[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Beyond Update Name Change

BunnySakiBunnySaki
Reactions: 1,185
edited May 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
They changed the name from Beyond to Override for whatever reason. The new name for the update doesn't make any sense to me.
  1. Should they use the name Beyond for the update?37 votes
    1. Yes
       78% (29 votes)
    2. No
       22% (8 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    It's not an event, it's a major game update.

And I don't know why they changed the name. It makes no sense. The "Beyond" name is good and meaningful (we go beyond the skills we had before and beyond the areas we explored before), while we don't "Override" anything.
    Also, from a marketing point of view. people have known for six months that it's called "Beyond". Some are on break from MapleStory and waiting for "Beyond" to be announced before they jump back in. If they hear that "Override is here" they'll ignore it.
    BunnySakiJettLuvsUHHG1Its2Sharp4U
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    What a time waste, to change the title of an update, which had a perfectly fine name already.

It's renaming the elemental staves all over to some nrs, instead of keeping White Tiger, Red Phoenix etc..
  • JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    I hope they decide to leave it as Beyond. : (
    Yonax
  • ForumKousForumKous
    Reactions: 1,085
    edited May 2017
    Yeah I dont know why nexon always changes the names that they have in Korea?

A few examples:

KMS: Gemstones - GMS: Nodestones
    KMS: Arcane Force - GMS: Arcane Power
    KMS: Road of Vanishing - GMS: Vanishing Journey

& Many more
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2017
    ForumKous wrote: »

A few examples:

& Many more

Some names were kept:

Heroes of Maple
    God of Control
    Reboot
    And so on.

It's just basic localization and there's a lot of things that go into deciding it. For example, it's going to be impossible to keep the KMS name for next year's anniversary because the name is a pun that only works in Korean ("Would You Like Maple?" = "우주 Like 메이플" where "우주" means "universe" or "space" but reads as "would you").
    There's a lot of factors that go into how things are translated and localized, like how well the name works in other languages, or differing themes (e.g. SEA called their "Reboot" update "Acceleration"). Keep in mind this is coming from me, and I've hated overlocalization ever since I saw the old Sailor Moon, but sometimes name changes work a lot better. And sometimes they're worse, but then again, at least we're not calling Lucid, "Sally" just because that sounds "more American".
    JettLuvsU
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    I like it, override your current potential, to override also means to push the limit but also means to in a sense over rule. My first character was named overiide so I like it.

o·ver·ride
    verb
    ˌōvərˈrīd/
    use one's authority to reject or cancel (a decision, view, etc.).
    "the legislature's insistence on overriding his budget vetoes"
    synonyms: disallow, overrule, countermand, veto, quash, overturn, overthrow; More
    technical
    extend over; overlap.
    "the external rendering should not override the vapor barrier"
    noun
    ˈōvərˌrīd/
    a device for suspending an automatic function on a machine.
    an excess or increase on a budget, salary, or cost.
    edited May 2017
    They probably changed it because the original update is called Beyond: winter wonderland. Since in kms the update was during winter.
    JettLuvsU
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    They probably changed it because the original update is called Beyond: winter wonderland. Since in kms the update was during winter.

If that really would be the issue you replace winter with summer, add some ice creams and good weather to it and voila!
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

And they couldn't change it to "Beyond: Summer Sensation" or whatever?

JettLuvsU
    edited May 2017
    Yonax wrote: »

If that really would be the issue you replace winter with summer, add some ice creams and good weather to it and voila!
    AKradian wrote: »

the color scheme wouldnt go with Summer. theyre basically overriding the name and theme while keeping the colors.
  • BunnySakiBunnySaki
    edited May 2017
    I like it, override your current potential, to override also means to push the limit but also means to in a sense over rule. My first character was named overiide so I like it.

o·ver·ride
    verb
    ˌōvərˈrīd/
    use one's authority to reject or cancel (a decision, view, etc.).
    "the legislature's insistence on overriding his budget vetoes"
    synonyms: disallow, overrule, countermand, veto, quash, overturn, overthrow; More
    technical
    extend over; overlap.
    "the external rendering should not override the vapor barrier"
    noun
    ˈōvərˌrīd/
    a device for suspending an automatic function on a machine.
    an excess or increase on a budget, salary, or cost.

It could also be to go BEYOND your potential. Maybe that's why they decided it to name it beyond.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited May 2017
    BunnySaki wrote: »
    They changed the name from Beyond to Override for whatever reason. The new name for the update doesn't make any sense to me.

wait, who changed the update name? KMS or GMS?

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited May 2017
    Xenon92 wrote: »

GMS did, and this is a thing that happens from time to time anyway.
    Xenon92
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited May 2017

I'm pretty sure GMS did.
    ForumKous wrote: »

A few examples:

& Many more

Ultimate Drive>> Mille Augilles
    Soul Warrior>> Dawn Warrior
    Eunwol >> Shade
    Striker >> Thunder Breaker
    Viper >> Buccaneer
    Captain >> Corsair
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited May 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

Beyond still sounds a lot better. when is this patch going to hit GMS
    edited May 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

Beyond still sounds a lot better. when is this patch going to hit GMS

Summer maybe late june into July
  • BunnySakiBunnySaki
    edited May 2017
    DeeMon wrote: »
    Call it whatever the hell you want, dood. I still call Kinesis as Silver the Hedgehog.
    Phase Dash as Trash Dash because it's a garbage skill, Blaze Wizards as Bot Wizards because nexon is too lazy to get rid of them, Dankuusen as Assaulter, Bucc Blast as Kamehameha, Sweeping Staff as Battleking Bar, Hayato as Swordmaster, etc.

Call it what you want but people have been calling it beyond ever since it came out in KMS
  • RikNLRikNL
    Reactions: 2,605
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Yonax wrote: »

the color scheme wouldnt go with Summer. theyre basically overriding the name and theme while keeping the colors.

Blue = the Sea :P
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    I couldn't really care less what it's called but if changing the name takes development time they shouldn't bother which it would in this case.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited May 2017
    I couldn't really care less what it's called but if changing the name takes development time they shouldn't bother which it would in this case.

changing the update name wouldnt require more development time, it would just make the artists have to make a new patch name graphic and different event coins, nothing different than what happens most of the time.

M.I.B. >> Fire Power
    Unlimited >> Spark >> Unleashed

KMS's 13th anniv >> GMS's 12th anniv
    DeeMon wrote: »
    Call it whatever the hell you want, dood. I still call Kinesis as Silver the Hedgehog.
    Phase Dash as Trash Dash because it's a garbage skill, Blaze Wizards as Bot Wizards because nexon is too lazy to get rid of them, Dankuusen as Assaulter, Bucc Blast as Kamehameha, Sweeping Staff as Battleking Bar, Hayato as Swordmaster, etc.

Call it what you want but people have been calling it beyond ever since it came out in KMS

It's not an event, it's a major game update...

...Some are on break from MapleStory and waiting for "Beyond" to be announced before they jump back in. If they hear that "Override is here" they'll ignore it.

I counter this logic because KMS gets every major update before other regions do, and people always call the update by what it was first called in KMS until it hits the localization and release, at that point people generally reference it by whichever they remember, though often it's by whatever localization decided to call it.

you can call it whatever you want, but I'm just saying if your problem is that it's been called Beyond ever since it first got a public release in KMS, then there would never be different update names/Titles outside of anniversary ones or the occasional special content updates, or players on break would just not come back because an update with one name in KMS never "came" to GMS by the same name, but i'm pretty sure if they think about returning they at least know where to get info on the updates no matter what the name is.