[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Anti-afk mobs...

Comments

• darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited November 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Mira wrote: »
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    It's 10% per hit, so it's not really "high percentage". The problem comes in that there's almost no invincibility period between taking hits, so you eat two or three 10% hits in the span of a second.

The actual real problem lies in when you don't have enough Arcane Force to not take 1 damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Anti-AFK mobs don't care about AF?

Add the dmg of the flying thi g to the high dmg mobs do if u dont have high AF and insta death is giaranteed, u also deal less dmg to the flying mob if u have low af iirc.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2019
    I can tell you right now, it's a flat 10% damage from the flying turds. AF has no bearing on it.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019
    darik wrote: »
    Add the dmg of the flying thi g to the high dmg mobs do if u dont have high AF and insta death is giaranteed, u also deal less dmg to the flying mob if u have low af iirc.

This is a good point. I never really faced this problem myself because I went through river very slowly, but I can see how it could be.
    With the new AF hyper is should be much easier to manage this problem, at least.
    I can tell you right now, it's a flat 10% damage from the flying turds. AF has no bearing on it.

As darik points out, if you aren't taking 1 from the other mobs then that 10% is going to mean a lot more to you.

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019

This is a good point. I never really faced this problem myself because I went through river very slowly, but I can see how it could be.
    With the new AF hyper is should be much easier to manage this problem, at least.

As darik points out, if you aren't taking 1 from the other mobs then that 10% is going to mean a lot more to you.

10% is 10%. The problem is the potion lock. If you can't heal yourself after the Erdas hurt you for more than 1HP, you're going to die.
    FuhreakDnaman101Pride
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2019
    I guess you forget these things when you haven't taken full damage from most arcane river mobs in ages.
    FuhreakYinYangX
  • darikdarik
    edited November 2019

Af doesnt afect the dmg u receive but the dmg u deal to them,yeh now is easier but still when ure 200 and not very funded(when u dont have legion and link skills and such,a new player) it can be very difficult to progress in vj specially because of that flying mob,if u have to enter on a map and u lag a bit or u teleport and u lag is extremelly easy to die and lose exp, which can be very frustrating and discouraging for the player , id suggest to eliminate this flying mob from gms or at least eliminate the feature that disables the use of potions.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019

Af doesnt afect the dmg u receive but the dmg u deal to them,yeh now is easier but still when ure 200 and not very funded(when u dont have legion and link skills and such,a new player) it can be very difficult to progress in vj specially because of that flying mob,if u have to enter on a map and u lag a bit or u teleport and u lag is extremelly easy to die and lose exp, which can be very frustrating and discouraging for the player , id suggest to eliminate this flying mob from gms or at least eliminate the feature that disables the use of potions.

Removing the mob from GMS is a lot of work and asking for trouble. Monster Collection would need to be reworked for one.
    There might also be code for those maps that would have to be disabled. Changing the mob itself would be easier, but still might cause issues.
    Nexon seems to be pushing for more similarity between all clients, I don't think there's a reason to label anything as a change for GMS specifically.
    More so when it's just a good idea in general. Potion lock is overkill on this mob. An AFK person will die regardless of potion lock or not.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019
    Potion lock is overkill on this mob. An AFK person will die regardless of potion lock or not.

Without potion lock, an AFK person with a pet that has auto-HP and auto-feed would not die as long as their pet food and potions last.

However, if these mobs are aimed at AFK people, their logic should be changed.
    They should not attack you as soon as you enter the map (I mean, if you just walked/cc'ed/tele'd in, you're definitely not AFK), and they should not prevent you from using town scrolls or hyper rocks to get out of the map (this is a recent change which I honestly can't understand).
    FuhreakdarikYinYangX
  • darikdarik
    edited November 2019

Removing the mob from GMS is a lot of work and asking for trouble. Monster Collection would need to be reworked for one.
    There might also be code for those maps that would have to be disabled. Changing the mob itself would be easier, but still might cause issues.
    Nexon seems to be pushing for more similarity between all clients, I don't think there's a reason to label anything as a change for GMS specifically.
    More so when it's just a good idea in general. Potion lock is overkill on this mob. An AFK person will die regardless of potion lock or not.

Yeh but its useful in kms cuz people apparently camp maps, thats not an issue in gms cuz our mentality is, if ure not training on the map,u cant call it, so here theres no reason for that mob but there is one in kms according to what ive read from other people
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2019

Yeh but its useful in kms cuz people apparently camp maps, thats not an issue in gms cuz our mentality is, if ure not training on the map,u cant call it, so here theres no reason for that mob but there is one in kms according to what ive read from other people

Which is literally the exact point I was getting at on the first page when I said it's a solution looking for a problem.
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019

LUL Darik says the exact same thing I said previously and now suddenly people understand.

