[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

World merges?

AggraphineAggraphine
Reactions: 19,415
edited November 2018 in General Chat
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, it's not a suggestion of "hey merge servers".

I just want to know if the matter of half of the servers being ghost towns is still an on-going discussion of some sort, with a solution that doesn't screw people out of hard-earned monster collections in the works.

Comments

• DeadlingDeadling
    Reactions: 730
    edited November 2018
    Since they don't let names dupe between worlds, would be simple in theory. But merging databases like that would be huge. They'd probably have to take the game down for several days to work out issues. Or have one hell of a big sandbox to play in first.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2018
    I'm honestly not sure what all is, or would be, required to merge worlds together. But I know that 18 worlds is several more than the current state of the game warrants having. They can easily be cut down to 3-4 non-reboot servers and reboot itself, with 30-40 channels each.

Again, not sure of the logistics. Still want to know if this is still under consideration, since the two big alliance worlds are probably limping along with less than a couple hundred players apiece, while scania and windia likely have only a few hundred players.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2018
    I can share that this topic is one of our most prioritized and discussed topics. However, the discussions aren't about world merges, it's more so about various worlds and their populations. World merge would be one of the discussed solutions, but there may be other alternatives.

But yeah, it's not a forgotten issue, but there's no final decision yet on how we plan to tackle the issue with population and the large number of worlds.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2018
    What other alternatives would there be?
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2018
    Alliances, another world leap event, world change coupons, etc. . .

I wouldn't limit it to just these three either and we're very well aware with the individual issues that each of the three above would cause. However, feel more than welcomed to discuss which option the community feels is best to address current world populations.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2018
    Well I'd like to start off by asking that alliances be removed from any and all future consideration for solving problems. They don't help as evidenced by the fact that there are two alliance worlds made up of six worlds each and they're still rock-bottom population-wise. It might be the easiest on your end of things to go that route, but after a certain point you may end up with 18 individual worlds that, in practice, are two servers plus reboot.

Perhaps it would be best to simply open up another world transfer event with no restrictions and all the kinks are ironed out, so no one is stuck outside of a world because of rings or "server full"-type errors, then let it run for a week or two and let the cards fall where they may.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    What are our options to choose from? When can we expect this to be dealt with?
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited November 2018
    Arwoo wrote: »

I wouldn't limit it to just these three either and we're very well aware with the individual issues that each of the three above would cause. However, feel more than welcomed to discuss which option the community feels is best to address current world populations.

Personally, I would not choose world leap as people would most likely join Bera instead of choosing to even themselves out. Whether you guys allow us free world leaps or sell coupons to one or all our characters, it will be a pain to redo monster collection.

Allying GRAZED and MYBCKN would combine populations and expand the theoretical character roster to 552 (we each have 276 at the moment since 46 slots x 6 worlds at the moment.) Merging will serve as a problem for people who passed the 46 slot limit by expanding their roster in another world in the alliance. Ally the quiet servers so we can see each other without sacrificing character slots or have to redo monster collections.

• AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    Arwoo wrote: »

Personally, I would not choose world leap as people would most likely join Bera instead of choosing to even themselves out. Whether you guys allow us free world leaps or sell coupons to one or all our characters, it will be a pain to redo monster collection.

Allying GRAZED and MYBCKN would combine populations and expand the theoretical character roster to 552 (we each have 276 at the moment since 46 slots x 6 worlds at the moment.) Merging will serve as a problem for people who passed the 46 slot limit by expanding their roster in another world in the alliance. Ally the quiet servers so we can see each other without sacrificing character slots or have to redo monster collections.

See now, this is the problem nexon caused for themselves with world alliances instead of outright merges. Now you have to appease the people who decided to make an assload of mules to, among other less-prevalent things, abuse events and the like.

The easiest way to handle this would of course be to tell people to pound sand and pick 46 characters they don't want to lose. Next up is doing like jms did and just shoving everything into one world and the hell with whatever the character limit is(while also not allowing people to keep character slots above 46)

And to be quite honest, no one needs 552 characters, never mind 276, for any reason. At worst people lose a few storage mules, nothing major.
  • pommepouffepommepouffe
    Reactions: 1,660
    edited November 2018
    I hope that whatever the solution ends up being, the option of playing in a quieter world is still included. A lot of us in the small worlds like it as is.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    Reactions: 730
    edited November 2018
    I really only ever played in Broa. I started some on another server when it was new, but don't care about those characters. I'd even say merge the original big servers alone, bera, scania, broa, and there was a 4th but it escapes me atm. Scaberoa, lol.
    Reactions: 735
    edited November 2018
    At first I was not for a world merge ect.. but now come to think of it, do it!
    Here is what's gonna happen in the case of a world merge.

Their will be a lot of crowding, prices on a lot of things are gonna drop to almost nothing, imagine all worlds but reboot together, their will be tons of gear worth hardly anything, Level 200 gear will likely be max mesos as soon as tons of the gear is in the auction house prices will drop just like they have been for countless other gear when every one has level 200 gear on all the mules the gear piles up in the auction house.

Likely gonna be a lot of lag, possible ks wars.

Good news is it will likely kill off all of the botters just because of the drop in mesos.

Even if their is a world transfer event you can still take stuff from one server to another which will help drop the price on a lot of items

I'm curious as to know why all these years why the monsters were never made invisible to other players on the map unless they were in a party.

I think making it so 2-3 people could be in a map training and each player would have their own spawn this could've fixed the ksing years ago...
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    2600 wrote: »
    Their will be a lot of crowding, prices on a lot of things are gonna drop to almost nothing, imagine all worlds but reboot together, their will be tons of gear worth hardly anything, Level 200 gear will likely be max mesos as soon as tons of the gear is in the auction house prices will drop just like they have been for countless other gear when every one has level 200 gear on all the mules the gear piles up in the auction house.

Good news is it will likely kill off all of the botters just because of the drop in mesos.

Even if their is a world transfer event you can still take stuff from one server to another which will help drop the price on a lot of items

That's not at all what will happen.
    Sure the market might rock a bit at the start, as it did when everyone moved to Bera. The people from worlds where there was low supply will quickly start buying what's available in the other markets. Prices will then go back to something similar to what they were before in the market that was the largest of the worlds, also depending on the value of meso of course.
    Level 200 gear won't be as readily available as you imagine it to be, because it's gated by the droplet availability, the amount of parties that can frequently clear hlucid and hwill, as well as RNG and demand for certain items over others. Plus the fact that people are constantly in need for more arcane gear (and meso) as they strive for 22-stars, and switching mains left and right.

The botters all moved to Bera, where the demand for their meso/items is higher due to higher population. In turn their activity is causing massive strain on the server, resulting in what is now known as Bera-lag.
    The botters follow the population, and increase in population also increases demand, and if supply of items/meso can't keep up with the demand, the prices go up. Botters will not stop because there's a higher population, if anything they'll want an even bigger piece of the cake, so to speak.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Is the black mage progress global or do we get screwed over on small servers yet again?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2018
    JushiroNet wrote: »
    Is the black mage progress global or do we get screwed over on small servers yet again?

I'm reasonably sure, from what I've read on Max's blog, that it's global.