[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What is a VFM?

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited February 2018 in General Chat
Since getting this position, I and the other new VFMs-in-training have been approached with player requests and questions that make it clear there are some misconceptions in the community regarding this role. So I thought I'd try to make it a little clearer what a VFM is.

VFM stands for Volunteer Forum Moderator. This is what the role was initially: someone who moderates the official forums.
However, the role has expanded over the years, and now VFMs are described as "volunteers in the community team" and basically help the CM with whatever they can. They are not, however, Nexon employees.

From the "How to Apply for VFM" post by Arwoo:

A VFM can, and is expected to (per Arwoo's thread on VFM applications):
- Moderate and participate on the Maple community forums &Discord, uphold the Forum Code of Conduct and enforce the rules fairly
- Assist planning ideas for creative and fun contests.
- Provide a helping hand on community temperature reports.

A VFM cannot:
- Fix bugs in the game, or make any changes to the game at all, even "stop this spamming blue notice".
- Ban or unban players, or even summon a GM to "come look at this shameless hacker!"
- In general do anything in or to the game that any other player can't.

Hopefully this helps dispell a few myths. If you have any more questions, please ask.

Comments

• HolyWatersHolyWaters
    Reactions: 1,030
    edited February 2018
    Congratulations on becoming a VFM, as well as all others who made it! I always felt like you'd be a good VFM.

I'm sorry if this question is out of line, and I mean no disrespect. But is there a need for so many VFMs? It strikes me as a bit odd and somewhat concerning when I think about it. But hey, that's just me, I'm probably just over-analyzing this. Maybe Discord is a really happening place (guess I should check it out sometime).

I can understand though if this question can't be answered. Can be touchy. Regardless, congratulations again!
  • NeonTwilightNeonTwilight
    Reactions: 860
    edited February 2018
    While it is possible some people may have a misconception, you are getting requests from people who are well aware you have no magic wand for one simple reason:

your position as a VFM allows you an additional channel of communication to Nexon. (To quote Okhura's response to various concerns posted on the forum: "It has been forwarded.")

In an environment where people report multiple incidents of being stonewalled by customer services it is no wonder people are trying to appeal to anyone who not only seems to be actually listening but is regarded as being in a position to get hold of someone in Nexon.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    HolyWaters wrote: »
    Congratulations on becoming a VFM, as well as all others who made it! I always felt like you'd be a good VFM.

I'm sorry if this question is out of line, and I mean no disrespect. But is there a need for so many VFMs? It strikes me as a bit odd and somewhat concerning when I think about it. But hey, that's just me, I'm probably just over-analyzing this. Maybe Discord is a really happening place (guess I should check it out sometime).

I can understand though if this question can't be answered. Can be touchy. Regardless, congratulations again!

Thank you for the congratulations :)

That question is probably best asked of Arwoo, since he is the one who decided he needs more VFMs.

However, I will give you my take on it:
    If you reread my VFM application, you'll see that I applied mainly because Arwoo said that the VFMs are community representatives.
    You might also recall that he was looking specifically for a VFM who mains Reboot - further indication that VFMs aren't just forum/Discord policemen (because then why would their world of origin matter)?
    The function of "Provide a helping hand on community temperature reports" is basically where this "representation" comes into action. The more people we have doing that, the less chance of something getting overlooked.

Finally, remember that the four newest VFMs are only VFMs in training. Arwoo initially only wanted one, the Reboot representative. Then, after AlexF left the team, Arwoo said on Discord that he'd be recruiting two: one Reboot and one to replace Alex. We are now four, but it's entirely possible that some of us won't graduate from this training.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2018
    What I am noticing is a sudden active VFM team. Usually their activity is sporadic but recently it's been all at once, most from yesterday into today.