[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Forums] More leniency on necros/thread merges

FuhreakFuhreak
Reactions: 7,440
Member, Private Tester
edited March 2020 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
We have an extreme overload of threads which have the exact same topic.
Anytime someone actually uses the search function to find a thread that already covered the same topic, it gets locked if it's X months old.
There's absolutely no reason to create a new thread when one already exists that covers the topic.
All this policy does it cause a million threads to pop up on the same topic because why post in an old thread if it's going to get locked anyway?

I'd like to see more of these throwaway threads [Bring back Badges, Fix Kishin, Do things about Botters, Bring Zero to Reboot, etc] all get merged into one thread.
Meanwhile I'd like to see necroposts not get a thread locked until there's actually something wrong with the thread topic itself.
It just makes the forums harder to navigate because we have hundreds of thread on the same topic. Frankly, it's rather annoying.
JettLuvsUArch_AlyssaDaxterbeerWONDERGUYSlicedTimescholar624

Comments

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    I personally think it's more annoying when people bump 1+ year old threads (that may contain outdated information) to ask about something that is barely related to the original topic. I'm assuming this is the thread that more or less prompted your suggestion, and that thread had served its purpose and died naturally until that one guy decided to hijack it to talk about MapleStory 2 closing down, when the topic was about whether MapleStory would come to an end with the Black Mage story finished and whether MapleStory 2 was considered a sequel or not. He should have made a thread in the non-GMS content subforum, or better yet, the MapleStory 2 forums since that was all the bumped the thread for.

The only necrobumps I can see being useful are when there's a re-occurring bug or overlooked-for-months-bug, but even then the original post might be outdated and the bug may have significant differences compared to the current one, then it might be more organized/helpful to make a new thread and link back to the old one for reference instead of replying to the old one. That said, I don't know how threads are forwarded and how they compile information from those threads.

But I do agree that it would be helpful to have megathreads for the more frequent questions/suggestions. Like how we have the Cash Shop request thread.
    As for navigation issues, the search function is absolutely awful. Rather see them fix that.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited March 2020
    I remember when we had numerous world merge threads and gollux restock requests. Some threads are older, but they contain more valuable information since they have better arguments instead of saying "title" or "^" without reasons.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    @HHG1 it was part of the prompt, yes. I can see why the thread was locked, I even agree with it as it was off-topic. It more of reminded me to make this.

However the countless threads on suggesting Zero for reboot, for example, is there really a reason why we need a new thread every single time?
    There are older suggestions that have still yet to be implemented, am I supposed to kindly bump it, months later to remind devs that such a suggestion exists?
    Am I suppose to just clone the thread using a paraphrased original post because necro bumps are seen as undesired?
    A continuous stream of information rather than having to jump from thread to thread seems more useful to me.
    It should be, in my opinion, up to the forum posters when a thread needs a new version instead of a blanket policy of "This Zero thread is X Months old. Lock it."
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited March 2020
    first of all while there is trys to make changes
    its good to mention that even search thing does not work properly or i might even say its just useless
    much better to google [maplestory forum] - key word/sentence -

example:
    cloud ring bug search on forum
    vs
    maplestory forum cloud ring bug search on google

btw also this example i said because that rings bugs after evry other "big" patch and
    people just make new threads or the new trend they just start to ignore and deal with it being broken
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2020
    I agree with this, to a point, because crap like this should still get things locked.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    I agree with this, to a point, because crap like this should still get things locked.

The problem is even if a needless post is the cause of the bump, another person may come in and restart the conversation because of that.
    I still say that a thread shouldn't be locked until the thread itself derails and there's a problem with the topic itself. Much like the MS Dying Into MS2 death thread was.
    Let's face it, that thread you linked has already been bumped. It's already been called to people's attention. Locking the thread now just allows someone to make a new thread to continue the conversation because it was locked before they got to input their feel (even if late) on the subject matter.

The "harm" of the necro has already been done. Locking the thread won't do a damned thing.
    There are a thousand more threads to necro anyway, if you really wanted to have this system you'd just auto-lock all threads x months old.
    Please Nexon, just pick one or the other. Either Necros are allowed in certain cases, or they aren't allowed at all. (Auto-lock)
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2020
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Please Nexon, just pick one or the other. Either Necros are allowed in certain cases, or they aren't allowed at all. (Auto-lock)

Necro-bumping, on any forum, is moderated to the moderator's discretion. Not every rule is set in stone, and you have to think about how relevant the comment you're making is.

https://communitybuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/711/why-do-forums-discourage-necro-bumping
    On a forum, discussions flow over a period of time. People come and go and the discussion thread slowly resolves itself. Bumping a topic that has been dead for months or years is not doing anything except raising a very old discussion to the top. It is entirely possible that the people involved in said discussion have either forgotten what was going on or simply left the community.

That having been said, 90% of the time your necroing a thread is not adding anything new nor is it relevant to the discussion. So if you find yourself wondering whether necro-bumping a thread is appropriate, the answer is probably "no".
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2020
    I'd like to point this out from the thread I linked two posts above. The "last active" time of four users within that thread.

