[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

I have too many friends

rizariza
Reactions: 3,025
edited April 2019 in General Chat
Ok hard to believe I have a lot of friends but it's true, and I bet some of you do too. do you think we should have a buddy list expansion in MapleStory from 100 to maybe 10,000. I have about a good 900 people I couldn't add and wish to add them. So the question of this thread is should we have an expansion to buddy list beyond 100. I hate deleting people 100x a month and I know some of you feel the same but yea what you all think.
  1. Should we have buddy list expansion beyond 100?12 votes
    1. Yes
       42% (5 votes)
    2. No
       58% (7 votes)

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    If you have that many "friends" then you're going to be forced to ignore the majority or not really even know them that well.
    If you want bigger groups of people just make a guild/guild alliance.
    It doesn't hurt anybody to have this expansion, sure. But do we really need the ability to add everyone on the server to our friend list?
    Personally I've held a group of around a dozen people close to me my whole life. It works out way better than surrounding myself with people I barely know.
    YinYangXSlicedTimeKuronekonova
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    If you have that many "friends" then you're going to be forced to ignore the majority or not really even know them that well.
    If you want bigger groups of people just make a guild/guild alliance.
    It doesn't hurt anybody to have this expansion, sure. But do we really need the ability to add everyone on the server to our friend list?
    Personally I've held a group of around a dozen people close to me my whole life. It works out way better than surrounding myself with people I barely know.

Yea but not everyone wants to join your alliance or maybe there could be other reasons for it. With a buddy list expansion, you can span your community and make it bigger. I don't think to have 1000 friends mean you ignore the majority of them. I ran ursus raids in khroa and manage runs for about 20-30 different alliances, most to all of them I was able to communicate and make great runs with without issues or other stuff. I think expansion can be a great thing. I hate deleting people off my buddy list as it shows one is more important than the other and that's not great at all. Also yea you can barely know someone til you take time out your comfort zone to get to know them. Some times the people you hate or have bad feelings about can be solved by simple communication and taking time to get to know their persona, not the one you think it is but what it truly is. "Wise words, Wise words ;) "
    Mawg
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited April 2019
    I see your point and don't see a reason NOT to increase the maximum friend capacity, though I struggle to understand how you've managed to reach the current cap in a way that forces you to constantly delete existing friends.

I also doubt that one could manage hundreds of friends without issue, but that's neither here or there.
    Mawg
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    I see your point and don't see a reason NOT to increase the maximum friend capacity, though I struggle to understand how you've managed to reach the current cap in a way that forces you to constantly delete existing friends.

I also doubt that one could manage hundreds of friends without issue, but that's neither here or there.

its called having a fan club or having way too many friends. If you can manage a guild and fans. you can manage friends and people. Some times I have to get my friends to buddy people for me and like be the middle person :D which is way too much I rather increase the cap to make it nice and civil. But I think people nowadays don't want a lot of friends so yeah I can see it problematic for some ahahaha
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    I don't think to have 1000 friends mean you ignore the majority of them.
    I don't believe it's logically possible to consistently talk to 1000 people on a personal friendship level.
    I don't think this is even possible with 100 people. But whatever floats your boat.

If we're going to do anything with the friend list/system, I'd like to see the whole thing overhauled to be made less annoying.
    Why am I allowed to nickname people if it doesn't use that name when notifying me?
    Why am I constantly being flooded by half-conversations? (Which don't use the name either)
    Why can I not more easily sync up groups to make sure all members are actually friends with each other?

I'd rather just see server wide messages become free or less limited in some way.
    If Nexon wants a community to exist in MapleStory they're going to have to stop locking it behind a paywall/RNG.
    SlicedTimeYinYangX
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019
    I don't think to have 1000 friends mean you ignore the majority of them.
    I don't believe it's logically possible to consistently talk to 1000 people on a personal friendship level.
    I don't think this is even possible with 100 people. But whatever floats your boat.

If we're going to do anything with the friend list/system, I'd like to see the whole thing overhauled to be made less annoying.
    Why am I allowed to nickname people if it doesn't use that name when notifying me?
    Why am I constantly being flooded by half-conversations? (Which don't use the name either)
    Why can I not more easily sync up groups to make sure all members are actually friends with each other?

I'd rather just see server wide messages become free or less limited in some way.
    If Nexon wants a community to exist in MapleStory they're going to have to stop locking it behind a paywall/RNG.

lmao micheal jackson was able to do that and many do. I think it is all about being a social butterfly and being able to have great communication skills. I had a lot of friends in khroa. and usually had to go to henesys to meet and talk to most. Even now 100's of people I knew prior to bera I still kinda communicate with when they run into threads and stuff or things with my name on it. discord helps but I feel increasing buddy list will be a great help. I think there are people who can do it as guild masters have to be able to communicate with members and usually its 199 of them and 800 extra through the alliance guilds.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019

They kinda sorta tried with the chat channels, which failed miserably because of spaghetti code, removed and then never spoken of again. Was a nice idea, but poorly executed.
    There's also the concern of mesoselling bots flooding the global chats.

