[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.

Need help choosing a thief

SuperboiSuperboi
Reactions: 1,595
Posts: 47
Member
edited November 2016 in General Chat
Hi guys,
I play on Reboot and don't have much money for cubes right now.
Which thief class do you think is the best for me? Which one do the most dmg without % and is good for mobbing and bossing?
I like all of the Explorer/Cygnus thieves – DB, NW, NL, SHA...

Thanks
  1. So which one? :)32 votes
    1. Dual Blade
       34% (11 votes)
    2. Night Lord
       38% (12 votes)
    3. Shadower
       13% (4 votes)
    4. Night Walker
       16% (5 votes)

Comments

  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,330
    Posts: 316
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    I heard Dual Blade has the best survivability (besides Phantom), and they're decent at bossing.

    NW is the best bosser but requires more funding to get them to be (You also need to know how to do the jump attack). Pretty much every other thief besides maybe Shadower is better at mobbing than NW tho.
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    ClawStaff
    ClawStaff said:

    I heard Dual Blade has the best survivability (besides Phantom), and they're decent at bossing.

    NW is the best bosser but requires more funding to get them to be (You also need to know how to do the jump attack). Pretty much every other thief besides maybe Shadower is better at mobbing than NW tho.
    Thanks for replying.
    That's what I heard too, but some people told me that NL or NW are better for some reasons, so I'm pretty confused.
    Please people vote and reply, I really need to hear your opinions :)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 18,400
    Posts: 3,300
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Night Lord is better because of its toggle skill(Night Lord's Mark I believe?), every second hit it sends out small throwing stars to hit random mobs around the map. Which, if your range is high enough, can be pretty OP for getting kills quickly.
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine

    Night Lord is better because of its toggle skill(Night Lord's Mark I believe?), every second hit it sends out small throwing stars to hit random mobs around the map. Which, if your range is high enough, can be pretty OP for getting kills quickly.
    The thing is - will my range be higher than DB or NW? :)
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    Posts: 506
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Night Lord is better because of its toggle skill(Night Lord's Mark I believe?), every second hit it sends out small throwing stars to hit random mobs around the map. Which, if your range is high enough, can be pretty OP for getting kills quickly.
    The thing is - will my range be higher than DB or NW? :)
    You shouldn't ask about your range, it is never a 1-1 translation between classes. 1 class with a range of 500k can outdamage other classes with a range of almost 1mil. Comparing damage ranges is 100% useless. You should be comparing efficiency, and for that NL is amazing.

    NL mark and showdown makes training easy. You get additional exp from Showdown, it has a huge range, and NL mark allows you to hit other mobs that showdown couldn't reach on its own and kill them at the same time. For bossing we have fast attacks and 10 lines of damage, with a strong poison effect that we can apply. 5th job for NL will enhance our poison's ability and give us even more stars for training and bossing (an extra 3 stars will be thrown each time you use QT (I do not know if shadow partner copies these or not), which means either 13 or 16 lines of damage on bosses with each hit, on top of DoT.

    NL are love. NL are life
  • WhutWhut
    Reactions: 745
    Posts: 35
    Member
    edited November 2016
    I personally really enjoyed Dual Blade. He's a good mobber and good bosser. He also gets a ton of avoidability so you'll actually be quite tanky.

    I've tried the other classes as well but I was not a fan.
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for the answers guys but I'm really confused LOL
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 18,400
    Posts: 3,300
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    Posts: 506
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
    NL way better imo. Plus huge benefit is only needing to scroll 1 weapon, and scrolling a weapon well can be a huge investment meso wise for most players. DB is an expensive class, NL is actually really cheap if you don't waste money on unnecessary bullcrap like infinite throwing knives, or crystal ilbis
    CyriTheKilla
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 18,400
    Posts: 3,300
    Member
    edited November 2016
    If @KThxBaiNao shows up at some point, I'm sure he could explain Night Walker a little bit better. He mained one for god knows how long.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    Posts: 519
    Member
    edited November 2016
    NW to jump attack!
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
    NL way better imo. Plus huge benefit is only needing to scroll 1 weapon, and scrolling a weapon well can be a huge investment meso wise for most players. DB is an expensive class, NL is actually really cheap if you don't waste money on unnecessary bullcrap like infinite throwing knives, or crystal ilbis
    From what I heard, DB's survivability is much higher than NL. Do you know if it's true?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 18,400
    Posts: 3,300
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
    NL way better imo. Plus huge benefit is only needing to scroll 1 weapon, and scrolling a weapon well can be a huge investment meso wise for most players. DB is an expensive class, NL is actually really cheap if you don't waste money on unnecessary bullcrap like infinite throwing knives, or crystal ilbis
    From what I heard, DB's survivability is much higher than NL. Do you know if it's true?
    They have 90% stance passively, thanks to the Heroes of Maple update that turned Thorns into a passive skill. They also have a drain passive(restores a % of HP per hit)
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    Posts: 506
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
    NL way better imo. Plus huge benefit is only needing to scroll 1 weapon, and scrolling a weapon well can be a huge investment meso wise for most players. DB is an expensive class, NL is actually really cheap if you don't waste money on unnecessary bullcrap like infinite throwing knives, or crystal ilbis
    From what I heard, DB's survivability is much higher than NL. Do you know if it's true?
    Honestly there isn't really any notion of survivability in modern MS. When fighting bosses, all of the attacks are undodgeable %hp attacks. When fighting mobs, everyone always has way more potions than they could ever need so they just pop an elixir/power elixir when their HP gets too low.

