[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Custom mech color won't show in fullscreen mode

SyntelleSyntelle
Reactions: 600
edited June 2018 in Bug Reporting
Bug Type: Graphics

Description
Ever since I updated Windows three days ago, my Mechanic's custom sky blue mech color no longer shows up when I play the game in fullscreen mode. I am currently running MS on a laptop with an integrated graphics card specific to my laptop model. For reference, this is my setup. The first image is from dxdiag and the second shows more info from my Intel Graphics Card Control Panel.

9rBKWJb.png

NX61CEW.png

My laptop is the Asus Zenbook UX330UA. I use the official Nexon Launcher along with a Nexon account ID and password to sign in.

I also always play the game fullscreen, so during testing to determine the cause of this issue, I found that if I enter the game in fullscreen (basically after I enter my PIC) and then use my Humanoid Mech mount skill, my mech's color is not my chosen custom color but the default yellow and black color. After some researching online, I found that this is linked to having an insufficient graphics card that doesn't run Pixel Shader 2. The issue for me is that I have a graphics card that has Pixel Shader 5.1 and have been able to see my custom mech color in the past, meaning that I definitely have a sufficient setup that should enable me to see my mech's color.

In my attempts to solve this issue, I have
- done a full shutdown
- updated my graphics driver via Intel's website and my laptop manufacturer's website (the latter downgraded me to a previous version of my current driver; I later re-downloaded the current update for my graphics driver in the Device Manager control panel)
- tried to update/change my DirectX version, but I run DirectX 12 specific to Windows 10 and can't change it whatsoever
- repaired the installation via Nexon Launcher
- interestingly enough, I found that every time I try to do this again I have a 23.9 MB download; the first time I repaired the installation and launched the game in windowed mode, I was able to see my custom mech color again, but upon switching to fullscreen mode and doing Zakum then leaving the boss map, my mech color became the default yellow and black color once more
- searched Reddit and these official MS forums for solutions/relevant issues with the same root problem
- I found a recent discussion in this forum about how the Chroma Pink Bean color sliders don't preview new colors for some people and that sometimes when a person leaves a map with their custom colored PB pet, it reverts to the default pink. My gut is telling me that this issue I am having is a graphics bug linked to the game not being able to recognize that users' computers have a graphics card with Pixel Shader 2 or above.
- restarted the game multiple times under different conditions, such as entering the game in windowed mode and following these Support Center FAQs (1, 2) to single out certain software/programs that could cause the issue along with performing a clean boot

Steps to Reproduce the Bug
During the stage where I aimlessly tried random conditions to start MS in, I found that if I started the game in windowed mode, or if I started the game fullscreen and then changed to windowed mode before entering my PIC, my custom mech color would show upon logging in. If I then switched to fullscreen mode and entered the Cash Shop, or switched to fullscreen mode then entered a boss fight and leave, my mech color showed up as the default yellow and black instead of my custom sky blue color.

After this discovery, I restarted the game once more and reverted to windowed mode before entering my PIC. My mech color was the expected custom color. I then entered and exited Cash Shop, still in windowed mode, and my mech remained in my expected custom color. So far, the only way I can avoid this bug is to enter the game in windowed mode and continue to play it in that mode.

On the other hand, if I started the game in fullscreen mode and continued to enter the game with my Mechanic character in that mode, my mech color would be the default yellow and black.

Summary of Bug Reproduction Steps
When I played the game shortly after this week's scheduled maintenance, my mech color was still its designated custom color, but upon downloading Windows updates later that day and re-entering the game, my mech reverted to the default color.

1. Before entering game with specific char, switch from fullscreen to windowed mode with Alt+Enter command OR start up game in windowed mode
2. Choose char and login with PIC
3. Use Humanoid Mech skill to mount Mech
- Mech custom color appears only in windowed mode, once you go full screen and enter Cash Shop or enter then exit boss map, mech color shows up as default color and not the desired custom color
- EDIT: Minimizing the game with the Alt+Tab shortcut causes my Mech color to revert to the default yellow and black color after following the above steps

OR

1. Start game in fullscreen mode and continue to choose char, enter PIC
2. Use Humanoid Mech skill to mount Mech
- Mech color has “changed” to default Mech color (yellow and black) instead of expected custom color

Summary of the test I ran to see which parts of the game revert my custom mech color to the default
1. Enter game in windowed mode
2. Use Humanoid Mech skill to mount Mech
- Mech color is expected custom color (in my case, sky blue)
3. Use portal to enter another map
- Mech color remains unchanged
4. Walk back to previous map and enter Cash Shop, then exit Cash Shop
5. Change channels
6. Press Alt+Enter to go into fullscreen mode, then enter and exit Cash Shop once more
- Mech color has “changed” to default Mech color (yellow and black) instead of expected custom color

From the few tests I have run regarding this bug, I can safely say that this issue is not due to my computer having an insufficient graphics card and drivers, but the fact that going fullscreen and experiencing parts of the game that resize the window/change resolution (i.e. logging into a character, entering Cash Shop, minimizing the game with Alt+Tab) somehow stops the game from recognizing that my computer has Pixel Shader running.

More Specifics
Character Name: Conscerto
Character Level: 158
Character Job: Mechanic
World Name: Reboot
Date and Time of Incident: June 8, around 1am EDT

As you can already tell, I am very concerned about character customization and know absolutely nothing about computers (let alone troubleshooting them), so thanks for reading this far and I hope that anyone else experiencing this problem or something similar will speak up and encourage Nexon to address this issue as soon as possible (i.e. Kaisers who can't see their custom armor color or disgruntled Chroma Pink Bean pet owners).