[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Q&A Ft. MapleStory's Investigation and CS Team

Comments

• OneOne
    Reactions: 1,485
    edited August 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Hi Maplers!

We've reopened this discussion with the response that we've gathered from our CS and Investigations team. Apologies if an answer could not be provided to your question in this round of Q&A. We would like to hold more of these in the future in our hopes to provide Maplers with more insight into our constant battle with illegitimate players and the support that is provided. Thank you to everyone who participated in this Q&A by submitting your questions!

Q: Are the investigations regarding the December 2015 Cube Exploit ever going to resume? Many players were unfairly banned for coming in contact with items they had no clue were exploited, without any way to avoid it.
    A: We are no longer investigating this issue and we consider the matter closed.
    To add a bit of transparency regarding the December 2015 cube exploit, I’d like to share with you some of the criteria we used for investigating the issue. First of all, there were a set number of players taking direct part in the exploit that allowed a player to exploit a hot time reward box, which gave players an unlimited amount of miracle cubes. Those accounts have been permanently blocked with no chance of release. The investigation didn’t stop there, as the team had to look for associated accounts involved with the exploit. We looked into the movement flow of items that were obtained by and given to direct exploiters for upgrade, but we didn’t place blocks solely on that. We had to look at other criteria as well, such as IP association, the quantity of items received from direct exploiters, and whether or not there was indirect trade activity or other types of behavior indicative of malicious intent to profit from the exploit. If any account fit these criteria, the accounts were found to be associated or tied to direct exploiters and were blocked.
    Last year, the investigations team was made aware via forums and other social media channels of player's concerns about the resolution of this case. The team took another look into the investigation of the December exploit to see if appropriate actions and decisions by investigators were taken at the time. We came to the conclusion that the actions the investigators took to look into the accounts were appropriate. Because of that we consider the matter closed.

Thank you,

-Maple Team

It does concern me how terribly these players are portrayed when the exploit wasn't even patched during the aftermath and was left unpatched until the next incident (July 2016) in which ONLY direct exploiters were dealt with. The answer was insightful but fails to address many other issues such as inconsistent punishments between two identical incidents, proven flaws in the investigation such as missed items and accounts that DIRECTLY exploited it. Furthermore, if the December incident was re-evaluated after the July incident (in which those indirectly benefiting were NOT banned), it makes even less sense that the decision was upheld when a few weeks prior, an identical exploit lead to different conclusions on who should be banned.

To further expand on the inconsistent punishment, 2 weeks prior to the December 2015 cube exploit, there was an exploit on Reboot involving generating 99 black cubes and acquiring billions of mesos infinitely (all mentioned exploits are due to faults in game design and not 3rd party hacking tools) and not a single person was banned despite malicious intent by many. The typical response we hear regarding stuff like this is "It is at the discretion of the GM" but that should really mean something like 3 day ban vs 1 week ban and not 0 ban+removal of items vs permanent ban.

Also very ironic to read "Ideally, we'd like to give an abusive player the benefit of the doubt that they had a moment of weakness when it comes to their decision making when deciding to use third party hacking tools" right after.

Nexon M's guideline is also much more sensible and seems to be something that Nexon can benefit from:
    4148a8f161.png

Time and time again, we see support on sites like reddit regarding topics like these. At the end of the day, Nexon is a business and this incident has done nothing good for either parties--2 years later, we're still seeing this topic and the negative PR it brings.
  • MisterPENGUINMisterPENGUIN
    Reactions: 2,075
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Uhm okay, i knew this was coming soon but i would ohave like this to come out near 2015 or 2016, 2017 and here we are.

My Question's since 2012.

1.) Why did you make the #1 Horrible class op for hacker's aka Blaze Wizard's. Nobody created Blaze Wizard's to hack or farm hack. They created other classes like Wild Hunter's. You made a class pretty much just for hacker's and they're loving the buff's on it. They don't have anything equipped yet clear map in 1.3 second's.

