[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Q&A Ft. MapleStory's Investigation and CS Team

ArwooArwoo
Reactions: 17,755
edited July 2017 in General Chat
As promised to the community and mentioned in this thread’s title, we will be taking questions from you guys for our Investigations and Customer Support Teams.

It’s clear to us that the community has many questions and concerns when it comes to catching and dealing with those who fail to play by the rules. While our teams will try their best to answer as many of the questions that we will be compiling from this thread as they can, we cannot guarantee a response to each and every one. For those that we cannot answer, we will try our best to explain why.

We ask those of you who participate in this Q&A to be respectful and to avoid asking questions about individual cases.
Again, please do not use this thread for questions pertaining to individual accounts, reports, bans, or appeals.

We will be leaving this thread open for questions until 7/28, after which we will be compiling the questions and forwarding them over to our Investigations and Customer Support Teams for their responses.

Thanks everyone!
JettLuvsUDragventurerRollsPokerStarFirewolfslayer

Comments

• RikenRiken
    Reactions: 440
    edited July 2017
    Are there any future implementations on revamping the autoban system? As it stands, it seems legitimate players are frequently getting banned while bossing or training, or when the servers are having issues.

Are there any sort of 'second chances' being implemented for those that have been temporarily banned/removed off rankings. I know MapleStory has done so in the past, even lifting the bans off of permanently banned players. I'm curious if anything like that is in the works, or could possibly be done for the future. I'm a firm believer that people can change, so a sort of appeals process for those that were temp banned/removed from rankings could be reinstated onto rankings seems fitting and fair to me.

Is better training being done on the customer support teams to better assist us? Most GMs seem pretty incompetent on the happenings of in game events or items. Most don't seem to even play the game or have an understanding of it. They give inconsistent answers or simply copy and paste a response. They're never able to assist players when they're banned, either wrongfully or rightfully, and it leaves a bitter taste for the players. In terms of customer service and communication with players, I feel like there's room for much improvement. Maplestory isn't gaining very many new players, I think it's in the companys best interest to have better player retention through better customer support training to keep those that are playing, to keep playing.
    JettLuvsUFirewolfslayerSherriSuigetsu
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited July 2017
    Hello Customer Support,

For players who sell items for illicit currency such as Paypal (PP,) Western Union (WU) and other forms of money, how come those players don't get banned right away. I've seen players trying to sell on a daily basis through hire merchants or shop permits. And does the player actually have to conduct the trade or even attempt to get banned?
    JettLuvsUFirewolfslayerMatthewHKnightdarik
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited July 2017
    Has there been any discussion yet on the possibility of releasing Zero in Reboot? It's been 2 months since you mentioned that you'd "put down the suggestion" and there hasn't been a single response. And from what I can tell, the question just keeps being avoided.

And why wasn't it already allowed in Reboot? It's already been over a year since the server's release. It's about time Zero gets released, or at least Nexon tells us, clearly, if and why it will or will not be.
    RobinSpeedy
  • VaelVael
    Reactions: 936
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Greetings,

Are the investigations regarding the December 2015 Cube Exploit ever going to resume? Many players were unfairly banned for coming in contact with items they had no clue were exploited, without any way to avoid it.
    The Nexon team has said several times that they will be looking into these unfair bans, however over a year and a half with no results, it's hard to believe that Nexon will be keeping their word.

Thanks.
    JettLuvsUdarik
  • UnforgivennnUnforgivennn
    Reactions: 1,555
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Why are botters not being banned and roaming freely? They are always taking over maps in every channel which ruins gameplay experience for normal players.
    JettLuvsURobinSpeedyFirewolfslayerRollsdarik
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    Arwoo even said not to ask about bans, ban appeals and stuff like that

my question is whats up with the Nexon Launcher, any news on it yet in regards to the issues that arose in conjunction to the Nexon Launcher update
    darik
  • DoKingDoKing
    Reactions: 1,455
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Are there talks in introducing the CAPTCHA text verification system back into GMS that is currently present in the other versions of the game (KMS, MSEA) ? As far as I am aware they were removed because players used the "Lie Detector" USE item to pester players.

Isn't it possible to implement the system while withholding the Lie detector item from use?

I feel this system could help lighten the load with respect to in-game investigations. While it may be somewhat of a nuisance to players, I feel as though this system would be more effective than the "Anti-AFK" mobs in the higher level areas.
    Wouldn't this be another feasible method to help thin the numbers of botters/afk trainers in the game?

