[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What exactly is bad about nexon launcher?

ArlongArlong
Reactions: 4,645
edited January 2018 in Tech Support
I been hearing for a while that nexon launcher is terrible but can someone give me specific reasons?

Comments

• foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    Like everytime you start it,there is a chance that you have to redownload the whole game.
    Also the repair function doesn't really work.
    Besides that it also happens that you press Play and nothing happens, game doesnt start.

The old maple launcher never had these problems.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    Bugs:
    1. Randomly decides to redownload the whole game instead of patching or just running it.
    2. Fails to recognize that the client has crashed, or says "product already in use" when trying to launch.
    3. Fails to launch (as foussiremix said, press Play and nothing happens).
    4. Fails to patch (no meaningful error message given).
    5. There are some issues of client stability, especially during startup (things like C++ Runtime errors), which people claim are worse with the Nexon Launcher than with Steam, though I can't see why that would be and have never used Steam launch so I can't confirm it.

Design issues:
    2. Doesn't allow switching accounts without closing and relaunching the client.
    3. Doesn't work on Windows XP (Maplestory works fine, just the Nexon Launcher is unable to update itself)
    4. Ads and other nonsense (random profile names, haphazard game news, etc)

foussiremixPhantomMasterThiefRenni
  • ArlongArlong
    edited January 2018
    hmmm, I haven't run into those issues fortunately. When you say client stability, you mean if you use nexon launcher, the game can lag?
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited January 2018
    Arlong wrote: »
    I been hearing for a while that nexon launcher is terrible but can someone give me specific reasons?

When I crashed it took like 2-5 minutes for the nexon launcher to realize the game was no longer running and back then I crashed about 15-30 times a day (I sometimes used to play up to 18 hours a day, not continuously of course,) so this was a major issue for me which caused me to play through Steam.

Also, when i buy NX through steam, though counted towards NX credit and therefore limited each month, gives me Steam Trading cards which fetch a decent price on the Steam Market, which is like getting a discount towards my next NX purchase.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    Arlong wrote: »
    hmmm, I haven't run into those issues fortunately. When you say client stability, you mean if you use nexon launcher, the game can lag?

Yeah, some lucky people have no issues. Especially those who allow the launcher to install Maple in the default location.

As for client stability, I mean crashes. As I said, "C++ Runtime Error" either during startup (if you click too fast on the region selection or the world/channel) or during gameplay (especially after changing channel). Personally I blame that stuff on the client itself, but some people claim it happens a lot less when they launch from Steam.
    Regarding lag, I have heard some people say that the Launcher "uses more resources than it should" and therefore slows down the computer in general (and the maple client as well), but I haven't experienced that myself.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    Well MapleStory ran better on gamelauncher ect...
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited January 2018
    if you think of it this way, game launcher was directly downloaded with the gamefiles, while launcher is a steam type thing where you download it and them you download the game, it isnt as smooth because nexon launcher has to read the folder you have maplestory files in. too many channels to go through.
  • ArlongArlong
    edited January 2018
    interesting. I might give steam a try and see if that solves my lag issue. I don't have issues with crashing though
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited January 2018
    There's also the fact that sometimes when launching it, it doesn't open properly, and the only way to fix it is to end the process. And then sometimes THAT doesn't work, so you have to wait an eternity for that, or restart your computer.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    The main thing I like better about Steam than the NX Launcher is that it detects crashes WAY faster. Which is a very important asset to have in a game that crashes as much as MapleStory does lol. As far as I can tell, it takes NX Launcher like 30s to a minute to realize MapleStory got died and re-enable the Play button. While Steam realizes it almost instantly. As long as it's not a runtime error.

(I'm also able to use Steam Wallet and such, and get trading cards for it lol)