[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Add a Loading Screen for GMS

PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
Reactions: 3,195
Member, Private Tester
edited October 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
i suggest adding a loading screen to gms, that way it won't feel like it takes 10/15 minutes just to load the game data, after selecting a world > channel.

this is a loading screen from JMS: OVMReys.png
it makes that it feels smoother, once the loading ends, and select world appears > channel , and all the game data is ready, no need to wait 10+ minutes for it to load.

also everytime when i click change character ( which currently exits to world select ) i select a world > channel > crash everytime, unless i wait full 5 mintues per character change, imagine this on 40+ characters. ( yea takes a long time, just to get in game)
  1. Should GMS have it's own loading screen ?17 votes
    1. Yes
       53% (9 votes)
    2. maybe
       24% (4 votes)
    3. No
       24% (4 votes)

Comments

• foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Yes please
    Maybe it would also solve the game crash problems.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited October 2017
    Yes please

how would a load screen solve crash problems? Wouldn't a loading screen increase the chances of crashing?
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    Yes please

how would a load screen solve crash problems? Wouldn't a loading screen increase the chances of crashing?

I think they might be referring to the crashes that occur if you skip the opening cut scene too soon.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited October 2017
    A loading screen won't make MapleStory load faster, MapleStory is already loading game data while the trailer and opening screen is playing, during the server selection screen and character selection screen and before you enter the pin (watch MapleStory memory go up in the task manager).
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited October 2017
    We have a loadscreen but it's that stupid skippable video that's been here since Red? I think it changed once for V but not since, that nexon never updates but rips audio from their update preview videos and laps over it.

Edit: Nvm the video changes after like 10 seconds in but I always skip through the video because it's always the same intro.
  • PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,195
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    i have tested this out, and while lettting the video play to it's fullest ( not skipping ) the game still takes the same time to load when i do skip the video.

A loading screen on the other hand would actually let game load the data in the background. ( i think )

so i strongly suggest that a loading screen would be put in Maple Story's client in hopes of reducing loading times ( data loading ) well it won't actually reduce the load times ( or maybe it will i don't know ), but it's nicer to at least stare at a loading screen ( the loading screen would get stale as well, but at least it has a progress bar which let's know when it's done loading) instead of watching a video for the 500th time and getting bored of it. or having to click on a character and stare at that spinning: Connecting to server, loading...

i don't know if a loading screen would actually reduce load times. but i prefer that over the same video ( it get's stale watching if for over 50 times )

I have played MapleSEA and JMS ( Japan MapleStory ), and in both versions they don't have any loading problems ( when you click on character then get that spinning loading circle ) jms currently have a loading screen, but MapleSEA removed theirs.

So i don't know, maybe the client itself needs some more cleaning or something, because it takes at least 5-10 minutes from Launching the game > actually playing in game.

*Conclusion: The video that is skippable at the start up of the game. ( Doesn't actually load the data in the background ) it may use up memory, but from my testing watching the video or skipping straight to character selection, gave me 0 differencecs.

So i don't know, maybe the client itself needs some more cleaning or something, because it takes at least 5-10 minutes from Launching the game > actually playing in game.

• MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    I don't understand where the notion that a loading screen will reduce loading times is coming from. When have loading screens done that before? All of the claims aren't backed up with any evidence. There haven't been any notable issues from the video at the start, seeing as it's skip able, I don't see what the issue is. A loading screen won't fix any of the issues that have been brought up. The game still does the same thing loading screen or not. You just have a picture with a loading bar.
    The loading bar doesn't actually do anything aside from showing progress independent OF THE LOADING BAR
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    I don't understand where the notion that a loading screen will reduce loading times is coming from. When have loading screens done that before? All of the claims aren't backed up with any evidence. There haven't been any notable issues from the video at the start, seeing as it's skip able, I don't see what the issue is. A loading screen won't fix any of the issues that have been brought up. The game still does the same thing loading screen or not. You just have a picture with a loading bar.
    The loading bar doesn't actually do anything aside from showing progress independent OF THE LOADING BAR

You could be right, I haven't really been able to get any solid info one way or the other. It may help with the crashes some people get when they skip the video early, but not letting players skip until the game is ready would do that too. If the loading screen were to help with load times, great, but I just don't know if they would.