This is the system I am talking about http://www.maplesea.com/news/view/updated_captcha_system/
    JettLuvsUxShiller
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Why isn't Live Chat available around the clock, as befits a Global service?
    PeepKittiesDoKingxShiller
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017

my question is whats up with the Nexon Launcher, any news on it yet in regards to the issues that arose in conjunction to the Nexon Launcher update

He said not to ask about individual bans. As in, "Please unban me!" or "Why is X still not banned despite me reporting them every day for a month?"

Customer Support and the Investigations Team do not fix bugs, prioritize bugs to be fixed, or test the software, so there's no point asking them about game (or launcher) issues.
    JettLuvsUKittiesFirewolfslayer
  • XenooooonXenooooon
    Reactions: 340
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    What happens after someone reports another player in the in-game reporting system?

I assume not, but ill ask anyways, Are there GM's 24/7? or is it like 12 hours a day of "patrolling"?

Why is the customer server chat not available 24/7? GMS (description in many sites official and non-official) stating maplestory is "GLOBAL", if it were such the case, all services would be open 24 hours a day.

Once a GM spots a hacker, that is CLEARLY hacking, do they get a warning or an instant permanent ban. I understand wanting to keep your playerbase but if you give them a warning they obviously will continue doing it again, which also leads me to my second question,

If you do work by warnings, are these warnings recorded somewhere? or do you just keep warning the same players who repeat the offense.

Does maplestory take any action outside of the official forums ( in example the hacking sites that are being promoted in and outside of maple ) because technically its against the tos to hack the game.

That would be it
    JettLuvsUdarik
  • zz2020zz2020
    Reactions: 920
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Riken wrote: »
    Are there any future implementations on revamping the autoban system? As it stands, it seems legitimate players are frequently getting banned while bossing or training, or when the servers are having issues.

Are there any sort of 'second chances' being implemented for those that have been temporarily banned/removed off rankings. I know MapleStory has done so in the past, even lifting the bans off of permanently banned players. I'm curious if anything like that is in the works, or could possibly be done for the future. I'm a firm believer that people can change, so a sort of appeals process for those that were temp banned/removed from rankings could be reinstated onto rankings seems fitting and fair to me.

Is better training being done on the customer support teams to better assist us? Most GMs seem pretty incompetent on the happenings of in game events or items. Most don't seem to even play the game or have an understanding of it. They give inconsistent answers or simply copy and paste a response. They're never able to assist players when they're banned, either wrongfully or rightfully, and it leaves a bitter taste for the players. In terms of customer service and communication with players, I feel like there's room for much improvement. Maplestory isn't gaining very many new players, I think it's in the companys best interest to have better player retention through better customer support training to keep those that are playing, to keep playing.

a lot of off-ranks people are those who got caught hacking/macroing in order to train faster. I disagree with letting them be in the rankings with the people who have never hacked or macroed. If they can appeal and get back on ranks then that just sends a message that "it's okay to be caught once, you can just appeal and get back on so bot away".
    edited July 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

He said not to ask about individual bans. As in, "Please unban me!" or "Why is X still not banned despite me reporting them every day for a month?"

Customer Support and the Investigations Team do not fix bugs, prioritize bugs to be fixed, or test the software, so there's no point asking them about game (or launcher) issues.

it says individual accounts, bans, and ban appeals. It goes without saying it refers to not calling people out since it is name shaming and that is against the code of conduct/ ToS. Perhaps I read it too black and white.

And they may not work on it themselves but they most likely have information on it.

JettLuvsU
  • NireonNireon
    Reactions: 200
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Pet loot lagg has been an issue for the longest time. You guys have noticed this and has been under investigation for the longest time how is the progress going investigating this and can we expect a fix anytime soon?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017

it says individual accounts, bans, and ban appeals. It goes without saying it refers to not calling people out since it is name shaming and that is against the code of conduct/ ToS. Perhaps I read it too black and white.

And they may not work on it themselves but they most likely have information on it.

You could also ask them about the famous coffee machine at the Nexon offices, but it would not be a good use of their time.
    All the information they're likely to have is "We got player complaints about this. We forwarded it. It's being worked on."

Perhaps @Arwoo should include a description, in the opening post, of what the Customer Support and Investigation Team do, what they're responsible for, so people would know what relevant questions to ask.
    JettLuvsUFirewolfslayer
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited July 2017
    Riken wrote: »

I hope they never bring this back. Both times they have the majority of people who came back just went right back to hacking/botting. There's very few who actually change their ways.

