[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Class guidance for newbie

ConstantinConstantin
Reactions: 200
in General Chat
Hello, I am currently downloading MapleStory for the first time ever. I am thinking of joining normal server, since I prefer a more hardcore experience when it comes to earning gear and EXP. First of all, I'd appreciate some clarification regarding the class system. Please correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand, some classes evolve into totally different "classes" (aka jobs), whereas others remain the same forever?!
And, on my main issue: I've always been a main support in most MMOs I played (from L2, to WoW, ESO, and LoL etc etc), so I am looking for something similar here too. Although I don't know if something as a "pure" support/healer who constantly needs party to EXP, exists here. I've read about the "bishop" job, yet it still seems able to act as a DD - maybe every class revolves around damaging with slight tendencies to either tanking/support/damaging?!
Last but not least, which support (preferably healing) classes are mostly needed for higher level end-game content? I wouldn't want to invest time on a bishop, only to find out that it's not as necessary a role as I expected it to be.
Thanks for your time, looking forward to your assistance!

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2020
    Bishop is your "healer" class, which is only going to be important in extremely late game as far as healing goes.
    Support is still valued in the mid to late game however.
    Every class in almost every MMO has to deal at least some amount of damage, but as far as Maple goes, it's more important that everyone be doing something.
    Most classes are pretty much filled out by 4th job (Level 100) and won't change much after hitting it.
    There are usually a few more skills (3 more starting at 140) that change the gameplay slightly but not too bad.
    5th job (Level 200) usually compliments the playstyle that you had in 4th job without really changing much.
    My suggestion would to play classes to level 140, this gives you maxed out skills for 4th job, a level 2 link skill (Important later) and a Rank A in legion (Also important later.)
    Hitting 140 should also give you a good idea of if you're going to like the class going for 5th job and beyond as well.

You most likely won't be finding parties outside of mid to late game bosses. Party grind just isn't a thing in this game.
    I would suggest you play several characters to 140 in order to give yourself a base to work off of.
    Once you've gotten yourself established and understand the game, pick a main and join a guild. They'll help guide you the rest of the way.

As far as advice on support classes, try looking at Kanna, Bishop and Shade.
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited May 2020
    Let me just start off by saying that this isn't your typical mmo. Most games you have 1 character or maybe a couple others if you want a change of pace. In this game, it is highly recommended, almost necessary that you create many many different characters of different classes. This is because of link skills and legion. Link skill is a skill that you can transfer over to another character in your account and they give very good bonuses. For example, Mercedes link skill at level 2 gives 15% extra exp. Kanna gives 10% more damage. That's huge. Legion is a bit more complicated but the game should do a good job of explaining what that is, there's also guides you can find on youtube. You'd ideally want to get all your link skill characters which is at least 12 characters, to level 120. Don't fret if you feel like that's a lot of characters to get to level 120. Leveling in those lower stages goes by really fast and if you know what you are doing, you can get a new character to level 120 in a matter of hours. But being completely new to the game, it would probably take you longer as you get to know the lore and gameplay.

As for classes evolving as you put it, this only applies to explorers, resistance, and cygnus knights. For all of them you start off as a basic no job character and then it branches off and you get to choose which job you want. They all have a warrior, magician, bowman, thief, and pirate variant. All the other ones which is the majority of classes, stays the same and they are heavily story based.

There are support classes that are very much desired but it's dependent on the situation. For example, kanna is an excellent support for training. Bishop is still a good support in bosses because of heal and that second life thing. All end game bosses have potion cooldown so you cant spam them to heal yourself so bishop heal is still very useful for that. And the resurrect is always great too because you have a limited number of lives. Can't think of any other pure support classes. Most classes do have party buffs that are very useful but most really are centered around dishing out damage. Tanks don't really exist except maybe demon avenger since endgame bosses deal out %hp based attacks
    Fuhreak