[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Newbie questions

MordaemMordaem
Reactions: 100
edited August 2018 in General Chat
Looking to start playing maplestory on the reboot server. I've played a bit before years and years ago, I think Evan had just come out. Just looking for a bit of clarification on a few issues.

1. Is there a difference between the pets in the cash shop other than cosmets?

2. Is it worth it to buy the pet snacks and have multiple pets in the early game or is that more of a late game deal?

3. I know pet skills like the auto buff aren't going to be useful until you actually have a buff to use, but what pet skills should I start with?

4. I've been leaning towards playing a Dark Knight, would that be a decent class to main in the beginning?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 2018
    1. Strictly speaking, no. There are certain pets which give stat bonuses when bought in groups, but the overall effect is minimal and these pets do not have bonuses on Reboot.
    2. I've never noticed a difference between 1 pet and multiple pets. If there is a difference, it's not one that makes much of an impact on free-to-play players on Reboot (who mostly go for the Blackheart pet obtained from fighting Hilla).
    3. All pets start with item/meso pickup, which is the main benefit from a pet. Auto-Move and Expanded Auto-Move let your pet move around to collect items, which might be helpful. Auto-Buff and Auto-Pot I've never found really useful, if for the sole reason that I like buffing and healing myself (doubly so during bosses like Chaos Crimson Queen, who can zombify you and make it so that potions hurt you instead).
    4. The important part is finding a class that's fun to play. Despite a lot of people who insist on using flawed damage charts (which honestly should have been thrown out the window the minute it was found out a handful of players in KMS were faking them to get classes buffed/nerfed), playstyle is the most important and most classes are equal except in certain circumstances or extreme end-game (I.E. a point most players aren't going to reach).
  • MordaemMordaem
    Reactions: 100
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the info and the prompt response. One other thing I was going to ask was when/where do you get the maple reward points?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Reward points are obtained through several methods.
    • When you purchase items using NX in the cash shop, you receive a fraction of that NX spent as a reimbursement of reward points. NX Prepaid counts, I'm not sure about credit, and Maple Points do not count.
    • Bosses give anywhere between 20-50 reward points upon kill, depending on boss level (low-level theme dungeon bosses give 20 or so, most bosses like Zakum, Root Abyss, and Pink Bean give 50). You can claim these reward points through the icon on the left-hand side shaped like a pink, round box with a ribbon on top.
    • Reward point tokens are given out as rewards for Sudden Missions rarely. About 500 or so per chip.
    • Monster Collection is the easiest method. When you kill mobs you have a chance of adding them to your collection (not to be confused with the Monster Book, which is obtained by picking up the cards that drop). If you collect all of the mobs in a set (usually about 5 mobs per set), you can send those mobs out on expeditions. After a set amount of time (depending on the set), you get rewards like cubes, spell traces, reward points, trait items, and flames. There should be a quest from Spiegelman which explains the system in-game.
    • Finally, events give reward points. The upcoming hot week should have a 1000-point token plus the ability to double it if you collect all 7 rewards, for example.

If the points are obtained in-game (from bosses/monster collection/events), you have to clear them in the cash shop first. There's also a few limits on how much you can claim per day and such, and reward points expire if not used for a month.