Nuthb606
    Mira
    YinYangX
    L4d2jpn

The OP of the thread has not been active since November of last year. Dredging up a thread from almost a full year ago to give advice to someone who hasn't been active for four months at the least is an exercise in pointlessness. The other three have not been active in times ranging from a few weeks to several months.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    (Just my opinion) but here are some threads that could be relevant despite being old:

-Suggestions that have not been added to the game
    -Bugs that are still bugs
    FuhreakChoicesWONDERGUY
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    Neospector wrote: »
    Necro-bumping, on any forum, is moderated to the moderator's discretion. Not every rule is set in stone, and you have to think about how relevant the comment you're making is.

I say pick one or the other because according to the forum rules, it does appear to be set in stone.
    - Intentionally necro-bumping will result in disciplinary action.
    "Will result" implies that this is always the outcome. "Disciplinary action" is left vague, but it still implies that it's always bad to necro.
    But if Necro-bumps weren't desired under certain circumstances, then threads would just auto-lock.
    This gives the illusion that they'll allow a necrobump, but the rules seem to punish all necro bumps.

Locking the thread that was necro-bumped also seems to have the affect of punishing the original thread starter as well.
    Sure, you've prevented the necro-poster from continuing to post. But you've also shut down the entire thread from any legitimate posts in the future.
    This is also why I suggested placing all the common thread themes each into one of their own. It'll help cut back on the need for necro posts in the first place.

People who necro aren't trying to cause trouble (usually, it seems). They just don't want to clutter the forums with a question that has already been asked.
    Though I'm not sure why people go around looking to answer questions that are years old. Those ones confuse the hell out of me.
    On a forum, discussions flow over a period of time. People come and go and the discussion thread slowly resolves itself. Bumping a topic that has been dead for months or years is not doing anything except raising a very old discussion to the top. It is entirely possible that the people involved in said discussion have either forgotten what was going on or simply left the community.

I understand the reasoning. But we have certain threads locked that again, already come back from the dead constantly.
    I'd like to see those threads just get merged and left open (even in unhelpful necroposts) because let's face it, the issue hasn't been resolved and people are just going to continue to drag the dead horse around until Nexon decides to do something about it.
    You could basically boil this thread's suggestion down to "Stop locking threads about on-going issues until abuse starts happening."
    Once a thread topic has been designated as such a thread, you can merge all future threads and lock all previous threads with a redirect to the official thread
    There's still a little bit of the jumping from thread to thread like this, but only moving backwards. Moving forward it would all be one giant thread.

I hope it's clear I'm not trying to go against the wishes of Nexon or fight the VFMs, I just want these forums to be a little bit better is all.
  • ChoicesChoices
    Reactions: 1,550
    edited March 2020
    JushiroNet wrote: »
    (Just my opinion) but here are some threads that could be relevant despite being old:

-Suggestions that have not been added to the game
    -Bugs that are still bugs

Exactly.
    Why was my thread locked? http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/20197/request-character-name-change-event#latest
    I did bump it a few times but it was a request, nothing outdated was displayed, and I bumped it with actual UPDATED information, about the Name Change event last being seen 2 years ago. But the team decided to lock it? I don't think I saw another thread suggesting this event besides mine. This is the Suggestions, Feedback and REQUESTS forum for Christ's sake.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    @Choices
    Spamming
    - Do not create multiple threads of the same topic or discussions to overwhelm the forums.
    - Bumping (repeated posting on a thread to keep it going or visible) is also not allowed.
    - Intentionally necro-bumping will result in disciplinary action.

Technically you could be called out for 2 and 3, they already let it slide twice and nobody posted.
    I'd say that was actually a good example of how they should handle all necros/bumps though.
    You were given plenty of wiggly room for necros/bumps, other threads, sometimes not so much.
    Still, a thread lock might not have been called for. The issue is still "on-going", we don't have a name change event.
    I would say if ANYTHING, you should be warned not to post in your thread again until someone else does and call it a day.
  • ChoicesChoices
    edited March 2020
    Ok but if I really do want to keep that request fresh in the minds of the moderators, why can't I write in my own thread with new information about the request (I added a link to the last time we had the event and described the current state of the event being absent for 2 years). I even deleted my previous bumps to show a new light on the request. How problematic is it, really? I don't think I did anything wrong...
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2020
    Choices wrote: »
    Ok but if I really do want to keep that request fresh in the minds of the moderators, why can't I write in my own thread with new information about the request (I added a link to the last time we had the event and described the current state of the event being absent for 2 years). I even deleted my previous bumps to show a new light on the request. How problematic is it, really? I don't think I did anything wrong...

The problem then becomes that it seems that you're the only one asking for this.
    This is why I said I think the answer would be to warn you not to post in the thread again until someone else does.
    Once someone else does, it's obvious that it's not just you that cares about the event.
    If you're the only one posting/bumping the thread, it appears to be "spam", regardless of time taken between bumps.
    Choices
  • ChoicesChoices
    edited March 2020
    Agreed and noted for the future. Thanks.