.
  • TykkuTykku
    Reactions: 600
    edited December 2017
    I have an I7 overclocked at 4.4ghz and 32 gb of ram and i'm laggin. It's not specs.