[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Windows XP = byebye Maple?

FluffyMooFluffyMoo
Reactions: 765
edited March 2017 in Tech Support
Has anyone managed to install the Nexon Launcher on a windows XP comp? My desktop was working JUST FINE with Gamelauncher. Now they got rid of it, I can't even install the Nexon Launcher. I click on the installer and nothing happens.

WTF?
    No results for this poll

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Well you may experience difficulties on XP regardless, as Microsoft themselves dropped support for the OS about 3 years ago:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support
    You may consider migrating to Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10. If you migrate to 7 I believe there are some customization options that let you make the OS look like XP. There is also the Windows 10 Classic Shell, which will let Win10 look the same as WinXP. However the XP OS itself is considered outdated.

The launcher itself requires a Vista OS or later:
    https://games.nexon.net/nexonlauncher
    It may be possible that the launcher is simply being blocked by the firewall or some other issue, but it may just be easier to upgrade your OS.
    JettLuvsU
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I have two computers with Windows XP.
    One installed and runs the Nexon Launcher fine, but the other keeps getting "network error 20010" when trying to log in. I think it's because the first has IE 8 but the second only has IE 6 which seems to have network issues of its own.
    GameLauncher.exe worked perfectly on both, of course.

Maybe try restarting your computer and running the Nexon Launcher installer on a clean reboot with nothing else running?
  • FluffyMooFluffyMoo
    edited March 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    Well you may experience difficulties on XP regardless, as Microsoft themselves dropped support for the OS about 3 years ago:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-xp-support
    You may consider migrating to Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10. If you migrate to 7 I believe there are some customization options that let you make the OS look like XP. There is also the Windows 10 Classic Shell, which will let Win10 look the same as WinXP. However the XP OS itself is considered outdated.

The launcher itself requires a Vista OS or later:
    https://games.nexon.net/nexonlauncher
    It may be possible that the launcher is simply being blocked by the firewall or some other issue, but it may just be easier to upgrade your OS.

"Easy to upgrade an OS"... HAH! Why do I need to upgrade MY COMPUTER when it was working PERFECTLY FINE before this stupid "upgrade" launcher?

My ancient but awesome Windows XP desktop has been running maplestory for over 10 years WITH NO ISSUES (no lag, no dc, etc). The fact that you introduce a new launcher and discontinue a working one shows how poorly run a company is. Why don't you just say "WE DON'T WANT YOU TO PLAY ANYMORE".

Running maple itself is no issue, just the stupid new launcher that refuses to install. THANKS NEXON for helping me quit your game.
    AKradian wrote: »
    I have two computers with Windows XP.
    One installed and runs the Nexon Launcher fine, but the other keeps getting "network error 20010" when trying to log in. I think it's because the first has IE 8 but the second only has IE 6 which seems to have network issues of its own.
    GameLauncher.exe worked perfectly on both, of course.

Maybe try restarting your computer and running the Nexon Launcher installer on a clean reboot with nothing else running?

I've tried rebooting and still nothing. When I click the install exe file, nothing happens. Did you manage to find some secret install file that works on your XP?
  • nenenenenenenenenene
    Reactions: 1,095
    edited March 2017
    Not sure if it has anything to do with the 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable library'. Try to install the latest that XP support and see.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Mine just won't patch the game via Nexon launcher
  • FluffyMooFluffyMoo
    edited March 2017
    Whose bright idea was it to remove the only stable WORKING launcher and replace it with this piece of crap? FIRE THEM ASAP. Anyone who thinks this is an upgrade is clearly a moron.
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    edited March 2017
    Keep in mind that since 2 years ago, Windows XP has been below MapleStory's minimum requirements. As noted in the linked post, while the client could still run, it was not assured to continue working under these minimum requirements. It is unfortunate that this has prevented your access to the game, but remember that there has been relative warning for such an issue.
    JettLuvsU
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited March 2017
    FluffyMoo wrote: »
    Whose bright idea was it to remove the only stable WORKING launcher and replace it with this piece of crap? FIRE THEM ASAP. Anyone who thinks this is an upgrade is clearly a moron.

To be fair, windows xp is a fairly outdated operating system at this point, i'd recommend upgrading your computer at least to windows 7.
    JettLuvsU
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2017
    "Easy to upgrade an OS"... HAH! Why do I need to upgrade MY COMPUTER when it was working PERFECTLY FINE before this stupid "upgrade" launcher?

My ancient but awesome Windows XP desktop has been running maplestory for over 10 years WITH NO ISSUES (no lag, no dc, etc). The fact that you introduce a new launcher and discontinue a working one shows how poorly run a company is. Why don't you just say "WE DON'T WANT YOU TO PLAY ANYMORE".

Running maple itself is no issue, just the stupid new launcher that refuses to install. THANKS NEXON for helping me quit your game.

Well, Microsoft dropping support for the OS itself is a pretty strong case for most people. Keep in mind that the OS itself was released in 2001, making it a solid 16 years old at this point. XP is considered to be remotely exploitable with numerous security flaws, and Microsoft's official support will recommend upgrading.

