[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

is MapleStory dying?

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2019
    the correct question is, "is Global Maplestory Dying" because in other regions, it's not. interest may be dwindling in gms but it doesn't mean it's dying.

The biggest issue is the number of worlds. Back when this game was more popular, they added worlds willy-nilly and, I guess, never accounted for a dip in popularity causing many of those worlds to slide off and become barren.
    Fuhreak
  • DiximaNDiximaN
    Reactions: 1,390
    edited February 2019
    10 years ago, the big thing was MapleStory/ now the big thing is Fortnite. When a game's 15 minutes of fame are over, another game gets them.
    Darches
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited February 2019
    how come this thread its not removed/sinked ? tho it was only possible on reddit
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    how come this thread its not removed/sinked ? tho it was only possible on reddit

Because, thus far, it's been actual civil discussion. And it's not declaring the game to be dead, it's asking if it's dying.
    WONDERGUY
  • Roni777Roni777
    Reactions: 1,180
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    In Reboot, This is what happened on 2x event around few months ago. We had 20 channels. on 2x event, 99% of the map in Arcana (which has over 20+ maps) are full on all 20 channels avaialble. Lachlein, also have majority of the maps full on all 20 channels. that is how crowded is Reboot. Some of the maps are really good. on 2x event, if you want to grab those best maps, you need to even keep /hold the map 1 day before with your friends. I would not just say Reboot as crowded. Possibly overcrowded. I know the population bar is not full. But once you play in it, it is pack with players. Even now with 30 channels avaialble, on normal days, you still see 25 out of 30 maps on best map still fill up with players nonstop.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    Roni777 wrote: »
    In Reboot, This is what happened on 2x event around few months ago. We had 20 channels. on 2x event, 99% of the map in Arcana (which has over 20+ maps) are full on all 20 channels avaialble. Lachlein, also have majority of the maps full on all 20 channels. that is how crowded is Reboot. Some of the maps are really good. on 2x event, if you want to grab those best maps, you need to even keep /hold the map 1 day before with your friends. I would not just say Reboot as crowded. Possibly overcrowded. I know the population bar is not full. But once you play in it, it is pack with players. Even now with 30 channels avaialble, on normal days, you still see 25 out of 30 maps on best map still fill up with players nonstop.

To be fair, half of the issue of crowding is that everyone wants to go to the absolute most efficient map for grinding or farming mesos. No one wants to go to the second- or third-best areas.

You'll see this same thing on the first day whenever a new class is released, all of the stopping points for the fastest, most efficient grind will be utterly swamped. Red golems in henesys, violet clam slimes and octopus slimes in gold beach, silent swamp just outside of sleepywood, whatever el nath map has the white fangs, and sahel 2 to name a few.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited February 2019

thats not real representaition of how server its populated,
    only close and rough we can get from things like (flag/GM event/share micro site/daily online on discord/reddit/forum)
    the number seen now (at prime time) are far far lower then any normal-working day(prob 1/3 of when it was prime time)
    the thing its wording
    when people say GMS dead or if GMS dying it has other meanings
    ofcourse GMS has players and it will have but its far less people then before and it will get even lower

as you can see they mostly "leech" from KMS far less unique content almost nonone , they closed EMS and other regions
    people sense something its not as it was and its normal to call/lable as dying/dead
    so GMS mostlike will stay as long as KMS sends their support
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019

Stop playing on the "meta maps" and you'll stop seeing people. I can go entire days without seeing anyone in arcane river just by grinding on maps that don't have a daily quest associated with them.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »

Stop playing on the "meta maps" and you'll stop seeing people. I can go entire days without seeing anyone in arcane river just by grinding on maps that don't have a daily quest associated with them.

Basically all of the out-of-the-way or untouched maps, the ones where you frequently see elite bosses spawned on normal servers by bots. The former 360 arcane power maps in vanishing journey for one.

It's like I said in my prior post: everyone is so caught up in chasing efficiency in leveling speed, so beholden to the meta, that they stick to the same string of a dozen or so maps from level 1 all the way up to wherever they stop leveling. That's why you can channel surf and never find a free channel in forsaken excavation site 2, but you'll never see a soul in forsaken excavation sites 1, 3 and 4.
    Fuhreak
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »

Basically all of the out-of-the-way or untouched maps, the ones where you frequently see elite bosses spawned on normal servers by bots. The former 360 arcane power maps in vanishing journey for one.