Edit: I could personally get behind having the slots increased to 200-300. There's a lot of inactive old friends that I don't have the heart to delete in case they come back (like most do), while still wanting to make new connections. 100 wasn't enough back when the game was more active, and it still isn't enough.
    FuhreakYinYangX
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    HHG1 wrote: »

They kinda sorta tried with the chat channels, which failed miserably because of spaghetti code, removed and then never spoken of again. Was a nice idea, but poorly executed.

Edit: I could personally get behind having the slots increased to 200-300. There's a lot of inactive old friends that I don't have the heart to delete in case they come back (like most do), while still wanting to make new connections. 100 wasn't enough back when the game was more active, and it still isn't enough.

Reasoning behind increasing the friend list is solid I guess. As I said, it doesn't hurt anything to increase it.
    I just fail to see how one could hit such numbers personally. I guess I use the word "friend" in a more formal sense.

The chat channels are a nice idea. You can easily gate them to legit players by only allowing certain players onto the chat.
    I've played a game in the past where you had to hit a certain level before global chat worked. (though it was much harder to bot in that game due to design)
    We rarely saw any bots there and a few hundred people were active in chat on a server that only had a population of about 2k.
    As I said though, it doesn't have to be unlimited. It could be just less limited than it is now. Buying the channel wide megaphones for reward points for example.
    Especially on Reboot where reward points are almost useless after you buy cubes and maybe the water of life.

Communities are good at finding solutions themselves if you give them tools for it anyway.
    If you allow for channel wide or global wide chat and just fix the report system to be more streamlined, advertisers are easy enough to combat.
    You can also limit messages to a reasonable number per minute, something regular people will not hit but a bot easily does.
    Not many people type above a 100 WPM rate for example, so I doubt anyone needs to post 8 messages that all hit character limit in the span of 5 seconds.
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019

Reasoning behind increasing the friend list is solid I guess. As I said, it doesn't hurt anything to increase it.
    I just fail to see how one could hit such numbers personally. I guess I use the word "friend" in a more formal sense.

The chat channels are a nice idea. You can easily gate them to legit players by only allowing certain players onto the chat.
    I've played a game in the past where you had to hit a certain level before global chat worked. (though it was much harder to bot in that game due to design)
    We rarely saw any bots there and a few hundred people were active in chat on a server that only had a population of about 2k.
    As I said though, it doesn't have to be unlimited. It could be just less limited than it is now. Buying the channel wide megaphones for reward points for example.
    Especially on Reboot where reward points are almost useless after you buy cubes and maybe the water of life.

Communities are good at finding solutions themselves if you give them tools for it anyway.
    If you allow for channel wide or global wide chat and just fix the report system to be more streamlined, advertisers are easy enough to combat.
    You can also limit messages to a reasonable number per minute, something regular people will not hit but a bot easily does.
    Not many people type above a 100 WPM rate for example, so I doubt anyone needs to post 8 messages that all hit character limit in the span of 5 seconds.

It's simple basically "SOME HAVE MORE FRIENDS THEN OTHERS" with having a large number of friends you make a large number of connections. Also in communications, it's called "community groups" which you have as your own foundation with having an increase buddy list you don't have to all chat which meso botters usually flood. It's a good tool to use to block out things without actually putting things on block. With the increased list you don't have to delete old friends on the buddy list. Cause back in 2017 one of my friends who I met 2012 who I haven't seen for 5-6 years came back, imagine if I deleted her I would have never known or seen that friend come back. I have many more cases with this, Overall it's a good thing to consider and a great update that can help keep communities and expand it.

Yea that's how most to all of us feel that's why I think its a great idea and brought it up :D but that reason you gave about keeping old connections is a common problem with the buddy list and can be fix by expansion. Also deleting a friend off buddy list almost feels as if your dropping them and is a loyalty thing lmao
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited April 2019
    Discord for your personal fan club
    DaxterbeerSlicedTimeFuhreakYinYangX
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019
    Rexaar wrote: »
    Discord for your personal fan club

Working on it lmao but I run many discord servers like Bera Ursus server. But because alliance got better-bossing server we somewhat move a lot of the people there so we will finish Ursus bot there. But it would be nice for Nexon to allow us to have in-game fan clubs before khaini was amazing with fan clubs.