[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Dark Lords of Darkness Transfer Event

StallbenStallben
Reactions: 1,245
Member, Private Tester
edited November 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Now that this event is over, I wanted to make this request to see if it would be possible to have an event where people could transfer the totems they get from the Dark Lords of Darkness event to other characters in their account. As you know, this event very RNG dependent and can lead to frustrating results such as getting multiple non main stat totems on a character, for example, a Dark Doom totem on a magician or a Dark Grin totem on a warrior. I feel that this would greatly alleviate people's frustrations who are dedicated to doing this event every year and still don't get the totems they want after multiple years of doing it.

Since many people have multiple characters, it would make people feel a bit better changing characters because they would be able to have characters with the correct dark totems on them. I am aware that the dark totems are in the marvel machine and that they are tradable, however, not everyone can afford marvel machine and the odds of even getting a dark totem are still pretty low. However, it is not as big of a deal as they are still tradable, unlike the ones in the event. The suggestion that I am proposing is sort of like a forgiveness event, in that it allows people a chance to put the dark totems that are useless on a certain character to use buy putting them on a character that actually needs it.

This could be put at the end of the event to encourage more people to do it and it could even increase the player count because people would have something to look forward to when this event returns with enthusiasm rather than cautious optimism and would return, knowing that all the time they put into doing this event wouldn't be a waste of time. There are people who hold on to their dark totems from past events with the hope that they will some day become tradable, however, with no such thing being hinted at, the totems just clutter up peoples' inventories because of a small hope that they will become useful in the future. It could just be a small, short event at the end to encourage people to play and try to get as many dark totems as possible and then transfer them through the storage system to other characters that they want them on.

I'm not sure of what the chances are that this will be possible do to, but I wanted to at least see what other people had to say, and while I know that there is a certain feeling of satisfaction people get when getting 3 of the stat specific totems of a character and the relief it brings after the uphill RNG battle, however the odds of that are incredibly low and more often than not, it's on a character that a person doesn't play as much. I just thought that this would be a good idea to at least encourage people to come back and since this is a recurring event, more people would be willing to come back.

Comments

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019
    Highly unlikely. Totems aren't cash shop items, and most free event items are untradeable. Like you said, there are permanent versions available through p2w/AH for the impatient.
    Even if they were to make all the totem versions tradeable within account, Reboot would riot because it doesn't apply to them.
    It would also mean people "finish" the event quicker and are less likely to participate in the next one, aside from transferring their hoarded dark totems to new characters. Thus theoretically decreasing the player count and player activity throughout the event period both short term and long term.

MapleStory is designed to be an uphill RNG battle in general. This event perfectly aligns with that so I don't see them changing it.
  • StallbenStallben
    Reactions: 1,245
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019
    HHG1 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. Totems aren't cash shop items, and most free event items are untradeable. Like you said, there are permanent versions available through p2w/AH for the impatient.
    Even if they were to make all the totem versions tradeable within account, Reboot would riot because it doesn't apply to them.
    It would also mean people "finish" the event quicker and are less likely to participate in the next one, aside from transferring their hoarded dark totems to new characters. Thus theoretically decreasing the player count and player activity throughout the event period both short term and long term.

MapleStory is designed to be an uphill RNG battle in general. This event perfectly aligns with that so I don't see them changing it.

That is true, I didn't factor reboot into this or that people may only want dark totems on one character and not all of them, so that was a lack of insight on my part. That's why I said that I'm not sure of the likelihood of this even being possible. I just wanted other people's opinions, so thank you for your input. Maybe there could be an alternative for reboot and I am open for suggestions with reboot in mind. I did make this thread with the assumption that it would be doomed to fail, but I thought that hearing other peoples' thoughts on this would be interesting to hear anyway.
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2019
    It would be nice if they implemented a trade-in system - exchange X amount of Dark Totems and receive a totem of your choice. I've done this event since it first started, and it's been back what... ~6 times now...? I -just- got my 2nd Dark totem for my on the second last day. Meanwhile, my Evan got all 3 Dark Totems in 1 1/2 weeks.

There needs to be some sort of failsafe put in place to mitigate the screw of RNG.
    Klara