[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nameless town too hard

InovamedInovamed
Reactions: 675
edited March 2019 in General Chat
Well, I'm new to nameless town and couldnt find out how the place works and how to do the quests there.
I just entered the first map, and died in a few seconds. I couldnt attack.
How to hunt there without getting killed and how to complete the quests?
Thanks

Comments

• MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    The first quest, which is killing 10 Happy Erdas, is, indeed, difficult, and can actually kill you pretty quickly (my Cadena got killed in 1 hit). Once you beat that quest, you'll get an item that will reduce the damage you take and increase the damage you deal. However, the 2nd and 3rd areas, depending on how high your range is, are going to be realllllly difficult for you to complete. I would suggest asking a friend/guildmate who has already completed these quests to help you, as it will save you a LOT of time/death. If you're in Scania I can help you out, otherwise you'll have to ask someone in your server.
  • InovamedInovamed
    edited March 2019
    Mira wrote: »
    The first quest, which is killing 10 Happy Erdas, is, indeed, difficult, and can actually kill you pretty quickly (my Cadena got killed in 1 hit). Once you beat that quest, you'll get an item that will reduce the damage you take and increase the damage you deal. However, the 2nd and 3rd areas, depending on how high your range is, are going to be realllllly difficult for you to complete. I would suggest asking a friend/guildmate who has already completed these quests to help you, as it will save you a LOT of time/death. If you're in Scania I can help you out, otherwise you'll have to ask someone in your server.
    Ah, I'm in Luna. Yes, I have a quest that require me to kill 10 happy erdas - but I cant kill even 1 of them without dying in a few seconds.
    If someone else hunts them - does it count for my quest?
    How can I do it alone if I cant find help? I die the moment they touch me.
  • InovamedInovamed
    edited March 2019
    I found another problem, when I go to them they cast a curse on me that I cant use potions to heal myself. Is that normal?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Inovamed wrote: »
    I found another problem, when I go to them they cast a curse on me that I cant use potions to heal myself. Is that normal?

That's an anti-AFK mob. They spawn in all Arcane River maps as a flying variant of one of the mobs in the area, so in Vanishing Journey it should look like a Lantern Erda:
    Mob_Lantern_Erda.png
    There's only ever one per map and it takes a while to respawn.

If you don't have the Arcane Force or damage to kill them immediately, they can be knocked back and stunned fairly easily. Keep your distance and use the attack with the longest reach you have. The potion lock debuff can be cleared using the Hero's Will/Nova Temperance/Akatsuki Blossoms/whatever it is for your class skill.
    I'd also recommend adding more stars to your equipment to increase your damage and health. You don't have to go to Arcane River immediately after unlocking it, you can spend some time in Dark World Tree or Scrapyard to level up while your damage is still low.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019

It's not the Happy Erdas that do this, it's the green Lantern of Erda flying monster.

Try to find someone at Nameless Town to help you with this quest. If you party up then their kills will count for you (as long as you're in the same map).
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2019
    Neospector wrote: »

That's an anti-AFK mob. They spawn in all Arcane River maps as a flying variant of one of the mobs in the area, so in Vanishing Journey it should look like a Lantern Erda:
    Mob_Lantern_Erda.png
    There's only ever one per map and it takes a while to respawn.

If you don't have the Arcane Force or damage to kill them immediately, they can be knocked back and stunned fairly easily. Keep your distance and use the attack with the longest reach you have. The potion lock debuff can be cleared using the Hero's Will/Nova Temperance/Akatsuki Blossoms/whatever it is for your class skill.
    I'd also recommend adding more stars to your equipment to increase your damage and health. You don't have to go to Arcane River immediately after unlocking it, you can spend some time in Dark World Tree or Scrapyard to level up while your damage is still low.

Unless somebody else enters the map, then it respawns as soon as they enter.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Not as far as I've seen? If this does happen, and I don't think it does, it was killed far too quickly for it to matter in my experience.
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019

Not as far as I've seen? If this does happen, and I don't think it does, it was killed far too quickly for it to matter in my experience.

It is an intermittent issue. It doesn't happen all the time, but I have had it happen to me.
  • CrystalOraCrystalOra
    Reactions: 3,135
    edited March 2019
    I have seen the anti hacking monster respawn if someone enters the map with you. They also respawn after a set time. Anyone new to the 5th job area really needs to ask for help to do the first quests. I have done that area on four characters and even very well equipped it was difficult to start.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019

I've seen the damned things spawn as soon as someone else entered the map with no regard toward when I last killed one on several occasions. Happened most frequently at clp.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019

It does happen, however like you said it doesn't really matter. Unless you're AFK, which was the point of the mob in the first place.
    Which is probably why it has the behavior.
  • CrystalOraCrystalOra
    Reactions: 3,135
    edited March 2019
    Really hard on characters that are new to the area. Someone just passing through the map can get a new 5th job character killed. Those anti afk mobs are not picky about who they attack. After all they lock your ability to heal and if your already taking heavy damage from the monsters...back to town you go!
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »

It does happen, however like you said it doesn't really matter. Unless you're AFK, which was the point of the mob in the first place.

Because someone who just walked (or cc'ed or teleported) into the map might be AFK?

The anti-AFK mobs' "point" is served by their spawning every 5 minutes while someone is in the map. Their spawning the instant someone comes into the map only serves to kill people lagging on log-in (or stuck with popup windows slowing them down) and low-AF characters trying to complete the story quests. It has nothing to do with fighting AFK'ers.
    SlicedTime
  • ThatNinjalolThatNinjalol
    Reactions: 500
    edited March 2019
    What's your ign? ( can send as a PM I think if you don't wanna say it here) I play on Luna too and can help ya if needed.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    Fuhreak wrote: »

Because someone who just walked (or cc'ed or teleported) into the map might be AFK?

The anti-AFK mobs' "point" is served by their spawning every 5 minutes while someone is in the map. Their spawning the instant someone comes into the map only serves to kill people lagging on log-in (or stuck with popup windows slowing them down) and low-AF characters trying to complete the story quests. It has nothing to do with fighting AFK'ers.

The only reason they even exist is because of a Korean mindset of squatting in maps to claim them. That has never existed in gms so these thrice-damned things have never had a purpose outside of killing people for no reason. You can't even get up to pee or grab food/drink without worrying about coming back to a tombstone, floating ghost and one of those little bastards bouncing around you.

And before anyone else interjects, no it is absolutely not reasonable to tell someone "oh just go back to town if you have to afk". Why should I, or anyone else, have to go from below the cave back to nameless town and back again because of needing food, or water, or a quick trip to the toilet? That's absurd. This whole damned thing is absurd and these things should have never been added in the first place.
    SlicedTime