[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Make link skills apply to all characters

VolcharaVolchara
Reactions: 795
edited September 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
The entire link system is backwards. The arbitrary restrictions in place, simply don't need to be there.

What purpose do they serve other than to inhibit the player?

1) Why can only 1 character at a time benefit from the bonuses?
-Considering we can re-assign all link skills to any character of our choosing, this is a useless restriction.
-We can only play on one character at any given time regardless.
-This restriction is not beneficial to game-play in any way.

2) Why is there a "once per day" limit to linking the bonuses to other characters?
-Adds a waiting period to restriction 1, which makes the system even more tedious to use.
-Again, the restriction is not beneficial to game-play in any way.

My suggestion is to abolish the link system entirely and change all link skills into beginner skills that passively level up when the relevant characters reach certain levels.

"Blessing of the Fairy" and "Blessing of Cygnus" are perfect examples of how these skills can be implemented across all characters without the need for the link system.

On a separate note, "Blessing of the Fairy" and "Blessing of Cygnus", should also be adjusted so that they stack with each other.
Being rewarded, at most, with an extra +25 weapon attack for having a level 250 character is not something that needs limiting either.
SesomSlayerKlaraDeeMonLagTooMuchbootlickerSlicedTimeRollsMageOfBattlesArgent

Comments

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited September 2017
    the limitations are there to make it not be like character card/legion system.
  • VolcharaVolchara
    edited September 2017
    Would there be anything wrong with it being more like the character card/legion system?

Also, I'm pretty sure the character card system was developed and implemented AFTER the link system, so if anything, it was the character card system that was made not to be like the link system.
  • SesomSlayerSesomSlayer
    Reactions: 1,185
    edited September 2017
    I agree on making the link skills apply to ALL characters. I mean, what's the point. If you change to another character you just re-assign the link skills. And once you're done, after a day you can re-assign them back to your main.

Would be better and easier if it applies to all characters.
    VolcharaEfficientlyLazySlicedTime
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited September 2017
    Volchara wrote: »
    Would there be anything wrong with it being more like the character card/legion system?

Also, I'm pretty sure the character card system was developed and implemented AFTER the link system, so if anything, it was the character card system that was made not to be like the link system.

I was actually saying verbatim what the korean devs said for why they would not make this change.

as for if there was anything wrong with them being almost the same, i'd say that it would invalidate needing both systems and would be better to just merge one into the other. The devs want both systems to be their own seperate and distinct thing.

I would also like to remind you, link skills use to not be manageable by the manager UI. You use to have to log into each individual character and move the link to the character you wanted, the updated manager UI was made to make transferring links easier as apposed to the old way.

my only gripe with the link skill system currently is the limit of 12, which they said they would increase.
  • VolcharaVolchara
    edited September 2017
    Are they having a laugh?!

The developers actually said that these restrictions are there to differentiate it from the character card/legion system?

Why are they advocating worse user functionality as a feature of the link system, let alone a distinctive one?

That is exceptionally poor reasoning.

-The restrictions on the link system are not the only differences between the two systems.
    -Removing the restrictions on the link system does not require giving it the same features as the character card/legion system.
    -The link system is a simple system, in which you can apply bonus skills to your characters.
    -The legion system is a more complex system. It provides a large variety of stat bonuses and uses a grid + tile system for every character. There's also the boss and coin collection aspect.
    -A merge would result in skills being split across 2 completely different UI. Not all link skills are passive either.

If the aforementioned restrictions were removed from the link system, the only aspect in which it would be similar, is in providing bonuses to all characters at once.
    That is just better user functionality. Better user functionality isn't something that should be held exclusive to one system over another and it also isn't reason to continue imposing restrictions that have no place being there.

It only serves to make the user experience a lot more tedious for no meaningful gameplay benefit (e.g. balancing).

You've mentioned how the link manager was updated. I am not going to sing praises to Nexon for improving upon a poorly implemented system.
    While the updated link manager is much better than its predecessor, they are still imposing unnecessary user-side delays.
    SlicedTime
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited September 2017
    Volchara wrote: »
    Are they having a laugh?!

The developers actually said that these restrictions are there to differentiate it from the character card/legion system?

Why are they advocating worse user functionality as a feature of the link system, let alone a distinctive one?
    There are plans to increase the maximum Link Skill limit.
    Users asked if there are any plans to make it easier to move around Link Skills.

The developers replied that they do want to improve on it but if certain limits were removed, then they worry that Link Skills and Character Cards would overlap/be redundant. They are open to increasing the ‘1 per day’ limit though.

https://orangemushroom.net/2016/03/20/maplestory-user-discussion-5th-job-confirmed-for-2016/
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    It still doesn't make any more sense that you posted a link that mentions their thoughts on link skills. Infact it leads to more questions.

What do they mean the systems would overlap? Isn't that the point, to use both systems together? There is no good reason to limit link skill changes to a per day amount.

Having a limit to how often you can change the links is completely pointless. It only makes deciding to use other characters without taking away power from your main more difficult.
  • JydrokJydrok
    Reactions: 700
    edited September 2017
    whit the new legion system the current link skill system is obsolete since for you to reach the legion full potential you need to have all different jobs which at the moment are 39 (15 explorers, 7 resistances, 6 heroes, 2 sengoku, 5 cygnus, 2 novas and 1bt and zero) on gms and soon to be more on later updates.
    asking for been apply to all character might be to much since some link are active buff but removing the restriction to move the link skill for 1 day that something the could do and that way both systems keep their unique features.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited September 2017
    For now i want more to just pass freely without the 1day thing, it would make it better, honestly just that would already solve your request.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited September 2017
    They could just scrap the link system altogether and add their stats to legion cards as secondary effects.
    Argent
  • CrystalOraCrystalOra
    Reactions: 3,135
    edited September 2017
    that would make the legion so very very powerful...i like it :D
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited September 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    the limitations are there to make it not be like character card/legion system.

They can still easily remove the daily limitation to change links/add.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    They should remove the 12 link limit, there's like 25 link skills in my link manager(Assuming Cygnus and resistance don't count towards 12) and having to be forced to choose 12 is ridiculous. The 1 day limit could definitely be removed as who likes to wait 1 day just to change links to give to mules to level. If they made it share through all characters, I don't mind, most servers and private servers allow you to have your links on whole account, so I don't care if it's too "similar" to character cards.
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited September 2017
    This would be lovely.