[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What exactly is Account Theft?

boompower1x8boompower1x8
Reactions: 840
edited November 2016 in General Chat
I recently came across various posts about people getting banned for"Account Theft" reason and have some concerns/questions, some of these cases look like it could happen to basically anyone at anytime and it's scary:

1. What exactly does account theft entail? The Nexon website doesn't any details for it. It seems that the majority of the cases involved either people logging into the hacked account or have traded with the hacked account during the relevant time span. The first case is somewhat understandable and can be minimized through diligence, but how are you suppose to avoid the second scenario if you're trading or buying items from a stranger?

2. Another concern is that there seem to be no way to defend yourself when such a ban have been applied, outside of a few cases where the CM himself had to intervene. How does Nexon determine these kind of bans and why are the people that are banned given next to zero information on what they did?

I'm hoping that Michael or someone from Nexon can provide some info here. If someone had experience with these, feel free to reply here as well. The goal is to raise awareness on the issue so legit people do not get themselves falsely banned based on a misunderstanding and then left hoping for a miracle.

Comments

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    boompower1x8

I recently came across various posts about people getting banned for"Account Theft" reason and have some concerns/questions, some of these cases look like it could happen to basically anyone at anytime and it's scary:

1. What exactly does account theft entail? The Nexon website doesn't any details for it. It seems that the majority of the cases involved either people logging into the hacked account or have traded with the hacked account during the relevant time span. The first case is somewhat understandable and can be minimized through diligence, but how are you suppose to avoid the second scenario if you're trading or buying items from a stranger?

2. Another concern is that there seem to be no way to defend yourself when such a ban have been applied, outside of a few cases where the CM himself had to intervene. How does Nexon determine these kind of bans and why are the people that are banned given next to zero information on what they did?

I'm hoping that Michael or someone from Nexon can provide some info here. If someone had experience with these, feel free to reply here as well. The goal is to raise awareness on the issue so legit people do not get themselves falsely banned based on a misunderstanding and then left hoping for a miracle.
    they can also see what IP's have accessed what account at which times, and that usually narrows down who the person is that stole the account. It's not just trading stolen items
  • DlNODlNO
    Reactions: 510
    edited January 2017
    I just got perma banned for picking up an item. About a week ago, the player was dropping/giving away items because he was quitting. I was reported for stealing the items I got.

I asked them your first question (how to prevent it from happening in the future) but they said it was information they could not disclose. They also said they couldn't release any evidence about the ban.
    nindoo
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited January 2017
    sadly the only option its to submit tickets and asking the GM for help even if they ignore you once you must try again till a GM helps you
    or if no GM helps you you must go above but that a bit harder to do and less lickely to work sadly
  • genji123genji123
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited January 2017
    It's a vague term thrown around by GMs when you're banned or perma banned. And most of the time they never elaborate what it exactly means rofl.
  • RyotaKisèRyotaKisè
    Reactions: 720
    edited January 2017
    Apparently if you bought mesos it can also count as account theft, i was a victim before. Took me a while to figure out tht was the root of the problem. Kept wondering how i hacked my own account.
  • nindoonindoo
    Reactions: 900
    edited January 2017
    DlNO
    DlNO said:

I just got perma banned for picking up an item. About a week ago, the player was dropping/giving away items because he was quitting. I was reported for stealing the items I got.

I asked them your first question (how to prevent it from happening in the future) but they said it was information they could not disclose. They also said they couldn't release any evidence about the ban.
    That same thing happened to me...