[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

View/Access Auction House via Web

The Blue CorsairThe Blue Corsair
Reactions: 1,915
edited December 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
As we're finally had the Auction House released, it would be neat to have a feature to access all items currently listed on it via the MapleStory website, and be able to view it whether you're on your computer, tablet, or phone. It should display the same information as currently displayed in-game, allow for advanced searching, as well as view pages displaying all of a character's listed items.

For Nexon, this would keep players connected (and retain their time) with the game even when away from their computers and keep up to date on whether their items have sold, and for players it would allow for you to know what has been sold/keep track of prices, but also encourage the use of the Auction House and the economy of each world.
  1. Would you use a web-based Auction House? (to view/access listings and check prices)17 votes
    1. Yes, absolutely!
       88% (15 votes)
    2. No, this is not useful.
       12% (2 votes)

Comments

• AramyAramy
    Reactions: 1,190
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    ~i like your idea
    also would be nice we could see when char is on fm, like while is on his shop
    The Blue Corsair
  • Michaelxv212Michaelxv212
    Reactions: 1,470
    edited December 2016
    Can't even go into the auction house
    Heihei
  • The Blue CorsairThe Blue Corsair
    edited December 2016
    Michaelxv212

Can't even go into the auction house
    It's being worked on and isn't working for some players it seems, but this is mostly focused on just being able to access it when not in-game. :)

edited December 2016
    Thank you everyone for the votes so far! Will try to update the main post when I can with new thoughts or any feedback shared.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Sounds like a security breach waiting to happen.
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Why do you feel it would be a security breach? What aspect of it could compromise security?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Why do you feel it would be a security breach? What aspect of it could compromise security?
    Allowing access to in-game data from outside the game.

I don't know too much about web/internet security, but I know your last two maple-related projects, so I'll be blunt here and say that seeing your name on this suggestion gives me a very bad feeling.
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

I'll be blunt here and say that seeing your name on this suggestion, and considering your previous maple-related websites, gives me a very bad feeling.
    This is why this suggestion/topic is focused on Nexon providing the web-based Auction House, and not a third-party or another developer. :) I want to see Nexon create a really impressive platform for the Auction House, similar to what Nexon Korea did with Maview (MapleStory 2's web-based Wiki/Market/etc), and bring that same ideal to our main site.

It would be handled in a similar manner as the Player Rankings are, where the information would be very selective and only show the same information currently shown on the Auction House itself, so it'd be secure for players.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

I'll be blunt here and say that seeing your name on this suggestion, and considering your previous maple-related websites, gives me a very bad feeling.
    This is why this suggestion/topic is focused on Nexon providing the web-based Auction House, and not a third-party or another developer. :)

It would be handled in a similar manner as the Player Rankings are, where the information would be very selective and only show the same information currently shown on the Auction House itself, so it'd be secure for players.
    The rankings are copied from the game to the web once a day. If the rankings page gets hacked, it has no effect on the game.
    You're talking about live access to the game data itself.
    Once that pipeline is opened, any weakness in the website itself, or the API it uses, could be exploited to access the auction house - or any other part of the game data.
    And as we know NexonNA's IT department isn't exactly top-notch. (Have they blocked your custom avatar exploit, btw? Or did you change it so as not to embarrass them too much?)
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

This is why this suggestion/topic is focused on Nexon providing the web-based Auction House, and not a third-party or another developer. :)

The rankings are copied from the game to the web once a day. If the rankings page gets hacked, it has no effect on the game.
    Once that pipeline is opened, any weakness in the website itself, or the API it uses, could be exploited to access the auction house - or any other part of the game data.
    And as we know NexonNA's IT department isn't exactly top-notch. (Have they blocked your custom avatar exploit, btw? Or did you change it so as not to embarrass them too much?)
    I understand your concerns (and they're completely valid!), but Nexon's current Web Developer is a lot more proficient than some of those in the past and has made some incredible changes and updates thus far, and hopefully more in the future. I'm sure with enough effort, they could accomplish something very promising, so I wouldn't be so harsh. I understand that the post is mostly targeted against me, which I completely get. But I'd like for this to be focused towards constructive feedback to help better the game.

In regard to your other topic, the custom avatar exploit was brought to @KThxBaiNao's attention upon discovering it immediately, and worked with him along with @OneLetter to make sure it was resolved as soon as possible. It has since been fixed.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

I understand your concerns (and they're completely valid!), but Nexon's current Web Developer is a lot more proficient than some of those in the past and has made some incredible changes and updates thus far, and hopefully more in the future. I'm sure with enough effort, they could accomplish something very promising, so I wouldn't be so harsh. I understand that the post is mostly targeted against me, which I completely get. But I'd like for this to be focused towards constructive feedback to help better the game.

In regard to your other topic, the custom avatar exploit was brought to KThxBaiNao's attention upon discovering it immediately, and worked with him along with OneLetter to make sure it was resolved as soon as possible. It has since been fixed.
    Doesn't matter whether it's you, your partner / service provider, their friends, or their rivals. I see no reason to add a vulnerability to the game.

Nice to hear that Nexon has a competent web developer for a change. They can get to fixing the flaws with the main website that we've been complaining about from the day it was launched, starting with the illegible CSS and moving on to such things as the (apparently) manually-operated server-status page that is put to shame by third-party sites. Oh, and speaking of rankings, they stopped showing images a while back and nothing's being done about it.

I would not rely on Nexon America to always have competent web developers, however. So adding a web application that would need to be carefully maintained to keep up with the game itself (for example, items being added to the game. For a tougher example, item data structure being changed to e.g. support a second nebulite or something), is asking for trouble. On top of the security hazard.

Bottom line: I vote No.
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

In regard to your other topic, the custom avatar exploit was brought to KThxBaiNao's attention upon discovering it immediately, and worked with him along with OneLetter to make sure it was resolved as soon as possible. It has since been fixed.
    Doesn't matter whether it's you, your partner / service provider, their friends, or their rivals. I see no reason to add a vulnerability to the game.

Nice to hear that Nexon has a competent web developer for a change. They can get to fixing the flaws with the main website that we've been complaining about from the day it was launched, starting with the illegible CSS and moving on to such things as the (apparently) manually-operated server-status page that is put to shame by third-party sites. Oh, and speaking of rankings, they stopped showing images a while back and nothing's being done about it.

I would not rely on Nexon America to always have competent web developers, however. So adding a web application that would need to be carefully maintained to keep up with the game itself (for example, items being added to the game. For a tougher example, item data structure being changed to e.g. support a second nebulite or something), is asking for trouble. On top of the security hazard.

Bottom line: I vote No.
    Good feedback, and that's what the poll is for. :) Thank you.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Has it, really?
    I guess there's another one, then.
    Check out user "inb4".
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

The Blue Corsair

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Has it, really?
    I guess there's another one, then.
    Check out user "inb4".

Eh, at least the method that I discovered has been (which was just replacing input values). I'm not sure if there's any other methods though that still have to be fixed in some manner. Will likely be up to either them or the players doing so to get it reported and resolved.