2.) Why arn't multiple offender's of the ToS Banned Perm or even IP Banned? I understand IP Banning someone is hard because Public Wifi's and Mcdonald's wifi's. That shouldn't be you'r concern though. If it was a Cafe or something and a bunch of people played maplestory there, once decided to hack and got Everyone IP Banned. Then it would be up to the cafe to change IP Correct? I don't know if IP Ban mean's you can't use you'r account or use that IP to login your account.

3.) People who sell Items for real currency. This has been an issue SINCE 2012 and has just grown further and further. I might get the answer "It's hard to catch people like this". I see FM Shop's aka Mushie's with plenty of those title's. C.O 100$/250$/90$ USD or they will give the title's Offer In USD? So many shop's have this and so many people violate the rule's. I've actually gotten banned from this because i sold a In Real Life friend Brown work glove's in 2012 for 20$. Got banned for Violating ToS.

4.) When will Job's get Skill revamps? Seem's like there is a TON of classes that are just to weak, they're skill's are horrible or even worst, the mobility.
    Buccaneer, Corsair, Evan's are KIND of weak in skill performance, Shadowers, & more that i can't think of at the moment.

5.) When will we have GM Event's? Seems like since 2011 there hasn't been much. A couple Boss Summon's here and there. Etc etc mostly event's that take 2 minute's to get done.
    I want to actually talk to a GM, ask him how is his day & other stuff.

6.) Would you make certain people on GMS able to Report and actually get it to someone? I was thinking of not Hiring but offering people a free job, so pretty much you ask people who want to be Reporter's or something. They simply go around like a GM but the only thing is, when they report someone is actually get's filed somewhere. If they report someone who isn't hacking or breaking ToS then they should be removed from the Team Reporter's. Also you would need proof of this incident. Maybe make a google doc's for just the reporter's have ana ccess key and let them make report's with proof. I've filed many Report's & Ticket's regarding hacker's, Rule breakers. Nothing happened. I would like to see a change in the system, i know GM's are busy everyday and doing what they do, But i seen atleast 18 hacker's in just ariant yesterday. It's gotten out of hand. Not you fault, just the hacker's getting wild on coding.

7.) Auction house, I feel like a LOT of people don't actually know about auction house. I actually didn't notice it was implemented in the game until someone told me about it. I've been active for quite some time too. Maybe another shoutout of it or show people how to use it?

8.) Phone's. Why don't we have phone's in game? Like a Phone that pop's up on your screen when you hit a key or click a button? Not like the one in that School thing. Something like that but pretty much, You open the phone, Click on a Friend or aka Contact and once clicked you can automatically start chatting. All you have to do is Press 0, Open's phone. Click on the Contact's tab, Scroll down and click on the person you want to chat OR send something too? I mean the delivery system doesn't work. You can't send package's. Maybe that would be cool but a lot of people are probably going to say no. Just an IDEA. Also maybe people can call you? Have certain message's to reply back and you can actually hear it?
    Example: Call's friend ZucciniLover.
    Ring's on his and my side.
    Ring ring ring.
    Option to Answer Or Ignore, Also option to Ignore for the Next ETC minute's. So he would put 5 or something.
    He proceeds to answer and it show's a couple or a LOT in the future of message's to say.
    Hello?
    Hey!
    What are you doing?
    Nothing HBU?
    Im good nm.
    Want to Boss?
    Sure.
    Nah.
    I don't know.
    Im weak!

Also the option to choose what kind of phrases you want in you'r phone. Choose from i don't know 500?
    I know a lot of people have friend's but some people are a bit to nice. So say for instance i asked my buddy chat aka one person.
    Hey bro wanna Gollux?
    Then this dude say's yeah bro!
    And your to nice to say no so your like alright.
    Pretty much PRIVACY! Now your saying, Well why not whisper? Doesn't seem as cool LEL. Also sometime's with the new Hyphened letter's you can whisper people...
    My friend's name is Bànnàna. You think i can type that or even whisper him? Nope. It's just a cool idea and that's all i have to say.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited August 2017
    Uhm okay, i knew this was coming soon but i would ohave like this to come out near 2015 or 2016, 2017 and here we are.

My Question's since 2012.

