[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

MVP Subscription System

FuhreakFuhreak
Reactions: 7,440
Member, Private Tester
edited September 2019 in General Chat
A recent thread made me think that a subscription based MVP would be better than our current system.
I really like this idea and think if done correctly it would benefit both players and Nexon, lowering the ceiling to MVP benefits while giving Nexon more consistently paying customers.
So the question of this thread; If Nexon were to change MVP to a subscription based service, what would you want to see out of it?

Personally I'd just like if it uses all the current system benefits with an added NX Bonus.
Subscriptions would run between 10-50 a month based on tier and give between 12~80 dollars worth of NX, the higher tiers giving you a higher multiplier on the NX received.
Only one tier of MVP could be active per account, but you can buy several months out in advance to "save" some extra money.
General chat as I'm not making a suggestion here, but rather asking for discussion on a possible suggestion.
darik

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Your suggested system seems completely unrelated to the current one.

The MVPs of today, who spend over $100 a month on NX, would gain nothing or even lose out, from switching to this system.
    As for whether Nexon would gain more profit - I doubt it. People who don't buy NX now, would almost certainly not commit to a subscription, even if it does give a bit more NX per dollar. And the people who do buy NX, well, they already do it, why would Nexon give them more NX for the same amount of rl money?
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

The MVPs of today, who spend over $100 a month on NX, would gain nothing or even lose out, from switching to this system.
    As for whether Nexon would gain more profit - I doubt it. People who don't buy NX now, would almost certainly not commit to a subscription, even if it does give a bit more NX per dollar. And the people who do buy NX, well, they already do it, why would Nexon give them more NX for the same amount of rl money?

Why on earth would companies do business with Humble Bundle, where they're giving their product for significantly less and customers even have the option to not give them money?
    It's because this kind of thing is actually good for business. Customer loyalty is more important than a quick buck. This is just business 101.
    A subscription based program that actually rewards loyal customers by giving them more NX or other perks is a good idea.
    Why would Nexon offer the game for free when they could have just gone with a subscription based model back in the original release?
    The answer is easy to find, if done correctly, you can earn more by giving stuff away for free.

Edit: Also I'd love to hear your ideas of what system you'd like to see instead.
    Is there anything that would make a subscription based MVP more worthwhile to you personally?
    The original thread that gave me the idea it was suggested Fury totems be made into a subscription.
  • wthNoIDwthNoID
    Reactions: 970
    edited September 2019

depends on how they do it tho

i mean if they had sometype of paid membership and it give out random stuff even if on monthly bases kinda like mvp system without the upkeep mvp system needs (like 10$ month like membership...) could potential make more but we would also need some unique maple members content like unique pq/boss that has chance dropping gach tickets or something

nothing overly op but like every month a maple member crate chance of high end items ect like big items like set cubes or something.... but yea a system like that could work but...

maple would need more promoting to new players
    thing that keeps me off mvp system is the upkeep forever in the bronze almost made it to gold once (to rich for me tho i did kinda go almost to gold when it 1st started in one go... but couldn't keep the upkeep
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited September 2019
    Yea the current MVP system is dog ship, the perks aren't worth the investment and the upkeep is a virtual repellent. Subscription based seems like a better idea.
    darik
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    pepe wrote: »
    Yea the current MVP system is dog ship, the perks aren't worth the investment and the upkeep is a virtual repellent. Subscription based seems like a better idea.

You're not supposed to invest for MVP status. You're supposed to spend NX because you want cubes, or scrolls, or PSSB, or Marvel spins, or whatever else. The MVP perks are a bonus. They aren't what you're paying for.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    pepe wrote: »

You're not supposed to invest for MVP status. You're supposed to spend NX because you want cubes, or scrolls, or PSSB, or Marvel spins, or whatever else. The MVP perks are a bonus. They aren't what you're paying for.

Thus this thread, it's asking the question "Is there a better way to go about doing MVP?"
    "Could you make the player's experience with the MVP system more enjoyable while retaining profit for Nexon?"
    It's more of a "what if" thread than a suggestion. Which is why I didn't place it within suggestions.
    Kind of like those "If you could make a class/skill" threads, just maybe a bit more productive.
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited September 2019
    I agree , if it becomes a subscripyion thing maybe more people start doing it if its affordable and that could get the customers into buying more stuff?
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited September 2019
    Current MVP system is already subscription-based.

Except instead of your example of $10 to $50 a month based on tier, we're talking $10 to $900 per 3 months, where silver/gold/diamond are $300/$600/$900.
    However, if you're not a huge spender, you can spend $10 and get a life-time bronze subscription.

Not sure if this changes the way you're approaching the issue.

Bonus NX would be pretty nice, if it encourages people to hit the next tier. But if there's no difference then nexon is basically giving out more NX for less $.

