[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Returning player

DragaoBonitoDragaoBonito
Reactions: 210
in General Chat
Well I remember playing this game...15 years ago? Has it been out that long? I played for about 4 years. Well I just picked it back up and the differences are staggering.

Back when I played quests were mostly useless fetch quests that didn't yield anything worthwhile. There seems to be more of a focus on quests it's quite overwhelming. Is this the case or do people still ignore them and just grind?

Where the heck is the free market? Where do people trade now?

And lastly what is the best server to join where I can actually find other players to party up with. I tried breya which is one of the original servers I played in but its almost too full?

Comments

• LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2018
    The free market got removed in the update patch notes and about finding players and party up with the players in game server is very hard unfortunately...
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Questing is not necessarily a focus for power-leveling but it is necessary to complete the level 200+ area Arcane River, as well as the final area confronting the Black Mage (Tenebris). In addition: several characters (such as Cadena and Illium) cannot gain EXP outside of starting areas if certain story quests are not completed, most characters cannot job advance if certain story quests are not completed, and certain bosses (Lotus, Damien, Chaos Root Abyss, Magnus) cannot be accessed unless their corresponding quests (Black Heaven, Heroes of Maple, Root Abyss, and Heliseum questlines respectively) are completed.

The free market was shut down in favor of the Auction House. To access the Auction House, click on the menu bar with three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner of the screen, then select "Auction House". You can only do this in towns. Any tradeable item can be sold on the Auction House without the need to purchase a store permit. 10 items can be sold at a given time (24 if you qualify for MVP status), and mesos/unsold items can be reclaimed in the "Transactions" tab.
    Buying works the same way, you can browse a list of items available in the "Buy" tab, and filter the results accordingly using the filter tab on the left-hand side.

You should seek out a guild that matches your interests and is friendly to newcomers. While I can't advise you on any specific guild since I, personally, don't pay much attention to them, my best advice is to actively look for one, rather than expecting players to come to you. There should be plenty of guilds in Bera that will take you.
    DragaoBonito
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    Well considering GMS has only had 13 anniversary events, saying 15 years might be a tad of a stretch (unless your counting time you were playing other versions).

To semi-simplify stuff Neospector said, the only quests most people focus on are prerequisites for bosses (such as Lotus, Damien, etc) and dailies (usually for Arcane symbols in the +200 Arcane River maps).

Can't claim it's the best, but I'm on Scania with an active guild if you want to join us here. =L
    DragaoBonitoLilyflower
  • DragaoBonitoDragaoBonito
    edited October 2018
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Well considering GMS has only had 13 anniversary events, saying 15 years might be a tad of a stretch (unless your counting time you were playing other versions).

To semi-simplify stuff Neospector said, the only quests most people focus on are prerequisites for bosses (such as Lotus, Damien, etc) and dailies (usually for Arcane symbols in the +200 Arcane River maps).

Can't claim it's the best, but I'm on Scania with an active guild if you want to join us here. =L

Hence the question mark. Im 30 years old and i remember playing it in high school. My buddies and I signed up for the beta release. Its been a while. Thanks for your input!
    YinYangX
  • DragaoBonitoDragaoBonito
    edited October 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    Questing is not necessarily a focus for power-leveling but it is necessary to complete the level 200+ area Arcane River, as well as the final area confronting the Black Mage (Tenebris). In addition: several characters (such as Cadena and Illium) cannot gain EXP outside of starting areas if certain story quests are not completed, most characters cannot job advance if certain story quests are not completed, and certain bosses (Lotus, Damien, Chaos Root Abyss, Magnus) cannot be accessed unless their corresponding quests (Black Heaven, Heroes of Maple, Root Abyss, and Heliseum questlines respectively) are completed.

The free market was shut down in favor of the Auction House. To access the Auction House, click on the menu bar with three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner of the screen, then select "Auction House". You can only do this in towns. Any tradeable item can be sold on the Auction House without the need to purchase a store permit. 10 items can be sold at a given time (24 if you qualify for MVP status), and mesos/unsold items can be reclaimed in the "Transactions" tab.
    Buying works the same way, you can browse a list of items available in the "Buy" tab, and filter the results accordingly using the filter tab on the left-hand side.

You should seek out a guild that matches your interests and is friendly to newcomers. While I can't advise you on any specific guild since I, personally, don't pay much attention to them, my best advice is to actively look for one, rather than expecting players to come to you. There should be plenty of guilds in Bera that will take you.

Very informative thank you very much! Answered my questions perfectly.