[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How to make a Class Tier List…

ArchanIomharArchanIomhar
Reactions: 1,025
edited April 2017 in General Chat
How would one even go about that? There are so many crazy variables that it's hard to nail down a good method for putting characters through an unbiased/unskewed test. You'd need some generic equipment, no enchantments (since it's hard to perfectly enchant everything, good god), and only have buffs activated if they are exclusive to one's character class… up against whatever the test may be.

I've seen tier lists everywhere (well… lists translated from Korean forums), but never explaining the acquisition of that information.

So I might not actually try to make a tier list (I guess it would be based on DPS but that puts support and tanks in a not so great place) but I'm just wondering how y'all would go about making a list. I know a lot of statistical analysis goes into regular tier lists (like matchups and what not) but PVP doesn't seem to be a thing in this game… so what would you do to make a tier list for all of the available classes in MS?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    The current Insoya (KMS) table is based on burst DPS against Dojo dummies. I think they use a standardized equipment set, not sure about that.

DPS is a tiny part of the picture, though, even if you exclude tanks and support. Even if you're talking pure attackers, you still need to think of the way they deal with the various boss mechanics. I mean, even an old boss like HT presents a much bigger challenge to classes that don't have Stance than to classes that do. The newer bosses get crazier and crazier and with some, your mobility matters a lot more than your DPS. And your control of your character - which depends on the player, not the class, of course, but different classes are more sensitive to latency than others.

All in all, I find "tier lists" completely pointless. Yes, kids want to know "what's the best class" and "what's the strongest class" all the time. But the truth is, there isn't one. And even if you managed to come up with a list, Nexon keeps tweaking and rebalancing stuff, so your list will be correct for maybe a week or two before you have to change it again.

Don't bother. Just play what you enjoy and pray Nexon doesn't decide to change the class's playstyle too much.
    JettLuvsU
  • ArchanIomharArchanIomhar
    Reactions: 1,025
    edited April 2017
    Mm. Thanks for your inputs.

Honestly, I like it better this way, I think. I was more curious if there was a way to make a tier list, if someone managed an accurate one, and if people actually abide by it, but I'm happy to know that in the end it's probably all bs. ...Truth be, I also wanted to know if Bowmasters were as great as I personally found them to be, but that's because I'm petty. So as system of 'do what you find fun' is pretty great, in which case, I've already been doing the best thing.
    AlexF
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited April 2017
    Charts are always wrong because the people who "test" these classes may or may not be utilizing the class correctly. A class like Paladin are more high mid-tier than bottom tier but because the person who I assume is just spamming away with blast and not gaining the Blast Buff through using charges it makes Paladin look super weak when it isn't.

Note: Blast Buff gives 42% final damage so without it paladins are virtually useless for dealing damage.