1.) Why did you make the #1 Horrible class op for hacker's aka Blaze Wizard's. Nobody created Blaze Wizard's to hack or farm hack. They created other classes like Wild Hunter's. You made a class pretty much just for hacker's and they're loving the buff's on it. They don't have anything equipped yet clear map in 1.3 second's.

2.) Why arn't multiple offender's of the ToS Banned Perm or even IP Banned? I understand IP Banning someone is hard because Public Wifi's and Mcdonald's wifi's. That shouldn't be you'r concern though. If it was a Cafe or something and a bunch of people played maplestory there, once decided to hack and got Everyone IP Banned. Then it would be up to the cafe to change IP Correct? I don't know if IP Ban mean's you can't use you'r account or use that IP to login your account.

3.) People who sell Items for real currency. This has been an issue SINCE 2012 and has just grown further and further. I might get the answer "It's hard to catch people like this". I see FM Shop's aka Mushie's with plenty of those title's. C.O 100$/250$/90$ USD or they will give the title's Offer In USD? So many shop's have this and so many people violate the rule's. I've actually gotten banned from this because i sold a In Real Life friend Brown work glove's in 2012 for 20$. Got banned for Violating ToS.

4.) When will Job's get Skill revamps? Seem's like there is a TON of classes that are just to weak, they're skill's are horrible or even worst, the mobility.
    Buccaneer, Corsair, Evan's are KIND of weak in skill performance, Shadowers, & more that i can't think of at the moment.

5.) When will we have GM Event's? Seems like since 2011 there hasn't been much. A couple Boss Summon's here and there. Etc etc mostly event's that take 2 minute's to get done.
    I want to actually talk to a GM, ask him how is his day & other stuff.

6.) Would you make certain people on GMS able to Report and actually get it to someone? I was thinking of not Hiring but offering people a free job, so pretty much you ask people who want to be Reporter's or something. They simply go around like a GM but the only thing is, when they report someone is actually get's filed somewhere. If they report someone who isn't hacking or breaking ToS then they should be removed from the Team Reporter's. Also you would need proof of this incident. Maybe make a google doc's for just the reporter's have ana ccess key and let them make report's with proof. I've filed many Report's & Ticket's regarding hacker's, Rule breakers. Nothing happened. I would like to see a change in the system, i know GM's are busy everyday and doing what they do, But i seen atleast 18 hacker's in just ariant yesterday. It's gotten out of hand. Not you fault, just the hacker's getting wild on coding.

7.) Auction house, I feel like a LOT of people don't actually know about auction house. I actually didn't notice it was implemented in the game until someone told me about it. I've been active for quite some time too. Maybe another shoutout of it or show people how to use it?

8.) Phone's. Why don't we have phone's in game? Like a Phone that pop's up on your screen when you hit a key or click a button? Not like the one in that School thing. Something like that but pretty much, You open the phone, Click on a Friend or aka Contact and once clicked you can automatically start chatting. All you have to do is Press 0, Open's phone. Click on the Contact's tab, Scroll down and click on the person you want to chat OR send something too? I mean the delivery system doesn't work. You can't send package's. Maybe that would be cool but a lot of people are probably going to say no. Just an IDEA. Also maybe people can call you? Have certain message's to reply back and you can actually hear it?
    Example: Call's friend ZucciniLover.
    Ring's on his and my side.
    Ring ring ring.
    Option to Answer Or Ignore, Also option to Ignore for the Next ETC minute's. So he would put 5 or something.
    He proceeds to answer and it show's a couple or a LOT in the future of message's to say.
    Hello?
    Hey!
    What are you doing?
    Nothing HBU?
    Im good nm.
    Want to Boss?
    Sure.
    Nah.
    I don't know.
    Im weak!

Also the option to choose what kind of phrases you want in you'r phone. Choose from i don't know 500?
    I know a lot of people have friend's but some people are a bit to nice. So say for instance i asked my buddy chat aka one person.
    Hey bro wanna Gollux?
    Then this dude say's yeah bro!
    And your to nice to say no so your like alright.
    Pretty much PRIVACY! Now your saying, Well why not whisper? Doesn't seem as cool LEL. Also sometime's with the new Hyphened letter's you can whisper people...
    My friend's name is Bànnàna. You think i can type that or even whisper him? Nope. It's just a cool idea and that's all i have to say.