Hello,

I have a few questions.

Why aren't hackers permanently banned on their first ban?
    Being someone who has reported and gotten various hackers banned it always disheartens me when I see them back. These players know exactly what they are doing. You don't accidentally download and use hacks and they do the same thing when they are back or until they hit 250 in which they start doing it on a mule account.

Why do people who have been banned for botting/hacking get to keep all their "progress"?
    The worst part about people coming back from a ban is that they lose nothing. This is why you have so many people who hack/bot and do not care because they know even if they get banned they'll still have everything after the ban. I know de-leveling players may cause issues but there has to be something else that can be done. People who bot or exploit should have all goods removed after their ban and more.

Why aren't shops in the free market investigated?
    There are loads of shops that scream "hacker/botter". They are filled with elite boss items, legendary items and spell trace usually. A lot of these shops have been in business for years and are making thousands of dollars off your game. It wouldn't be hard to look into the shop owners and see what trades are being done to and from the player. You would get a large stream of accounts connected to it that are going to be hacking mule accounts and you'd also get the player's main.

Not 100% sure if these questions are relevant to these specific teams. If a description of what the Customer Support and Investigation Team do, what they're responsible for is added like Akradian has said I can modify or change based on relevancy.
    JettLuvsUDoKingJushiroNetRolls
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Is it true that Customer Support agents are measured by the number of tickets they close and/or live chat conversations they complete?

If so, is there any mechanism in place to make sure their motivation to help the players and the game is higher than their motivation to close the case ASAP?

If it is not true, how do you explain the cases in which people got brushed off by CS agents, only to get a completely different response once the issue was escalated to a Senior GM, or the CM took notice?

Regardless, is there any place we as players can report Customer Support agents who seem to be especially ignorant, lazy, or dishonest? Satisfying as it is to ridicule them and the company they represent on reddit, I'd really rather have their supervisors notified so these people can either be trained better or booted.
    JettLuvsUDoKingKittiesBahamut_XRollsIvangold
    edited July 2017

You could also ask them about the famous coffee machine at the Nexon offices, but it would not be a good use of their time.
    All the information they're likely to have is "We got player complaints about this. We forwarded it. It's being worked on."

Perhaps @Arwoo should include a description, in the opening post, of what the Customer Support and Investigation Team do, what they're responsible for, so people would know what relevant questions to ask.

There's no need to nit pick on one question I'm asking when there's little probability it'll even be addressed since the majority want to hear about hackers and botters and what is being done about it. Should've just left it at "not a good question"
  • PokerStarPokerStar
    Reactions: 860
    edited July 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    As promised to the community and mentioned in this thread’s title, we will be taking questions from you guys for our Investigations and Customer Support Teams.

It’s clear to us that the community has many questions and concerns when it comes to catching and dealing with those who fail to play by the rules. While our teams will try their best to answer as many of the questions that we will be compiling from this thread as they can, we cannot guarantee a response to each and every one. For those that we cannot answer, we will try our best to explain why.

We ask those of you who participate in this Q&A to be respectful and to avoid asking questions about individual cases.
    Again, please do not use this thread for questions pertaining to individual accounts, reports, bans, or appeals.

We will be leaving this thread open for questions until 7/28, after which we will be compiling the questions and forwarding them over to our Investigations and Customer Support Teams for their responses.

Thanks everyone!

Hello Arwoo:
    - Is there any way to reduce high latency for South America players? I've used WTFast, which helped me a lot, but i had to expend some money aswell.
    - My normal ping goes around 250~400ms at morning and 400~600ms at evening.
    - My current location its Chile (South America)

Have a great day & thanks for spreading time on our questions. ~
    Pokerstar - Night Lord 235 - Bera Server
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Does it ever hurt or demoralize you to read, hear, or witness the things people say about you? Assuming you know the things people say about you?

Yes, of all the things I want to know, it's that.
  • eightlegseightlegs
    Reactions: 570
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Why are bots treated with such leniency? There are players who admit to hacking and botting on the official discord, some of which are permanently banned in game, yet the VFM's and moderators defend them and allow them to interact with people in this chat? If you want to cut down on the amount of bots in game, you really need to increase the penalties levied on these players.
    DarkPassengerRollsFrappuccino0ManiOh