Does running the EXE file as an administrator (right click>"Run as Administrator", provided you have access to admin privileges) do anything?
    Some similar issues for other programs recommend reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable, while this CNET discussion talks about an EXE association error. I can't verify the validity of either because I run on Win10.
    JettLuvsU
  • FluffyMooFluffyMoo
    edited March 2017
    Took about 7- 8 reboots before I finally got the Nexon Launcher installed. Why it didn't bother to install in 1 try? Who the hell knows. It's not an admin permission issue, I tried several things before I rebooted.

Now I'm stuck with Akradian's problem. It keeps giving me the error code 20010, a network error occurred.

The actual hell, why do you make playing your game an obstacle course? Can I just login like a normal person? Why am I forced to jump thru all these hoops?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited March 2017
    Took about 7- 8 reboots before I finally got the Nexon Launcher installed. Why it didn't bother to install in 1 try? Who the hell knows. It's not an admin permission issue, I tried several things before I rebooted.

Now I'm stuck with Akradian's problem. It keeps giving me the error code 20010, a network error occurred.

The actual hell, why do you make playing your game an obstacle course? Can I just login like a normal person? Why am I forced to jump thru all these hoops?

Again, it's a very old OS. The newer the game you're installing, the more hoops you're going to have to jump through (if the game works at all).

According to Google, the Network error 20010 is not specific to Maple, since a few people on Combat Arms, Mabinogi, and Riders of Icarus seem to be having the same issue.
    This video says it's as simple as installing Windows updates (again, there are no more for XP) and upgrading Internet Explorer, although I don't know why IE would happen to have an effect on the launcher.
    If the Riders forum is to be believed, this issue also affects launch via Steam (albeit with a different error code). However, their issue was fixed with an unscheduled maintenance.
    However I can't find any alternative fixes and the only thread where this occurs for Maple is about 8 months old.
  • FluffyMooFluffyMoo
    edited March 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

Again, it's a very old OS. The newer the game you're installing, the more hoops you're going to have to jump through (if the game works at all).

According to Google, the Network error 20010 is not specific to Maple, since a few people on Combat Arms, Mabinogi, and Riders of Icarus seem to be having the same issue.
    This video says it's as simple as installing Windows updates (again, there are no more for XP) and upgrading Internet Explorer, although I don't know why IE would happen to have an effect on the launcher.
    If the Riders forum is to be believed, this issue also affects launch via Steam (albeit with a different error code). However, their issue was fixed with an unscheduled maintenance.
    However I can't find any alternative fixes and the only thread where this occurs for Maple is about 8 months old.

The game itself is not the problem, my OS has no issues with the ms client itself. I was playing just fine BEFORE they disabled the gamelauncher.

It's ONLY this stupid new launcher that's the problem. This new launcher is so buggy, it's as if they never tested it out properly before releasing it. That's why people are so pissed off. No, it's not just me. Just from browsing the general section of this forum, I can see people getting screwed left and right by this new launcher.
  • yaboyoliveryaboyoliver
    Reactions: 660
    edited March 2017
    Hi FluffyMoo,
    Are you still having the 20010 issue?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Hi FluffyMoo,

Hi @yaboyoliver
    I'm not FluffyMoo, but I am still getting the 20010 issue in Windows XP.
  • yaboyoliveryaboyoliver
    edited March 2017
    Hi FluffyMoo,

Hi @yaboyoliver

Hi @Akradian,
    Would you please private message me your dxdiag information?
    Although we officially don't support XP, we would like to further investigate to see if a resolution can be found.

Thank you!
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Hi FluffyMoo,

Hi @yaboyoliver

Hi @Akradian,
    Would you please private message me your dxdiag information?
    Although we officially don't support XP, we would like to further investigate to see if a resolution can be found.

Thank you!

Sent, and thank you.

I know there is no official support for Windows XP, but the MapleStory client itself runs perfectly well on it - or did up until the March 23rd mini-patch that removed direct launch. All I'm asking is that the Nexon Launcher not block me from running it.
  • FluffyMooFluffyMoo
    edited March 2017
    Hi FluffyMoo,

Yes I still have the issue. I've tried everything to fix it with no success. I sent a ticket to your CS, and all I got as a response is "we don't support XP, upgrade your comp." Completely unacceptable since the game itself runs just fine. It's only the launcher with the issue (game launcher worked perfectly).
  • yaboyoliveryaboyoliver
    edited April 2017
    Hi FluffyMoo,

Yes I still have the issue. I've tried everything to fix it with no success. I sent a ticket to your CS, and all I got as a response is "we don't support XP, upgrade your comp." Completely unacceptable since the game itself runs just fine. It's only the launcher with the issue (game launcher worked perfectly).

@FluffyMoo

We understand your frustration, we are looking into it!
    Bellamazed
  • FluffyMooFluffyMoo
    edited April 2017
    @FluffyMoo

Please discuss with your team to unblock Game Launcher. If I couldn't even launch the game on XP, I wouldn't be complaining right now. It's only the launcher that's giving me problems, not the game.
  • yaboyoliveryaboyoliver
    edited April 2017
    @FluffyMoo

Please discuss with your team to unblock Game Launcher. If I couldn't even launch the game on XP, I wouldn't be complaining right now. It's only the launcher that's giving me problems, not the game.

noted