1-What you mean op for hackers? KMS did the classes and hardly care if people hack in other servers with em, yes they are the most used by hackers, but that's not a problem GMS can change, and any change to the class might do another Mechanic effect and making the class complete diferent.

2-IP ban would ban all players acc's and problably the IP as well, if you try to use the game in this McDonalt banned IP you won't log in and nothing will happen, but those who used maple with the hackers might get the same ban as him or worst.

3-2012 is 5years and it changed a lot, the game is much more dependent on those people who sell itens for $$, there's also how they make larger trades than you did, it's like a Politician who stole milons hardly get a punushiment while the poor one(who might steal a apple) get a harder one.

4-If you don't know how to play these classes or expect to get damage of buffs, better wait some years, cause most of em are balanced, yes they are not super OP, but they are good classes; i go agree some explorers could have some change, but it wouldn't be drastic like RED did or what you ask, if you can't farm mesos then you can't expect to get strong quick by doing nothing.

5-I remember there was plent of GM's events where people talked a bit with em, they did JQs and other things(i didn't go, but they did more than summon mobs), besides GMS aren't what they used to, a lot of people outdamage em and outbuff em so they are not the'' gods'' they were in the past.

6-Why only certain people? They need focus on what make so many hackers and fight against it, not ban hackers like people expect, they really should ban high level hackers that take longer to level and will affect more the economy(like in Arcane River getting nodestones).

7-Pretty much goes for most things, like Monster Collection or Union, they explain in NPC chats, but that's it, there isn't a guide for FM, yet everyone learned how to use it.

8-Actually, look this video, there's something similar in KMS:
    And what's this phone? Why a phone if you have CHAT(it can be private if you only invite him) ingame and the whole game is in texts already, there's whispers as well if you forgot f3, unless you mean people talk on the phone with people in-game which i doubt they can pull that off(at least soon).

Also, @One, i know it was kind unfair, yes they did abuse which idk why some of em did, a friend who got banned knew he was abusing and got ban, he had pro eqps as well, but still did, i can bet some of those pro players also abused a bit and got caught, it's easyer for Nexon to unban em with other players(like once they did a masssive unban), i just wonder why they couldn't put a 6month ban for some or even 1year, these players are certanly valuable, well, we don't have all the information they have, so can't say for sure how unfair it was.

I don't know for sure, but i guess part of Nexon want to change and other don't, they will need if they want GMS alive, hope they do soon, really want to see Maple florish like it once did.
  • EliulEliul
    Reactions: 340
    edited August 2017
    Q: Why aren't hackers permanently banned on their first ban? Being someone who has reported and gotten various hackers banned it always disheartens me when I see them back. These players know exactly what they are doing. You don't accidentally download and use hacks and they do the same thing when they are back or until they hit 250 in which they start doing it on a mule account.
    Q: How is the length of bans determined? A more direct question: why is hacking given potentially as light of a ban as 2 weeks? I have seen many players using hacks to attack the entire map, and farm nodes/elite drops only get 2-4 week bans. This length of time seems more appropriate to a macro botter (that is a bot that doesn't hack).

A: Ideally, we'd like to give an abusive player the benefit of the doubt that they had a moment of weakness when it comes to their decision making when deciding to use third party hacking tools. Also, we'd like to think that a minimum term of a two week suspension plus possible rank removal, is enough of a reason for a previously innocent player not to continue their cheating ways. Unfortunately, we understand that's often not the case, and we'll have to take a deeper look into that. Also, keep in mind that we take repeat offenses for hacking very seriously and will often institute a no-leniency stance on those accounts. At the end of the day, the lengths of the ban are based on the type of offense and frequency, and the Sr. GM is final arbiter when a decision needs to be made concerning ban leniency.
    Also, we'd like to think that a minimum term of a two week suspension plus possible rank removal, is enough of a reason for a previously innocent player not to continue their cheating ways.
    plus possible rank removal

So you're telling me that hackers who intentionally download 3rd party programs to gain an advantage only get POSSIBLE rank removal, while people who meso farm in Reboot with no 3rd party programs who get banned once are forever off rankings? Hello...
  • GingeTasticGingeTastic
    Reactions: 300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Q: Why are botters not being banned and roaming freely? They are always taking over maps in every channel which ruins gameplay experience for normal players.
    A: We do our best to catch and ban the players that violate our Terms of Service and continue to explore different methods to improve our abilities to do so.

