[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Look of the Month - July Winner Announcement

ArwooArwoo
Reactions: 17,755
edited July 2017 in Contests and Events
Ahoy, Maplers!

As promised with the results of last month's contest we have included our judging sheet for the contest of July.
If you would like to see how your entry performed with our panel of judges, please see here: http://ow.ly/7Ksl30e0dOL

Should you have any questions with the scoring, you're more than welcomed to ask.
However, as much as we'd like to include reasoning behind the scoring of each individual, we do not have the time and resources to have it all documented.

Without further ado! Please give a round of applause to our winners:
Grand Prize Winner

Apotrina:
tAuDgpv.jpg

Absolutely a Mapler that would have you do a double-take if they walked by you! A dazzling look featuring what's hot and new in a style that would steal any spotlight.
Runner Ups

dena:
RFpjget.jpg

You'd think the bright colors that work wonderfully well with the theme of nature is the charm of this entry, however, there's a very subtle undertone of serenity that ties together the bright and calm in one look.

Taboo:
0A7T63t.jpg

Is old the new in? Taboo redefines the statement of "out with the old and in with the new" because his ancient apparel is packed with divine justice and cuteness!

Sayüri:
kz5u8qH.jpg

Time to address the pink elephant in the room! Sayüri takes a trendy approach by going for what's cute without trying too hard.

Thank you to everyone who participated in July's Look of the Month contest and don't be discouraged if you didn't win!

If you did not win this month's contest, we'd love to see your entry again within this upcoming month!
Winners are NOT permitted to enter the same look in future Look of the Month contests, however, this rule does not apply for those who have yet to hold a winning look (Runner Up does not count as a winning look)

We'll be sending out the prizes before 8/15/2017, please contact us if you do not receive your Maple Points by the specified date.

Winners:
    Grand Prize:
    Runner Ups:
  • dena - 10,000 Maple Points
  • Taboo - 10,000 Maple Points
  • Sayüri - 10,000 Maple Points
JettLuvsUBDOJcFeikRenni

Comments

• JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Wow that doc... O:
    Super cool to see how things were judged.
    Invulgo
  • XaecXaec
    Reactions: 780
    edited July 2017
    Nice I got the lowest score possible
    28 points xD
    6969lolz6969
  • BDOBDO
    Reactions: 1,815
    edited July 2017
    Ooomg!!! Thank you!
  • BDOBDO
    Reactions: 1,815
    edited July 2017
    Oooomg!!!
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Wait, is "Personal Taste" just the opinion of the judge? That's about all I'm stuck on.
    Also here's the post talking about the details behind each category: http://maplestory.tumblr.com/post/159538695346/any-maple-fashionistas-here-if-you-think-you-have
  • NeurobeatNeurobeat
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Neat! o:

Any specific reason why each judge gives a score out of 19 total (5+5+6+3) instead of 20 (for a total of 100 points across the 5 judges)? Seems like a strange number LOL.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited July 2017
    Xenomata wrote: »
    Wait, is "Personal Taste" just the opinion of the judge? That's about all I'm stuck on.
    Also here's the post talking about the details behind each category: http://maplestory.tumblr.com/post/159538695346/any-maple-fashionistas-here-if-you-think-you-have

Because fashion is often times subjective to each individual, that category is more of to see if you struck a preference of any particular judge. It gives the lowest maximum potential score as personal preference is not the greatest contributing factor to a victory, but we shouldn't pretend that it doesn't exist.

It was also noticed by competitors of last month's contest that certain looks had a higher chance of winning and raised the question of if the judges preferred X over Y. Our panel of judges are rarely the same and the personal taste of what each judge liked for each month should be more visible now.

At the end of the day, an overall low score in every main category will more than often result in a low score of personal taste. It should be seen as a complementary category that also lets myself know more about my judges and helps the competitors know more as well.
  • TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I'm glad that I don't have the lowest score. I'll accept 50 but atleast I wasn't dead last in the competition that I always thought was happening. Thank you for your time judging. Next time I know what to work on. Thanks!!
    JettLuvsU
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Xenomata wrote: »

Because fashion is often times subjective to each individual, that category is more of to see if you struck a preference of any particular judge. It gives the lowest maximum potential score as personal preference is not the greatest contributing factor to a victory, but we shouldn't pretend that it doesn't exist.

It was also noticed by competitors of last month's contest that certain looks had a higher chance of winning and raised the question of if the judges preferred X over Y. Our panel of judges are rarely the same and the personal taste of what each judge liked for each month should be more visible now.

At the end of the day, an overall low score in every main category will more than often result in a low score of personal taste. It should be seen as a complementary category that also lets myself know more about my judges and helps the competitors know more as well.

Huh... that's actually quite interesting. I don't partake in these Look of the Month competitions enough to notice any weird patterns going on like "certain looks".

...I'm at least glad I was "painfully average" across the board (Amulidam).
    JettLuvsU
  • BruiseBruise
    Reactions: 1,375
    edited July 2017
    Hello, thank you for including the grading sheet, Arwoo. It's interesting.

It looks like the judges tend to lean toward cute nx and nx with a low amount of parts.

However, there seems to be an inconsistency since they awarded Taboo with above average points for theme and trendiness while they awarded Xaec with the second least amount -- judges 1 and 5 specifically -- despite both looks being old-school. I have possible reasoning for this, but I'm not sure which way to interpret it. Can you shed light on this?

I am interested in knowing how trendiness is established. The way I interpret it is that it's related to the amount of people who buy the nx items in a given month. Is this true?

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say Apotrina's style stood out to me, so if I were to interpret the words, would it be that extra points are awarded for nx items released during that month?
    JettLuvsUDontEatChalk