[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Paladin in 2020? Still a tank, of nerfed?

MawgMawg
Reactions: 1,350
edited April 2020 in General Chat
So, my main is an I/L, level 200 or so, just started Lachelein. I am grinding & somewhat bored.

I have a Mercedes at lvl 200, who can't manage the 5th job challenge, and a NightLord at level 198, plus a whole bunch of link skill characters at level 120.

I also noticed that I have a level 175 Paladin and wondered if I should advance him.

As you might have noticed, I prefer ranged characters, so a pally might might make a nice change.

Also, I only ever solo, never party, so a pally might well be my only chance to boss.

However, in 13 years or so of Mapling I have seen just about everything get nerfed and wonder if the Paladin is still the invincible tank that he once was. For instance, I notice that certain one hit boos kills can now also kil the pally.

So:

- is it worthwhile to still play a Paladin?
- can I still expect a tank?
- can I solo boss?
- should I scroll & select equips for DEF, or does he have enough inherent DEF that I should scroll for ATT (M ATT?)?
- are there any currently relevant guides?

Finally, we are currently midway through a burning event - should I abandon my current pally & start a new one, for the equips? I ought to reach my current level quickly enough, ecen 200.

Thanks in advance & happy hols

Comments

• wisetigerwisetiger
    Reactions: 355
    edited December 2019
    Mawg wrote: »
    - should I scroll & select equips for DEF, or does he have enough inherent DEF that I should scroll for ATT (M ATT?)?

In Maplestory only damage matters.

https://dexless.com/guides/an-excessively-in-depth-guide-to-everything-paladin.12/
    MawgRaresworddarik
  • MawgMawg
    edited December 2019
    Thanks very much. I already read that one - and was *very* disappointed by the title; it is not in-depth and certainly not obsessively in-depth, but it is helpful.

Your summary is
    In Maplestory only damage matters
    So, are you saying that Paladin is not a good job to play?

Do you have a URL for which jobs (currently) do most damage (until the next reshuffle)? Although, I expect that they have levelled it out by now, so that all are siumilar

Thanks again F2
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2019
    No, Paladin is fine if you enjoy playing it. Just that it isn't particularly better or worse than any other class.

You should play the class you enjoy playing, not the one that deals the most damage according to charts.
    FuhreakYinYangX
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2019
    Neospector wrote: »
    No, Paladin is fine if you enjoy playing it. Just that it isn't particularly better or worse than any other class.

You should play the class you enjoy playing, not the one that deals the most damage according to charts.

And beside that point is the questionable method by which the dps charts are made; being done in tightly-controlled conditions that are, in absolutely no way, present in any content.
    FuhreakYinYangX
  • wisetigerwisetiger
    edited December 2019
    Thanks very much. I already read that one - and was *very* disappointed by the title; it is not in-depth and certainly not obsessively in-depth, but it is helpful.

So, are you saying that Paladin is not a good job to play?

It seems really in-depth to me. Maybe you only read the first tab titled "Guide". There are 4 more tabs "Build", "Skill Info", "Gameplay", "FAQ".
    I'm saying that there is no need to scroll for DEF. Only damage matters. Scroll for ATT, cube for %att and %str.

I think it's worth it to start a new pally for the tera burning equips only if you never obtained Ghost Ship Exorcist Badge on your current pally or anything of the like.
    Fuhreak
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited December 2019

Paladins are fine and work within the game's mechanics, but the game isn't designed around the Paladin's core idea. The way they play is more of a convenience than a new, articulated way to define the base gameplay. Like the others have implied, Paladins are simply a different flavor of a DPS class - they trade some offensive convenience for more survival and ease-of-use conveniences.

- Is it worthwhile to still play a Paladin?
    Not anymore than any other class. If you want to play the game how Nexon steers it though...Maybe pick some other class. You are not doing yourself a favor playing an idea of a tank in a DPS game.

- Can I still expect a tank?
    I'd call Paladins lazy tanks, since you can literally think less handling them. They have a simple attack rotation, and have buffs/passives that let you get more careless. In exchange, you'll have to suffer more problematic attack patterns in bosses, since your not doing enough damage and while being "tanky", still susceptible to a few attacks. A more active tank would be like Mihile. Even some particular skills from other classes make them more tankier than Paladins. The real question you should ask is "do I want to play lazier with Paladins?".

- Can I solo boss?
    Since your just another DPS class, yes. You just need to get ATK like other classes. You do get a skill that lets you become invincible for 30 seconds, and a self-healing skill, but other than that, you have just about what everyone else has, give or take. Your optimal burst combo/skill (GRAND CROSS) also has limited mobility and takes a while to start, so take that into consideration.

