[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Shocking....maintenace extended

Comments

• TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited April 2017
    Daleth wrote: »
    Tuba wrote: »
    AlexF wrote: »
    They finished like 2 hours early when they did a patch last week...
    These things happen, and they've not been extending as of late.

Rather they extend to finish patching w.e they need then need to take the game down later.

It's people like you that let them get away with this kind of crap lol. The problem is that they constantly extend their maintenance's for hours on end, and yes you're right these things happen, but these maintenance's should absolutely not be extended as frequently as they are. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of unscheduled maintenance's that happen that also get extended for hours. I'm pretty sure that this isn't game isn't run by a bunch of clueless, preteen kids, so why should customers put up with this nonsense.

I can respect your opinion, but I work in back end software development and when you have a source project as big as maplestory's back end server, it can get really tricky, even with a team of 20 people (or especially) it's easy to make the simplest mistake, like checking if your level is >= 200 for arcane river, or accidentally missing the = and saying >200 for arcane river making only level 201 or higher able to do it. It's a shame that it's like that, but have some heart for the people who sit behind a desk 9 to 5 every day trying to make a game we all take for granted work perfectly. No code is perfect, no matter how clean, or how functional, and that is simply because no human is perfect. and if you think to yourself "hey they should have someone check that every time, duh!" well, they do, and I'll tell you that some classes can be thousands of lines long, it's like spell/grammar checking a entire book -- except a book has a clear front to back system whereas code is complexly interwoven, it's easy to miss a bug and frankly they've been working off the same code for over a decade, it is likely unimaginably huge, so searching it all is very time consuming and difficult.

Long story short: Nexon is just a group of human beings under the same flag, and the ones you see are rarely if ever the ones who actually put the code into the game.

This is all obviously excluding the giant realm of hardware failure, system updates, and more things that are simply out of their control.

I hope that gives you some perspective on it all :)

No I understand that, and I have no doubt that it's difficult to code a game like Maple, but that's why you hire more coders. If what I've read is true, and this game is as understaffed as they say, then that's a problem with the company itself and yeah it's really not fair to put so much responsibility on the few coders they have. As much revenue as this company makes a year, I think it's fair to say they should have way more coders working there than they currently have.

Rather they extend to finish patching w.e they need then need to take the game down later.

It's people like you that let them get away with this kind of crap lol. The problem is that they constantly extend their maintenance's for hours on end, and yes you're right these things happen, but these maintenance's should absolutely not be extended as frequently as they are. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of unscheduled maintenance's that happen that also get extended for hours. I'm pretty sure that this game isn't run by a bunch of clueless, preteen kids, so why should we put up with this nonsense?

No, it shouldn't, you're right. The issue is most of us are used to newer games that do updates differently than Maple.
    It's pretty rare that an entire network needs to come down for hours and hours to update something nowadays. There no secondary server that they update things on them makes it go live.

I'm very vocal on these forums about issues and things that need to change - but you can't say "NO MORE BUGS, FIX EVERYTHING"... and then not give them the chance to fix things.

I don't think anyone here expects them to make all the bugs on the game "disappear". We would like them to continue to fix the current bugs, the problem people on here are having is that the maintenance's are almost always being extended for hours. Also, when certain players try to justify this by saying "oh it's normal, problems come up" you give Nexon the impression that this is acceptable when it's not, because for this to happen almost every time the game goes down isn't acceptable. This has been a pattern for awhile now and I don't play the game as much, but when I try to it seems to be down and it's frustrating. Again, I wouldn't have a problem with them extending the maintenance's every once in awhile especially with big updates, but it's become too frequent.
  • DalethDaleth
    Reactions: 1,855
    edited April 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Game is up!

Yaay! Bringers of good news get cookies and hugs! I don't have any cookies and idk where you are so I hereby declare whoever is the nearest person to your left owes you my debt.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    As much time as they take, they always extend cash items expiration date, so besides that, there's no time limit to finishing anything in maplestory, it's an ever going game with no finish, what's the rush to get back into it? the content will be there. If any compensation will be given, and they usually give when it exceeds a reasonable amount of time.

Non-cash items can expire as well.
    Profession mastery decays.
    And they keep making events where you have to participate every single day for the best rewards - and can't make up a lost day later. And the participation can take hours. 2000 kills, or 10,000 rocket points, or 100 leaves, or...
    I don't know how you can possibly say that "there's no time limit to finishing anything in maplestory". It may be true for normal content, but it's definitely not true for events.
    They've coded the game to make sure people feel pressured to play whenever possible. And then they wonder why we get upset at extended downtime?