    NL have access to a drain skill, if you are willing to go through Empress Might. For regular grinding they have their 45% dodge rate, as well as Showdown gives mobs the untouchable debuff, which means you don't take touch damage from them
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
    NL way better imo. Plus huge benefit is only needing to scroll 1 weapon, and scrolling a weapon well can be a huge investment meso wise for most players. DB is an expensive class, NL is actually really cheap if you don't waste money on unnecessary bullcrap like infinite throwing knives, or crystal ilbis
    From what I heard, DB's survivability is much higher than NL. Do you know if it's true?
    Honestly there isn't really any notion of survivability in modern MS. When fighting bosses, all of the attacks are undodgeable %hp attacks. When fighting mobs, everyone always has way more potions than they could ever need so they just pop an elixir/power elixir when their HP gets too low.

    NL have access to a drain skill, if you are willing to go through Empress Might. For regular grinding they have their 45% dodge rate, as well as Showdown gives mobs the untouchable debuff, which means you don't take touch damage from them
    Actually I meant that from what I was told, NLs get one-hit killed often, unlike DBs that dodge pretty much anything.

    But thanks for the info guys, it really helps!
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 18,400
    Posts: 3,300
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Dual Blade also has Shadow Meld, a passive which, when you successfully dodge an attack, gives you a minor ATT boost and 100% crit rate for a few seconds. It doesn't stack duration if you dodge two attacks in a row, but there's no cooldown period between triggers.
  • SuperboiSuperboi
    Reactions: 1,595
    Posts: 47
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Aggraphine

    Dual Blade also has Shadow Meld, a passive which, when you successfully dodge an attack, gives you a minor ATT boost and 100% crit rate for a few seconds. It doesn't stack duration if you dodge two attacks in a row, but there's no cooldown period between triggers.
    So in your opinion DB is better?
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    Posts: 506
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    gamechanger

    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Well, if you make a Night Walker, you're gonna be killing things one at a painfully-slow time until third job. If you make any of the other three, you always have the option to open advance between them at the Forest of Priest.
    Yeah, I think the battle is between NL and DB now :)
    NL way better imo. Plus huge benefit is only needing to scroll 1 weapon, and scrolling a weapon well can be a huge investment meso wise for most players. DB is an expensive class, NL is actually really cheap if you don't waste money on unnecessary bullcrap like infinite throwing knives, or crystal ilbis
    From what I heard, DB's survivability is much higher than NL. Do you know if it's true?
    Honestly there isn't really any notion of survivability in modern MS. When fighting bosses, all of the attacks are undodgeable %hp attacks. When fighting mobs, everyone always has way more potions than they could ever need so they just pop an elixir/power elixir when their HP gets too low.

    NL have access to a drain skill, if you are willing to go through Empress Might. For regular grinding they have their 45% dodge rate, as well as Showdown gives mobs the untouchable debuff, which means you don't take touch damage from them
    Actually I meant that from what I was told, NLs get one-hit killed often, unlike DBs that dodge pretty much anything.

    But thanks for the info guys, it really helps!
    I can confirm that we do NOTget OHKO except from those OHKO boss attacks. This wouldn't be a worry if you were a NL
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 18,400
    Posts: 3,300
    Member
    edited November 2016
    Superboi
    Superboi said:

    Aggraphine

    Dual Blade also has Shadow Meld, a passive which, when you successfully dodge an attack, gives you a minor ATT boost and 100% crit rate for a few seconds. It doesn't stack duration if you dodge two attacks in a row, but there's no cooldown period between triggers.
    So in your opinion DB is better?
    I like both for their own reasons, you'd have to play both and see which playstyle you enjoy more.