Arwoo, I'd like to redirect, or rather ask this question, a different way. With MapleStory being the complex game that it can be. How can we as players help devs and GMS with locating these botters, in order to have them reported, and what is currently the reason that locating these players is so difficult?
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Q: Why are botters not being banned and roaming freely? They are always taking over maps in every channel which ruins gameplay experience for normal players.
    A: We do our best to catch and ban the players that violate our Terms of Service and continue to explore different methods to improve our abilities to do so.

Arwoo, I'd like to redirect, or rather ask this question, a different way. With MapleStory being the complex game that it can be. How can we as players help devs and GMS with locating these botters, in order to have them reported, and what is currently the reason that locating these players is so difficult?

That's exactly what i want to know. I've been roaming around maps and places to just farm equips or familiars at, or even train. All i see map after map are botter's. Especially in leafre. That's not even a training spot anymore just maps full of them. 2-5 at most! Each channel. I don't understand how you can't just add people [NOT GMs] but people to like a Police thing. Where they can go around, Report botter's, Show Proof with Screenshot. Attach SS to a forum thread or some other reporting place and get them banned?
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

That's exactly what i want to know. I've been roaming around maps and places to just farm equips or familiars at, or even train. All i see map after map are botter's. Especially in leafre. That's not even a training spot anymore just maps full of them. 2-5 at most! Each channel. I don't understand how you can't just add people [NOT GMs] but people to like a Police thing. Where they can go around, Report botter's, Show Proof with Screenshot. Attach SS to a forum thread or some other reporting place and get them banned?

Cause obviously you'r GM's aren't doing a good job lol. Also why is it that when people spend little money to spam megaphone's saying "This IGN scammed me! beware" you get suspended or banned. But when rich player's spend 1,000$ a month on the game and spam over 90 megaphone's saying "Im #1 GM" "I hate nexon **** you" or even "Free NX Cause I'm A GM". They get nothing. Seen him log in the next day and do the same thing 3x.
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Ivangold wrote: »

8-Actually, look this video, there's something similar in KMS:

Oh My Gawd. YES! This would be so helpful! thanks for showing me this omg.
  • bazzybazzy
    Reactions: 1,525
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Why are botters not being banned and roaming freely? They are always taking over maps in every channel which ruins gameplay experience for normal players.

stick a GM in Mu Lung and boom, moneyshot
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Ivangold wrote: »
    4-If you don't know how to play these classes or expect to get damage of buffs, better wait some years, cause most of em are balanced, yes they are not super OP, but they are good classes; i go agree some explorers could have some change, but it wouldn't be drastic like RED did or what you ask, if you can't farm mesos then you can't expect to get strong quick by doing nothing.

No, they are definitely not balanced (except maybe Evan, he's not really as weak as the other classes listed) compared to other classes, especially Shadower, people play every other thief over them, because their attacks are slower, and have nothing else to make up for it (ok maybe they can gain mesos better, but that would only be useful in Reboot anyway, which isn't very fair). He never said he didn't put effort in, or didn't know how to use them, and expected to them to be good, you just put words in his mouth.

Just because Jett and Beast Tamer are even weaker, doesn't mean these other classes are balanced. Sure some of these classes have good 5th job skills, but that's much to late in the game for them to just start getting better. You kind of turned your thoughts into an attack by assuming he didn't play the classes enough to know how balanced, or unbalanced they are.

These classes should at least be as strong as other explorers, they don't have to be OP, as you phrased it, but they do need to at least catch up with their counterparts. There is a major difference between the number of players of each explorer class, because they aren't as good as other explorers. This shouldn't even exist as a reason, it should be based on preference, and some classes being stronger in one way than another. The way it is now some classes are weaker in every way than others just within the explorer branch.