It's like I said in my prior post: everyone is so caught up in chasing efficiency in leveling speed, so beholden to the meta, that they stick to the same string of a dozen or so maps from level 1 all the way up to wherever they stop leveling. That's why you can channel surf and never find a free channel in forsaken excavation site 2, but you'll never see a soul in forsaken excavation sites 1, 3 and 4.

Sometimes I feel its awful to live in an underpopulated server, but at least I never have to compete with anyone for the best training spots.

WONDERGUY
  • TimeEdgeTimeEdge
    Reactions: 810
    edited February 2019
    You haven't seen the Luna server then (Europe). The merge kinda killed it, there are currently more botters in henesys than actual players.
    WONDERGUY
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    edited February 2019
    TimeEdge wrote: »
    You haven't seen the Luna server then (Europe). The merge kinda killed it, there are currently more botters in henesys than actual players.

thats so true luna server (EMS) become ghost town
    the p2w change-restriction was so big from EMS to GMS (most in GMS dont know what cash trade its or maybe heard but dont know how to do)
    no GM or very very rare (they hardly came for events so they made automated notification for GM events )
    reboot came late in ems
    most if not all of us are in gms
    so luna its like other non reboot servers in GMS with few people that are forced to stay cus ping
  • ShiroiSenkouAgainShiroiSenkouAgain
    Reactions: 370
    edited February 2019
    I don't think the game is going anywhere with the number of whales playing the game.

Though I would really like to see Nexon make the normal server more accessible to new comers. Because right now, if you are a new player and you aren't playing reboot, well... You are going to quit to moment when you hit Lv 210 because some of the necessity is still lying behind a paywall.

If they can make the normal server more accessible like reboot, I think the game might be able to make a small comeback.
    Jennnnnnnnnn
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited February 2019
    I don't think the game is going anywhere with the number of whales playing the game.

Though I would really like to see Nexon make the normal server more accessible to new comers. Because right now, if you are a new player and you aren't playing reboot, well... You are going to quit to moment when you hit Lv 210 because some of the necessity is still lying behind a paywall.

If they can make the normal server more accessible like reboot, I think the game might be able to make a small comeback.

Its not impossible to get past 210 while remaining F2P, its just made so inhumanly grindy and tedious to force you to purchase stuff from the shop. It is a system a would prefer to see fixed, there is only so much money you can get from those whales before they leave, and without anyone replacing them you start slowly but surely taking losses.
    FuhreakSlicedTimeWONDERGUY
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »

Its not impossible to get past 210 while remaining F2P, its just made so inhumanly grindy and tedious to force you to purchase stuff from the shop. It is a system a would prefer to see fixed, there is only so much money you can get from those whales before they leave, and without anyone replacing them you start slowly but surely taking losses.

226 f2p here
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited March 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    HuskyDM wrote: »

226 f2p here

210 f2p myself. Keep on fighting the good fight.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019
    The black mage stuff was pretty nuts. Got from 222 to 224 just farming determination for a while, then cheesed my way to 225 with one of the growth pots.
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    -Deleted, accidently double post -
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    Dieing what?

Everyone now is playing at Reboot server. On 2x event yesterday, Took me totals around 2 hours to surfing maps because all good farming maps in Arcana were full. All 30 channels and several maps are full. In the end i gave up and farm on the bad map. All channels are full. Full of players. after 14 hours, i finally manged to get 1 good map. And every 5-10 mins i saw players entering my map to search for farming map lmao. Reboot is way too crowded xD

Even on the old days, before bigbang,i have never seen this many players......
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    @Shirou, It is clear to Nexon, if you want to play Maplestory with cash support and doesn't have much time to play, can go to Normal server. But if you are not a whale, Reboot server is there for us. You can still spend cash for cosmetics, but it won't help you getting stronger. And you need to spend time. If you don't have cash and don't have time either, just play casually on reboot.

As through time playing on normal server, when changes comes it will always be cash eating, coz it is meant for people who is willing to spend cash. So you will always lose, especially when new equips gets released, all the cash whales will have all the advantages.