[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Quest lookup causes horrible performance

shavitshavit
Reactions: 1,460
edited October 2017 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Performance (very high priority)
Brief bug summary: Looting multiple items at once or killing many mobs will cause massive frame drops and lock up the client for a short time.
More details: Whenever you loot items or kill a mob, the game iterates through all the quests loaded in the game (whether if they're in progress or not) and checks if the mob you kill/item you loot is associated with that quest so it can notify you about quest progress. It applies to mesos bags too. This iteration causes bad performance as the game files contain well over 15k quests nowaday.

Edit: My bad, it's just when looting mesos bags, not other items.
Non-mesos loots will cause lag too only if your inventory is full.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Use a program that can monitor FPS. FRAPS works for this purpose as it adds an overlay to the active window.
2. Get a pet that can loot items.
3. Have over 20 mesos bags dropped by mobs.
4. Walk over them with a pet.

Character name: Irrelevant.
Character level: Irrelevant.
Character job: Irrelevant.
World name: Irrelevant.
Date and time of the incident: Irrelevant.

Comments

• tnyzngtnyzng
    Reactions: 800
    edited October 2017
    this has been happening forever
  • shavitshavit
    edited October 2017
    tnyzng wrote: »

Doesn't mean we need to stay quiet..
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    edited October 2017
    The reason it may seem as though "someone is remaining quiet here" (despite this happening "literally" since the dawn of MapleStory) is because this doesn't affect everyone or every operating system. This is very highly dependent on display memory and available RAM (as opposed to not-available). This issue can be, may be, (most likely is) amplified when running an Anti-Virus service, as well as other similar performance hogs common to the Windows environment. For starters; Press together the Windows Key + R (to open the Run window) and type services.msc ;then press Enter. ~ Scroll down the list to 'Windows Search' (indexing service). Double-click on it; Set the startup type to Disabled and click the Stop button below the status. Then click Apply (You can also access this from the Control Panel, but I prefer a more direct approach). Run the game without the indexing service and tell us if you seen any improvement in Frames Per Second (the difference should be major). ~ Also (I use Fraps too).. ~ Make sure you're not limiting (regulating) FPS when recording in Fraps ~ Set the maximum FPS to a value you will never reach; such as 500 (to prevent against capping-out/lock-up at the default of 30).
  • shavitshavit
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    The reason it may seem as though "someone is remaining quiet here" (despite this happening "literally" since the dawn of MapleStory) is because this doesn't affect everyone or every operating system. This is very highly dependent on display memory and available RAM (as opposed to not-available). This issue can be, may be, (most likely is) amplified when running an Anti-Virus service, as well as other similar performance hogs common to the Windows environment. For starters; Press together the Windows Key + R (to open the Run window) and type services.msc ;then press Enter. ~ Scroll down the list to 'Windows Search' (indexing service). Double-click on it; Set the startup type to Disabled and click the Stop button below the status. Then click Apply (You can also access this from the Control Panel, but I prefer a more direct approach). Run the game without the indexing service and tell us if you seen any improvement in Frames Per Second (the difference should be major). ~ Also (I use Fraps too).. ~ Make sure you're not limiting (regulating) FPS when recording in Fraps ~ Set the maximum FPS to a value you will never reach; such as 500 (to prevent against capping-out/lock-up at the default of 30).

I have no clue what you're on about.
    This happens to just about everyone even without any recording software and on a clean system (with only MapleStory installed) using my specs - i7 3770 CPU (3.4GHz), 16GB RAM and an R9 380 GPU with 4GB VRAM. No anti-virus solution and all of the Windows bloat is disabled on my system.
    I just used FRAPS as an example of a program that can display the FPS of running games, doesn't mean you need to record/limit with it..
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    shavit wrote: »

We haven't been quiet.
    This is one of the issues we've been harping on for many years. Not just the lag but its being caused by quests. When people started using the modified quest.wz Nexon finally took notice. But it's taking them forever. As of right now it seems that only kill-count quests and meso loot are still causing lag, but item loot has been fixed. Step by step, they'll get there.
    shavit
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited October 2017
    Now you know why I don't post on this forum, despite playing the game for nearly a decade. Most of the community (definitely not all) is incredible rude. Regardless of the software you're using to monitor your FPS, the basis of my response is to reduce memory use on your system. Starting with the indexing service. ~ Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go 'on about' playing the game without any issues to the tune of 10 times the drop load you're on about... ~ Cheers.
  • shavitshavit
    edited October 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

We haven't been quiet.
    This is one of the issues we've been harping on for many years. Not just the lag but its being caused by quests. When people started using the modified quest.wz Nexon finally took notice. But it's taking them forever. As of right now it seems that only kill-count quests and meso loot are still causing lag, but item loot has been fixed. Step by step, they'll get there.
    Gotcha, I updated the OP with the information about looting mesos bags.
    Now you know why I don't post on this forum, despite playing the game for nearly a decade. Most of the community (definitely not all) is incredible rude. Regardless of the software you're using to monitor your FPS, the basis of my response is to reduce memory use on your system. Starting with the indexing service. ~ Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go 'on about' playing the game without any issues to the tune of 10 times the drop load you're on about... ~ Cheers.
    It's CPU, not RAM. Happy Mapling :)
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    edited October 2017
    It's CPU, not RAM. Happy Mapling :)
    It's GPU not CPU. ~ Happy Mapling to you too. :expressionless:

• shavitshavit
    edited October 2017