It takes me only 5 runs in dipq to get 10k points, it doesnt take more than 30 minutes to defeat 2000 monsters. as for mastery, thats collateral damage, however not a major loss

I like how you ignored the 100 leaves, which require 4 "rain showers", so at least 3 hours.
    And just because it's quick for you doesn't mean it's quick for everyone. Nor does everyone have 24 hours a day free to Maple.

I only mentioned the ones i do, you dont need 24 hours to do the rocket booster or attendance. It's not the end of the world even if you miss a day. I missed V patch event and I didnt complain.

lets break this down, 3 hours for leaves if maintenance ends exactly at 12 +- a few minutes, plus +- 30 minutes of attendance, and another +- 30 minutes for dipq for booster points, youll finish by reset if youre competent. I dont think anyone that even has 24 hours day free plays for 24 hours.
    AngelRose59
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Maintenance times are likely estimates. I don't know how you can get that upset over this... They're spending time & money to fix issues in this game and you're complaining?
  • AngelRose59AngelRose59
    Reactions: 1,360
    edited April 2017
    Daleth wrote: »

It's people like you that let them get away with this kind of crap lol. The problem is that they constantly extend their maintenance's for hours on end, and yes you're right these things happen, but these maintenance's should absolutely not be extended as frequently as they are. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of unscheduled maintenance's that happen that also get extended for hours. I'm pretty sure that this isn't game isn't run by a bunch of clueless, preteen kids, so why should customers put up with this nonsense.

I can respect your opinion, but I work in back end software development and when you have a source project as big as maplestory's back end server, it can get really tricky, even with a team of 20 people (or especially) it's easy to make the simplest mistake, like checking if your level is >= 200 for arcane river, or accidentally missing the = and saying >200 for arcane river making only level 201 or higher able to do it. It's a shame that it's like that, but have some heart for the people who sit behind a desk 9 to 5 every day trying to make a game we all take for granted work perfectly. No code is perfect, no matter how clean, or how functional, and that is simply because no human is perfect. and if you think to yourself "hey they should have someone check that every time, duh!" well, they do, and I'll tell you that some classes can be thousands of lines long, it's like spell/grammar checking a entire book -- except a book has a clear front to back system whereas code is complexly interwoven, it's easy to miss a bug and frankly they've been working off the same code for over a decade, it is likely unimaginably huge, so searching it all is very time consuming and difficult.

Long story short: Nexon is just a group of human beings under the same flag, and the ones you see are rarely if ever the ones who actually put the code into the game.

This is all obviously excluding the giant realm of hardware failure, system updates, and more things that are simply out of their control.

I hope that gives you some perspective on it all :)

VERY WELL SAID. I am going into HTML and JAVA first and than I will be making games, too. So I can just imagine the input all these people put into it and some players just take it for granted . . . that is a sad thing. I do not take Games for granted because I know that it takes a lot of patience and what goes into them.
  • AngelRose59AngelRose59
    Reactions: 1,360
    edited April 2017
    As much time as they take, they always extend cash items expiration date, so besides that, there's no time limit to finishing anything in maplestory, it's an ever going game with no finish, what's the rush to get back into it? the content will be there. If any compensation will be given, and they usually give when it exceeds a reasonable amount of time.

And they keep making events where you have to participate every single day for the best rewards - and can't make up a lost day later. And the participation can take hours. 2000 kills, or 10,000 rocket points, or 100 leaves, or...
    I don't know how you can possibly say that "there's no time limit to finishing anything in maplestory". It may be true for normal content, but it's definitely not true for events.
    They've coded the game to make sure people feel pressured to play whenever possible. And then they wonder why we get upset at extended downtime?

It takes me only 5 runs in dipq to get 10k points, it doesnt take more than 30 minutes to defeat 2000 monsters. as for mastery, thats collateral damage, however not a major loss

I like how you ignored the 100 leaves, which require 4 "rain showers", so at least 3 hours.
    And just because it's quick for you doesn't mean it's quick for everyone. Nor does everyone have 24 hours a day free to Maple.

I only mentioned the ones i do, you dont need 24 hours to do the rocket booster or attendance. It's not the end of the world even if you miss a day. I missed V patch event and I didnt complain.

lets break this down, 3 hours for leaves if maintenance ends exactly at 12 +- a few minutes, plus +- 30 minutes of attendance, and another +- 30 minutes for dipq for booster points, youll finish by reset if youre competent. I dont think anyone that even has 24 hours day free plays for 24 hours.

I was just wondering what the leaves you are talking about are? I don't think that I have come acrossed any leaves yet???
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2017

I was just wondering what the leaves you are talking about are? I don't think that I have come acrossed any leaves yet???

the raining leaves from henesy 13 minutes passed the hour