The whole danger is moot -if- you have enough AF to take 1 damage, but when you don't is when it's an issue, especially in something like Morass where you have to progress in quests while you're in the middle of the map/taking damage. It's especially bad in something like Cave of Repose when you only have 30 AF - there are no safe spots to talk to the NPCs, and your choices are either read the chat and risk death, or hold NPC chat just to escape. Some classes are naturally more equipped to survive, but classes like Blaze Wizards, Cadenas, Illiums, etc. take a crap ton of damage and can only afford 2 hits before death.

This is purely talking about questline viability, not stuff like d/cing on a laggy computer, and logging back into MS only to be assaulted by the anti-afk mob and dead before the game even loads properly. They are a blight to the game and add no real purpose (for our version) other than Monster Collection.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019
    Mira wrote: »
    LUL Darik says the exact same thing I said previously and now suddenly people understand.

More of it's been over a month and I honestly forgot you also mentioned it.
    This is purely talking about questline viability, not stuff like d/cing on a laggy computer, and logging back into MS only to be assaulted by the anti-afk mob and dead before the game even loads properly. They are a blight to the game and add no real purpose (for our version) other than Monster Collection.

I think this post is the correct solution to our "solution looking for a problem".
    AKradian wrote: »
    However, if these mobs are aimed at AFK people, their logic should be changed.
    They should not attack you as soon as you enter the map (I mean, if you just walked/cc'ed/tele'd in, you're definitely not AFK), and they should not prevent you from using town scrolls or hyper rocks to get out of the map (this is a recent change which I honestly can't understand).

All versions of the game would benefit from this change. They still stop AFK people in Korea, while not being a pain in the ass to non-AFK people.
    Hackers need not apply because they never cared about these things in the first place.

• ApocalyptianApocalyptian
    Reactions: 2,330
    edited November 2019
    Hackers and bots do get that far though.

well then they should hire more people to actually do thier jobs and watch these things right? just saying. i seen too many in maps for random quests where most people dont go anymore. it was actually hard to find a channel in mu lung to find those burning flares to max that flame gear on my bishop. Man, i wonder why they dont just stand there and smack the ban hammer over all of them especcially when they flick around the map in a cloud of flowers (cause of course they are hacking kannas) and not get hit or anything. Its rather annoying.
    WONDERGUY
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited November 2019
    Well congratulations on hitting pretty much every single "I have no clue how things work at-scale" bullet point. Throwing more people at the problem will not solve it. This is a problem that, in a way, can't be "solved" in the traditional sense of the term; it's a constant back-and-forth.

The autoban works well enough, the weekly ban data posts from Ghiblee stand to reason. This in spite of the handful of times they've tweaked it without telling players and suddenly banwave
    Fuhreak
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    Tbh the anti afk mobs should be client side/party based (like how elite mobs can only be seen by people in your party on certain maps) and only appear oh I don't know when you're AFK for a while, not just automatically spawn.
    darik
  • DarkAngelusDarkAngelus
    Reactions: 200
    edited December 2019
    This measure was taken by the developers to avoid hackers, because, they place themselves in a safe point inside the map and start attacking the whole map (it's very annoying to see those hackers), if you want to try, go to Leafre, there you'll probably find them.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited December 2019
    same with runes....
    each patch more invisible-transparent the captcha becomes
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2019
    This measure was taken by the developers to avoid hackers, because, they place themselves in a safe point inside the map and start attacking the whole map (it's very annoying to see those hackers), if you want to try, go to Leafre, there you'll probably find them.

I thought this was something from KMS to prevent people from afk claiming maps? (Or so I read on another thread, iirc. Hence anti-"afk" mob, not anti-"hacker" mob.)
    If hackers are "attacking the whole map", then they don't need a "safe point" cause they kill the anti-afk mob. Also, yes Leafre has a lot of hackers, yet no anti-afk mob..... >.>
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited December 2019
    YinYangX wrote: »

I thought this was something from KMS to prevent people from afk claiming maps? (Or so I read on another thread, iirc. Hence anti-"afk" mob, not anti-"hacker" mob.)
    If hackers are "attacking the whole map", then they don't need a "safe point" cause they kill the anti-afk mob. Also, yes Leafre has a lot of hackers, yet no anti-afk mob..... >.>

You're correct and the other guy's wrong. Hackers don't give a rat's ass about this or anything else nexon has done to "address the issue". They were implemented to stop people from idly squatting in maps to stake a claim to them. That problem, however, does not exist in gms, so all they do here is piss people off.