[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What is ‘skin damage’?

нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
Reactions: 655
edited July 2019 in General Chat
I just came across this as I was playing and I’ve tried googling it but came up with nothing. There’s nothing about it that I could find in the game, what is it and what does it do?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    It's "damage skin" and it's different graphics for the numbers that show up when you hit enemies.
    нσяιƶεη
  • нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
    edited July 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    It's "damage skin" and it's different graphics for the numbers that show up when you hit enemies.

Oh, I see. I thought it was damage that accumulated on your character after changing faces with a token or something along the lines of a debuff xD

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2019
    Here is a list of most, if not all, damage skins that exist. Do keep in mind that only some of them are available at any given point, and there are different ways of getting them.

Some come from quests or events, but most come from random-drop boxes in the cash shop.

These are the ones I've collected over the course of about three years plus change:
    LvpoVXI.png
    Most, if not all, of them are from events over that time period. I think I only bought one of the 30 I have saved.
    нσяιƶεηYinYangXSkyfall1989
  • нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
    edited July 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Here is a list of most, if not all, damage skins that exist. Do keep in mind that only some of them are available at any given point, and there are different ways of getting them.

Some come from quests or events, but most come from random-drop boxes in the cash shop.

These are the ones I've collected over the course of about three years plus change:
    LvpoVXI.png
    Most, if not all, of them are from events over that time period. I think I only bought one of the 30 I have saved.

I ended up tossing one of them on my main character, thinking it was some sort of debuff. In fairness, I noticed it immediately after I accidentally changed my face with one of Tot's tokens (completely unintentional, got player support to help me out- kudos to them) so I figured that changing faces would rack out some sort of mini debuff overtime because it was literally called skin damage, with no prior explanation from the game. I feel sadness now.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2019
    If the one you chucked came from tot's know-how, it was this one:
    KnbZ0ym.png

And, personal opinion here, you aren't missing out on a whole lot.
    нσяιƶεη
  • нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
    edited December 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    If the one you chucked came from tot's know-how, it was this one:
    KnbZ0ym.png

And, personal opinion here, you aren't missing out on a whole lot.

What a lovely skin. A riot, really... xD
  • choozchooz
    Reactions: 1,815
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    Quit calling it "skin damage"

Read the order of the words. Read the words in general. Unless nexon was being nexon, they already clearly say and show what's on it just when you look at it.

And I really don't understand your idea that Nexon would hand out debuffs as rewards. It just sounds like you're not actually reading the text since you've named it wrong several times already.
  • нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
    edited December 2019
    You realize that when most people see "skin" and "damage" they don't think "reward." I had absolutely 0 explanation as for what it was. Maybe there was an FYI quest or something- I never got it. YOU know what it is so you might think it ridiculous that I thought of it as a debuff, but as a new player? Totally understandable.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    You realize that when most people see "skin" and "damage" they don't think "reward." I had absolutely 0 explanation as for what it was. Maybe there was an FYI quest or something- I never got it. YOU know what it is so you might think it ridiculous that I thought of it as a debuff, but as a new player? Totally understandable.

He's right though. Read the order of the words. It's not "skin" and "damage" it's "damage" and "skin", hovering over the item for even a second should explain what it does.
    "Applies the _____ damage skin. Once used, it will be permanently applied until you replace it with another damage skin."
    Then on most of them, it shows some numbers of the damage skin. Most people are able to figure out what it is based on that.
    Even as a new player who had never seen this item before, I was able to easily figure it out when returning to the game.
  • нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
    edited December 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »

He's right though. Read the order of the words. It's not "skin" and "damage" it's "damage" and "skin", hovering over the item for even a second should explain what it does.
    "Applies the _____ damage skin. Once used, it will be permanently applied until you replace it with another damage skin."
    Then on most of them, it shows some numbers of the damage skin. Most people are able to figure out what it is based on that.
    Even as a new player who had never seen this item before, I was able to easily figure it out when returning to the game.

People think different. It's kind of a given... I dunno why you said this because even you realize that not everyone perceives and understands information the same way, hence you said:
    Most people are able to figure out what it is based on that.

Which means that there are still some people who don't- namely me.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    [...]

For future reference, I wouldn't throw out any items before you know for sure what they are.
  • нσяιƶεηнσяιƶεη
    edited December 2019
    [...]

For future reference, I wouldn't throw out any items before you know for sure what they are.

Meh, hardly matters though. It was a really dopey looking one, would have tossed even if I knew what it was/did.
    Fuhreak