[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Elite Monsters One Shotting?

HousePetHousePet
Reactions: 1,245
edited September 2018 in General Chat
Great so I almost had this post finished and the website decided to jam and discard the whole "draft saved" thing. Trying again...
Wow, it jammed a second time, but I had it copied...

I've just got my Wild Hunter to level 178. However around level 170 Elite Monsters went from something to spam all attacks at to get some loot, even though it breaks the combo kill counter; to something I change channel to avoid being one shot by. Is this normal?
I possibly have some very suboptimal equipment due to levelling up with the Mega Burning event and missing lots of content. I'm still using the Frozen equipment as it doesn't seem to be better than the Pensalir Sentinel equipment. Other slots are filled with whatever I've found along the way. (Which includes a Pensilar Sentinel gloves and some Muspell Bowman boots that I haven't upgraded from yet as they have a bonus +3% to all stats on them.) The Frozen equipment is starred to 8 and the others are at maximum or 6, as going higher gets tedious. Rings, Belt and Shoulder slots could certainly be better, but I'm not sure they are going to be improving things that much...
Stats:
HP: 17k. Def: 6700. Damage reduction: 25% from Armour Crimson and Call of the Wild. Evasion/Avoid: 55% (apparently, it seems less) from Call of the Wild and Flurry. Damage: 77k-90k (49% bonus) though perhaps not relevant here.

Comments

• RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited September 2018
    Going full math on this one https://strategywiki.org/wiki/MapleStory/Formulas#Monster.27s_Damage, the only logical explanation is that you are training in a star force map when you don't meet the star force requirement.

Normal Monster
    Monster around lv 170 typically have on average 8000 attack power (6400 defense required to take minimum damage, so with 6700 defense they should deal 1240 damage to you, 930 damage with the 25% damage reduction.
    Assuming elite version of the monster have 1.5x attack power, they would have on average 12000 attack power (9600 defense required to take minimum damage, so with 6700 defense they should deal 2975 damage to you, 2231 with the 25% damage reduction)

Starforce monster
    Star force monster around lv 170 typically have on average 12000 attack power (9600 defense required to take minimum damage, so with 6700 defense they should deal 2975 damage to you, 2231 with the 25% damage reduction).
    Assuming elite version of the monster have 1.5x attack power, they would have on average 18000 attack power (14400 defense required to take minimum damage, so with 6700 defense they should deal 7310 damage to you, 5482 with the 25% damage reduction)
    If you are training in a star force map and you only meet 70% to 99% of the requirement, monsters get a another 1.6x boost to their attack power, so an elite version would have 28800 attack power (23040 defense required to take minimum damage, so with 6700 defense they should deal 15113 damage to you, 11334 damage with the 25% damage reduction, which is enough to two-shot you)
  • HousePetHousePet
    edited September 2018
    Definitely not doing any star force maps. (I had noticed the rather large damage numbers from them and just stayed away.) Nice maths though.

Maybe I'm just getting unlucky with the random mods, or they are using multiple hit attacks that are not displaying correctly due to latency issues.
  • HousePetHousePet
    edited September 2018
    Hrm, it might have just been from enemies being a few too many levels higher than me. As I was playing around against Advanced Knights and dying to Elite Monsters there, but I just tried an hour against Black Robosaucers and while it was still difficult, no sudden deaths.