[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
: Nexon has started fixing this issue. Some symptoms no longer occur, and have been struck out of the list below.Update October 2017
The cause has been found to be that the computer uptime goes over 24.8 days. Maplestory's code apparently uses this number, but as a signed instead of unsigned integer. Nexon has been informed.
Bug type: Stability
Brief bug summary:
The MapleStory client sometimes enters an abnormal state, that can only be cleared by a Full Shutdown of the computer. More details:
The symptoms of this abnormal state include:
(forumers are encouraged to add symptoms they have observed to the list)
- Cutscenes get stuck.
- Harvesting/Mining does not work.
- Monsters don't display their name and HP bar, even when set to do so.
- Top-of-the-screen quest progress notices are not displayed (Quest Helper window works fine)
- In Arcane River maps, the notice about the amount of Arcane Force required remains constantly on-screen.
- Blaze Wizard's Orbital Flames skill does no damage to enemies.
- Ice/Lightning Mage Frozen Orb skill does no damage to enemies.
- Kaiser's Wingbeat skill does no damage to enemies.
- Bowmaster's Arrow Platter arrows do no damage to enemies.
- Kaiser/AB's Vertical Grapple (and all-class V skill Rope Lift) only works once per map.
- Evan's Dragon Glide, and Demon Slayer/Avenger glide, and gliding mounts, keep going even after the key is released.
- Kanna's Bellflower Barrier and Blossom Barrier appear on the map but don't affect the character.
- Jett's Core Aura link skill does not increase the stats of the character it's linked to.
- Blaster's Ammo always shows full, can't be used, and can't be reloaded.
- Monsters in Monster Life bob in one place.
- Magnus (any difficulty) flies into an anti-hack rage, raining deadly meteors far denser than usual, OR No meteors appear at all.
- Continuous damage is sustained even inside Magnus' barrier.
- "Guard the Castle Gates" Pollo mission monsters do not leave the map when they reach the portals.
- The first few lines of chat after starting the game or being silent for a while, are not sent.
Lines in whisper/party/buddy/guild/alliance chat look to the speaker as if they were sent, but no-one receives them. Lines in "all" chat don't show up even for the speaker. Commands given in chat window (such as "/find") do nothing.
After a handful of such ignored lines, chat resumes normally, for a while. After a period of silence, it stops working again.
Changing in-game settings, shutting down the MapleStory client, or even re-installing it, does not change anything. The only known cure is a Full Shutdown and restart of the computer, as apparently a Hybrid/Quick Restart preserves whatever it was that got corrupted.
(For Windows 8 users, forumer YourSuperior
suggests following the instructions of this website http://www.howtogeek.com/129021/how-to-do-a-full-shutdown-in-windows-8-without-disabling-hybrid-boot
to do a full shutdown)
This has been reported on Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Steps to reproduce:
Unfortunately, this does not seem to be consistently reproducible :-(