[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

I'm gay, but apparently I'm in love with Cassandra

JPG0809JPG0809
Reactions: 500
edited September 2017 in General Chat
...according to the end of the mushking empire PQ.

It just left a bad taste in my mouth and I wondered if people felt the same way in my position.

I dislike having my character have their own voice without having a choice on what to say for the most part. It really breaks immersion and kinda gets rid of the "Your story" tag line.

(Plus, it doesn't help that you can't have same-gender marriage...)
Beever

Comments

• UnforgivennnUnforgivennn
    Reactions: 1,555
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    yea it would be cool if we can choose certain options in the dialogues
  • JPG0809JPG0809
    edited September 2017

That and apparently we're all teens or something? Could we please change that?

Chibi doesn't mean we're literal children children. I'm a man, dammit!
  • BeeverBeever
    Reactions: 870
    edited September 2017
    I feel for you. When stuff like that happens, it's almost as if saying gay people don't exist, or that someone gay couldn't possibly be playing. It's gross to say the least.
    JPG0809 wrote: »

That and apparently we're all teens or something? Could we please change that?

Chibi doesn't mean we're literal children children. I'm a man, dammit!

God, yes. I don't care for how it's a part of some classes' storylines, too. My Wild Hunter is apparently about 10 years old lmao
    JPG0809
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Beever wrote: »
    I feel for you. When stuff like that happens, it's almost as if saying gay people don't exist, or that someone gay couldn't possibly be playing. It's gross to say the least.

What happens when you do that mini-dungeon as a female character?
    What happens if your character is married?

Don't take it too seriously, it's just supposed to be humorous content. And if the humor is a bit juvenile, well, the game is supposedly intended for 13-year-olds.

I agree that many times my characters does things I would never do. Especially dumb things that get us into deep trouble and lot of fighting.
    Then again, I play a Hero. Strong and stupid is what I signed up for.
    It's role-play. It's not supposed to be about "what I would do if I found myself in this world?" but rather "what would this character do?" And apparently everyone in Maple World, regardless of species, gender, orientation, or marital status, is in love with Cassandra. Makes as much sense as the fact that nobody ever sleeps.
  • JPG0809JPG0809
    edited September 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Beever wrote: »

What happens when you do that mini-dungeon as a female character?
    What happens if your character is married?

Don't take it too seriously, it's just supposed to be humorous content. And if the humor is a bit juvenile, well, the game is supposedly intended for 13-year-olds.

I agree that many times my characters does things I would never do. Especially dumb things that get us into deep trouble and lot of fighting.
    Then again, I play a Hero. Strong and stupid is what I signed up for.
    It's role-play. It's not supposed to be about "what I would do if I found myself in this world?" but rather "what would this character do?" And apparently everyone in Maple World, regardless of species, gender, orientation, or marital status, is in love with Cassandra. Makes as much sense as the fact that nobody ever sleeps.

I'd agree with you if MS was always like this, but it just started coming out with the characters talking and the humor stuff sorta recently(around RED if I'm right).

I always felt like the Heros were characters, but the explorers and classes like them who are introduced to Maple World are extensions of ourselves. The heroes have backstories, we just popped out of a tree.

I would actually like to hear what they say when you play as a female character.
  • OdysseyTwoOdysseyTwo
    Reactions: 2,750
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    I would actually like to hear what they say when you play as a female character.

Inkwell.
    JPG0809
  • YoloYolo
    Reactions: 975
    edited September 2017
    Arwoo is gay too
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Yolo wrote: »
    Arwoo is gay too

Arwoo stated in his first ("AMA") stream that he was "not rainbow".
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited September 2017
    I'd say the mistake youre making is putting yourself in the avatar's shoes. As Ak said, it's not what you would do or say but your character.
    That's the storyline.
    SlicedTime
  • JPG0809JPG0809
    edited September 2017
    I'd say the mistake youre making is putting yourself in the avatar's shoes. As Ak said, it's not what you would do or say but your character.
    That's the storyline.

As I said also, I feel like MS(for its explorer class,at least) is pulling away from that idea you are an avatar and not a character as of recently. Also, AK was speaking in terms of the heroes which are actually characters on their own.

I don't remember anytime where my character would speak before RED and when it did come to me speaking, I had a choice on what to say.
  • JPG0809JPG0809
    edited September 2017
    OdysseyTwo wrote: »

Inkwell.
    Inkwell being Maplestory's Zaddy confirmed.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited September 2017
    That's the storyline.

As I said also, I feel like MS(for its explorer class,at least) is pulling away from that idea you are an avatar and not a character as of recently. Also, AK was speaking in terms of the heroes which are actually characters on their own.

I don't remember anytime where my character would speak before RED and when it did come to me speaking, I had a choice on what to say.

The character speaking, is relatively new, it was requested in 2016 I believe or early 2017. But to say something like "it's like gay people dont exist", is an exaggeration. It's less political than that.

Suppose they had the options to say what you want to say, or what you would say, would it change the outcome of the quest?
  • JPG0809JPG0809
    edited September 2017
    That's the storyline.

The character speaking, is relatively new, it was requested in 2016 I believe or early 2017. But to say something like "it's like gay people dont exist", is an exaggeration. It's less political than that.

Suppose they had the options to say what you want to say, or what you would say, would it change the outcome of the quest?

I'm not making a big deal about it, just something came up and had a thought to start a conversation.

I do find it weird that there was a line of text where the king goes "boy or girl, I don't care who my daughter marries" or something like that when I played through the dungeon the first time and the second time, I couldn't find where he said it. Maybe I over looked it?

Anyways, I don't thing MS is TRYING to be homophobic.

I kinda just like the feeling of being immersed in the world by pretending I'm my avatar.

• choozchooz
    Reactions: 1,815
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Literally nobody bringing up the fact THAT WAS SAID TO GET OUT OF MARRYING AN UGLY MUSHROOM PRINCESS, IT'S NOT SERIOUS, YOUR CHARACTER DOESN'T ACTUALLY LOVE ANYONE. Jesus.
  • BeeverBeever
    Reactions: 870
    edited September 2017

It's not an exaggeration that gay perspectives/POVS are seldom included in RPGs; it comes across that, to the writers (or whomever creates these kind of things for games, I don't know the terms,) gayness ~doesn't exist.~ It wasn't intentional, so what? That's how it is interpreted. It's just short-sighted to not take a non-heterosexual view into consideration.

I don't see the problem with different outcomes of quests, unless you're referring to the quest that OP was referring to. More lines in the coding, I guess?

Though...I will say, I understand Maplestory isn't exactly a RPG. It tries to be but ultimately these characters have their own stories. I'm a dweeb so I tend to love immersion and roleplaying...it's why the Dragon Age series blew my socks off.
  • JPG0809JPG0809
    edited September 2017
    chooz wrote: »
    Literally nobody bringing up the fact THAT WAS SAID TO GET OUT OF MARRYING AN UGLY MUSHROOM PRINCESS, IT'S NOT SERIOUS, YOUR CHARACTER DOESN'T ACTUALLY LOVE ANYONE. Jesus.

Someone brought up that perspective. I thought that was a neat way of interpreting it.