If you would have just made your point without making assumptions, I wouldn't feel the need to reply to this, but because of you adding pointless conjecture, I felt I had to.

• ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    1. Why nexon for those that fall to follow the rules set them off rank and let them play instead of perm/time ban + fully clean their inventorys?
    2.Why there is no activ GM or GM team in luna ( or as i heard in few other worlds aswell?) and why they could not keep with EMS GM team (golbal GM's dont count as they allready have lots of work in other worlds + because of the time diff the GM's has with us its almost impossible to get help)
    3.will there be future steps to improve the security with some stronger measures that will combat hackers ?
    ( like improved lie detector/phone number and many other sugestion that have been done on the forum like -> link )

• DaxiDaxi
    Reactions: 1,800
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

When a player records a cheater and sends the video to Nexon it has to be independently verified by a GM. This makes sense because there's a chance someone would create a fake video just to get someone banned.

Has Nexon considered having a hand-picked group of players who are able to have their videos acted on as though they were taken by a GM? Obviously the hand-picked people wouldn't be able to tell anyone and the status of their account would be tied to the continued authenticity of their reports (as in, if they are found to produce fake videos they would be permanently banned themselves).

Has Nexon considered having Ad bots and similar combated by allowing certain people the ability to apply a 24 hour mute to reports? with their ability to report with a mute being tied to the continued accuracy of their 24 hour mutes.

In Runescape we are able to apply 48 hour mutes to reports (note, we can only mute people with a report, we can't just mute people for 48 hours without reporting them) when the situation calls for it, which gives enough time for Jagex to act on the report. I think something similar could be good in Maplestory.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Daxi wrote: »
    When I player records a cheater and sends the video to Nexon it has to be independently verified by a GM. This makes sense because there's a chance someone would create a fake video just to get someone banned.

Has Nexon considered having a hand-picked group of players who are able to have their videos acted on as though they were taken by a GM? Obviously the hand-picked people wouldn't be able to tell anyone and the status of their account would be tied to the continued authenticity of their reports (as in, if they are found to produce fake videos they would be permanently banned themselves).

Ad bots could also be handled by allowing certain people the ability to apply a 24 hour mute to reports, with their ability to report with a mute being tied to the continued accuracy of their 24 hour mutes.

This sounds a lot like the MWLB.
  • GeorgiaLXIXGeorgiaLXIX
    Reactions: 520
    edited October 2017

Q: Why aren't hackers permanently banned on their first ban? Being someone who has reported and gotten various hackers banned it always disheartens me when I see them back. These players know exactly what they are doing. You don't accidentally download and use hacks and they do the same thing when they are back or until they hit 250 in which they start doing it on a mule account.
    Q: How is the length of bans determined? A more direct question: why is hacking given potentially as light of a ban as 2 weeks? I have seen many players using hacks to attack the entire map, and farm nodes/elite drops only get 2-4 week bans. This length of time seems more appropriate to a macro botter (that is a bot that doesn't hack).

A: Ideally, we'd like to give an abusive player the benefit of the doubt that they had a moment of weakness when it comes to their decision making when deciding to use third party hacking tools. Also, we'd like to think that a minimum term of a two week suspension plus possible rank removal, is enough of a reason for a previously innocent player not to continue their cheating ways. Unfortunately, we understand that's often not the case, and we'll have to take a deeper look into that. Also, keep in mind that we take repeat offenses for hacking very seriously and will often institute a no-leniency stance on those accounts. At the end of the day, the lengths of the ban are based on the type of offense and frequency, and the Sr. GM is final arbiter when a decision needs to be made concerning ban leniency.

-Maple Team

Sorry if the formatting is bad, not sure how to use this forum, but quoting there, why give the automatic system the power to perma ban like that???

(its a legit curious question, im not attacking anyone and im trying to hurt you Arwoo or anything, i just find quite weird that statement when we have been getting perma bans by automated system, it is supposed to be like that?