[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nodestone (and other) drop rate - data collection

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited September 2017 in General Chat
The update notes have this cryptic line
• Some item drop rates have been adjusted.

There have been many rumors and speculation as to what that means in terms of nodestone, arcane symbol, and droplet farming.
Nexon Korea claims that the base drop rate for these things has been raised, but the effect of drop rate lines on equipment has been reduced. Some KMS players claim that even people without drop buffs have noticed a decrease in their collection rate.
The new drop rate buff formula has not been released, and people speculate that it's "like IED" in that it has heavily diminishing returns and an asymptote at 100%.
But as far as I know there is no proof, and even if there were, GMS is not required to do things exactly as KMS did.

So, I'm trying to find out some facts.

Before the patch, I had time to do some short tests. In all of them, I killed 10k Wolfruit (counted by Veteran Hunter medal challenge quest) and counted how many nodestones and arcane symbols I found. This area doesn't drop Droplets.

Test 1: No drop gear, no familiar, no coupon, no skills that give drop (such as HS) = 1 nodestone, no symbols.
Test 2: Big Spider familiar only = 2 nodestones, 2 symbols.
Test 3: 100% drop rate gear +20% equip only (Greed pendant) = 11 nodestones, 1 symbol.
Test 4: Same drop gear + 2x USE coupon = 10 nodestones, 1 symbol

All of this is in MYBCKN. (Reboot has different rates)

Sample size of 10k kills seems to not be enough, but that's all I had time for. The results of Test 3 seem disproportionately lucky.

Now that the patch has landed, I'd like to ask everyone to try doing controlled tests of how many Nodestones, Symbols, and Droplets they get per kill ("Per hour" is meaningless because some people kill way way faster than some other people), in whatever configuration of drop buffs they use.

My post-patch data:
no drop gear, buffs, or familiar: 6 nodestones, no symbols.
Big spider familiar : 5 nodestones, no symbols

Please add your data to this thread. Let's see just how much the base rate was buffed (if at all) and what the effects of drop gear and other buffs is.
NeospectorTorippi

Comments

• YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    I have run a couple tests using battle statistics and at the same time veteran hunter .

Server: Luna
    Job: Kanna

Range doesn't matter but I 1 hit all mobs.

Test 1: Slurpy Forrest (Chu Chu Island)
    Time: 6 1/2 minutes

Exp rate: Average of 10.3b exp/hr
    Kills per minute: 420 (exp calculation), 335 (veteran hunter)

Drops: 2 Nodes

Drop multipliers: Drop gear 125%, Inner 13%, Decent HS 18%
    Test 2: Chicken Farm 2 (Lacheln)
    Time: 11 minutes

Exp rate: Average of 11.8b exp/hr
    Kills per minute: 334 (exp calculation), 280 (veteran hunter)

Drops: 5 nodes

Drop multipliers: Drop gear 125%, Inner 13%, Decent HS 18%, Wolf underling (100%)

Exp is calculated as followed:

1. Exp (per sec) is converted to Exp (per hr)
    2. Exp in combat tab is counted up (only numbers before the comma): exp per kill, buff bonus exp, burning exp, zero card exp/legion exp
    3. Step 1 is divided by Step 2
    4. Step 3 is divided by 60 (--> Exp/min)
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited September 2017

Credits go to MasteringGaming. I am still in the process of testing more. Will post my own when I have finished.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    note - can't be 100% certain about symbol drop rate, cuz my inventory usually fills up lol. I'm pretty sure I got all of them, though.

At Cavern Lower Path:

Drop Buffs: 2x CS coupon, 2x Winter, 40% drop gear, Greed Pendant's 20% equip drop, DHS 15%. Not sure if/how all of this stacks.

Kills: 78,828
    Nodestones: 90
    Droplets: 7
    Symbols: 5

Drop Buffs: 2x CS coupon, 2x Winter, DHS 15%.

Kills: 21, 889
    Nodestones: 25
    Droplets: 1
    Symbols: 2

Drop Buffs: 2x CS coupon, 2x Winter

(I heard that DHS might bug nodestone stuffs, so I figured I'd do one without DHS to see if it'd fix what I was getting, but it didn't seem to be the case so I quit early on lol. just in case it's useful, here it is)

Kills: 3939
    Nodestones: 2
    Droplets: 1
    Symbols: 1
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    This is odd.

I did 3 tests, all of them killing 10k Wolfruit in Kradia.
    With no drop gear, buff, familiar, or skill, I got 6 nodestones.
    With Big Spider, I got 5 nodestones.
    With Wolf Underling, I got 4 nodestones.

Sample size is not enough to state unequivocally that familiars reduce the drop rate of nodestones, but I think I can tentatively conclude that they don't increase it as much as they should.