- Should I scroll & select equips for DEF, or does he have enough inherent DEF that I should scroll for ATT (M ATT?)?
    You need ATK. You can go over the HP and DEF cap and all it would do is make you invincible to normal mobs. Unlike some classes that convert defensive stats into offensive ones like Demon Avenger, this does not apply to Paladins. Having more DEF or HP does gives you absolutely subpar results than just getting damage, since you're doing lower damage on average anyways. Another big reason are boss timer limits/lives, so you can't chip away at bosses forever, and % HP attacks, which ignore most of your defensive stats and shave away a % of your HP regardless of how small or big it is.

- Are there any currently relevant guides?

I mean, it could be worse and Paladins could be like Jett, but I personally feel like they are not as fully realized as they could be. Again though, they are perfectly viable and the only flaws are from how the game plays overall, and not with the class itself.

Okay, maybe some of it is the classes' fault.
  • RareswordRaresword
    Reactions: 410
    edited December 2019
    wisetiger wrote: »

In Maplestory only damage matters.

https://dexless.com/guides/an-excessively-in-depth-guide-to-everything-paladin.12/

You have a good point, I would argue that Hp in rare cases and exp boosters, At some point defense Ignore is important too. If you plan to do bossing without being super funded.
  • MawgMawg
    edited January 2020
    It seems really in-depth to me. Maybe you only read the first tab titled "Guide". There are 4 more tabs "Build", "Skill Info", "Gameplay", "FAQ".

D'oh!! F6
    Yup, it certainly is in depth
    I'm saying that there is no need to scroll for DEF. Only damage matters. Scroll for ATT, cube for %att and %str.
    ATT ? Are you sure? My main attacking skills are Flame/Blizzard/Lighting/Divine charge (delivered in that order for max damagae), but I had asumed them to be Magic Attack skill and cubed for that.

Thanks again for your help
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2020
    When he said scroll for attack, while he should've specified magic attack, the point is still made: scroll for offense, not defense.
  • wisetigerwisetiger
    edited January 2020
    ATT ? Are you sure? My main attacking skills are Flame/Blizzard/Lighting/Divine charge (delivered in that order for max damagae), but I had asumed them to be Magic Attack skill and cubed for that.

Thanks again for your help

No magic attack. Attack. You are playing paladin, right?

Aggraphine wrote: »
    When he said scroll for attack, while he should've specified magic attack, the point is still made: scroll for offense, not defense.

Paladins use attack.
    Mawg
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2020
    Okay, I confused myself. OP was talking about an i/l mage and I forgot, for the moment, that the conversation was about paladins.
    Mawg
  • MawgMawg
    edited January 2020

No magic attack. Attack. You are playing paladin, right?

Yup, I just made the wrong assumption. I am off to buy some cubes now & scroll my excellent M ATT sword for ATT.

Thanks muchly for all of your help F2
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Okay, I confused myself. OP was talking about an i/l mage and I forgot, for the moment, that the conversation was about paladins.

You double-confused yourself. OP was talking about Paladin's elemental attacks.

Mawg, in Maplestory, only Magicians use Magic Attack. Paladin is a Warrior, and therefore uses Attack (sometimes called Weapon Attack or Attack Power).
  • MawgMawg
    edited January 2020
    AKradian wrote: »
    Mawg, in Maplestory, only Magicians use Magic Attack. Paladin is a Warrior, and therefore uses Attack (sometimes called Weapon Attack or Attack Power).

ONLY mages use M ATT? And EVERY OTHER JOB uses straight ATT?

I never realized that. I has thought that some, like Phatom, etc, used magic.

Thanks, yet again, for the enlightenment

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2020
    AKradian wrote: »

ONLY mages use M ATT? And EVERY OTHER JOB uses straight ATT?

I never realized that. I has thought that some, like Phatom, etc, used magic.

Thanks, yet again, for the enlightenment

I don't know if Phantom uses the MATK stat, but phantom actually can do magic damage with the stolen skills.
    I can't think of any other class other than mages that actually have magic damage though.
    Mawg
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited January 2020
    Yeah Paladins are as tanky as cockroaches. You wouldn't believe the kinds of crap that Paladins can get away with in bossing
  • MawgMawg
    edited May 2020
    Six months later, maybe I didn't maple enough, but my I/L is 232 and my pally just made 220.

I love my i/l and have been playing it, on and off, for 14 years. I ma very attached to it, and would love to take it to 300.

BUT, it is clear to me that the pally, even with good, but inferior to the I/L, gear, is the one who would/will make it to 300 first & easiest. I will hate to overtake my main, but I can see it coming.

I always solo, dropped my buds after 2 country/server changes (and rebirths on my main, hence those 14 years F2). I haven't really bossed with the I/L, as it isn't really up to it, but the pally is a different story.
  • MawgMawg
    edited July 2021
    My main is now bossing regularly. 20 minutes with 10 or 12 bosses for 30m Mesos from the collector in the FM, plus great equips for my mules or the auction house, plus soul shards & guild points for my solo guild. So far, that I/L knocks my Pally into a cocked hat, despite only an 8 level difference.