Not having to stick with the "3 month" thing and just focusing on cumulative total spent might make it a bit easier. Maybe someone just wants to drop $5000 on cubes today. But I can see why they would enforce the 3 month thing since spending $5000 in one day doesn't secure you a lifetime diamond MVP you'll need to keep dropping money on them.

Access to unique content might be nice, though it is also a questionable strategy.

Maybe more variety of perks? Option to choose perks instead of random draw?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2019
    I feel like the subscription thing could work. Depending on how it was priced out, it would allow more people access to the mvp benefits. Someone may be able to afford, say, a $50- or $60-per-month subscription fee, but not the hundreds of dollars per month the system currently requires. This also assumes, however, that current mvp maintainers would not alter their spending habits very much in light of a change such as this.

Ideally, what you'd get is people still continuing to hardcore whale for cubes and surprise mechanics boxes, alongside people paying a monthly fee for the same system.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    I feel like the subscription thing could work. Depending on how it was priced out, it would allow more people access to the mvp benefits. Someone may be able to afford, say, a $50- or $60-per-month subscription fee, but not the hundreds of dollars per month the system currently requires. This also assumes, however, that current mvp maintainers would not alter their spending habits very much in light of a change such as this.

Ideally, what you'd get is people still continuing to hardcore whale for cubes and surprise mechanics boxes, alongside people paying a monthly fee for the same system.

I somehow doubt whales would change their spending habits. A few of them probably do just spend enough money to get MVP, some people are rich like that.
    Most of them probably just spend it because they want to or have no self control.
    But for those of us who don't have all that money, it would be nice to be able to reap the rewards of MVP.
    I know I'd spend money on a sub to get gold/diamond if I had the money to throw.
    It feels nice to support a game like that rather than just "Uh... I guess I'll buy 300 bucks worth of boxes this time."
    Current MVP system is already subscription-based.
    Except instead of your example of $10 to $50 a month based on tier, we're talking $10 to $900 per 3 months, where silver/gold/diamond are $300/$600/$900.
    However, if you're not a huge spender, you can spend $10 and get a life-time bronze subscription.

True in a way, but the bar is set so high that most people won't want to strive for it.
    Lowering the upper limit to somewhere around the cost of a new game allows for more people to just throw Nexon money without feeling like they're throwing money away.
    I wouldn't add any exclusive content to MVP, but maybe give exclusive perks to those under MVP.
    Such as increased guild cap, access to a global chat, those 10 extra channels they removed, etc.
    Nothing that normal players can't do like special access to areas/items/classes.
    darik
  • ota9x55ruri2pponota9x55ruri2ppon
    Reactions: 1,580
    edited January 2020
    I've just had a chance to read through this, very thankful for all the details on the MVP system.
    If MVP becomes a subscription system, I would love to keep all the perks permanent, not just 3 months.
    It's not easy to have THAT much $$$ every 3 months to keep the special rank perks... then again,
    perhaps that's the intention, to get more $$$ from richer players to "enrich" the game development? lol
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited January 2020
    I'm not spending money for the simple reason that I don't like how the game currently is. I've spent money on the game before MVP mainly for fashion. As to what would entice me personally to spend money, making the game better would certainly help (the new Adele update has them revise guilds, which is what I wanted, so I suppose they are getting there) but as far as the MVP system is concerned, I can't think of a way Nexon would be able to evolve it without more profits. All the negative aspects of MVP, such as time limiting tiers, limited appeal, exclusive benefits, etc. are obviously put there not as convenience to everyone, but targeted at specific type of people. Making it more convenient is going to actually work the reverse. Perhaps a different MVP configuration that is separate and an addition to the current MVP might work? It would have to target a different demographic and a different weakness of that playerbase/game to compensate those type of people wanting to give money to Nexon.

A subscription could work if it had more diluted MVP rewards as the current one, and had to be funded for a significantly longer time. Random options/events for the customer to splurge more money to quickly mature it to give Nexon more bursts of profit now and again. Perhaps tie it to player level to gain retention from higher leveled players.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2020
    @fidgetspinnerACE
    As Nexon made clear when the MVP system came out, they intended this to be a system for people who already spend this kind of money on MapleStory
    Having a secondary sub method with rewards different than those of the MVP, while maybe even counting towards MVP would be a good idea I think.
    If you could purchase these subs for other people while still counting towards your own MVP, even better.
    I'd personally love a way to support the game on a more "regular basis" while not just buying a bunch of cosmetic boxes that I really don't care about.
    Since I'm on reboot this is about the only thing of value and while they're neat and all, I'd actually much rather a way to support the game more directly while still getting something in exchange. The boxes are rather expensive (imo) and the odds of getting something you don't even like or already have are too high.
    The cosmetic stamp system is nice in concept but I don't really spend the kind of money required to really use it either.

I will admit there is some bias in that I mainly want a better system for paying reboot server customers.
    The idea of adding a separate system rather than a straight up replacement is something I hadn't considered and enjoy quiet well.