[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

OMG, What's going on here?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    MegaScience

Not sure how it happened, but it's gone. I'll keep an eye out.
    ... aaannnd they're back at it again today.

Judging by the lack of the blue message to new users, the "approval" system for new users is still inoperative. I assume you told OneLetter about it?
    Lilyflower
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Siiigh I got it.
    HopefulDream
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited November 2016
    I love how this is the official SPAMBOTS ARE RUNNING AMOK AGAIN thread.
    JettLuvsU
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    KeepComingBack

I love how this is the official SPAMBOTS ARE RUNNING AMOK AGAIN thread.
    That's 'cause we're nice and tidy and keep using the existing thread instead of spamming a million new ones like some people machines.
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    It's always Friday at the exact same time someone spams that stuff with a bot.
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited November 2016
    Don't worry. 4th time will do the trick.
    JettLuvsU
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    genji123
    genji123 said:

Don't worry. 4th time will do the trick.
    Or not.
  • HopefulDreamHopefulDream
    Reactions: 400
    edited November 2016
    Or maybeee a 5th.
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited November 2016
    How does this keep happening.
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited November 2016
    KeepComingBack

Well, it seems nexons potato servers have been buttered and thrown in the oven yet again.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    KeepComingBack

The mods have to approve every new user application, but they're not infallible. Some of these bots look like legitimate users (until they start posting).

I don't know why there is no limit on the number or frequency of new threads an account can create, though.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2016
    forumsareannoying

KeepComingBack

Well, it seems nexons potato servers have been buttered and thrown in the oven yet again.
    It has nothing to do with servers. Me, MegaScience, and Invulgo (and occasionally the Nexon staff) manually approve users for the forums. We don't have much to go on with regard to whether or not they're bots; their email is obscured, the names can look legitimate, and there are often legitimate users who have random-character names (yes, it does happen). I've declined more applications for bad words in the names than I have because they look like bots.
    It's not a pretty solution, nor the best, but it cuts back on the spam if nothing else.
  • GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited November 2016
    Neospector

forumsareannoying

KeepComingBack

It has nothing to do with servers. Me, MegaScience, and Invulgo (and occasionally the Nexon staff) manually approve users for the forums. We don't have much to go on with regard to whether or not they're bots; their email is obscured, the names can look legitimate, and there are often legitimate users who have random-character names (yes, it does happen). I've declined more applications for bad words in the names than I have because they look like bots.
    It's not a pretty solution, nor the best, but it cuts back on the spam if nothing else.
    I've suggested it a couple times in the past, but there has to be a limitation on posts from new users. Like 3 threads per day and 10 posts per day for like 5 days.
  • GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited November 2016
    And they're back.
    edited November 2016
    Neospector

forumsareannoying

KeepComingBack

Clearly it's not your fault. Nexon just doesn't know how to accept player submitted suggestions, as @Geminia has stated. Not sure why they bother having a suggestion forum. They should just remove it.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    We seriously need to limit the number and/or frequency of threads a new account can create.

• ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Seriously again?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Neospector

Maybe, instead of the membership itself having to wait for approval (which, as you said, you have little to go on when making the decision), make a new account's first post (or first N posts) have to get approval.
    JettLuvsU
    edited November 2016
    Come on guys. Nexon has hired someone to teach us the Korean language. Or Chinese. Let's be thankful.
    Calwyn
  • SandwichSandwich
    Reactions: 2,830
    edited November 2016
    Bots spamming the forums? This is new to me. And extremely hilarious.