[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Implement Voice over language changing toggle

PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
Reactions: 3,195
Member, Private Tester
edited October 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Please give us the option to choose which voice to use on classes, ie: English,Korean,Japanese etc....

some of us don't like the english voices, and prefer the japanese or korean voices etc....

please give us a toggle to choose between all the region classe's voices.

ps. in a few patches a couple more classes will get voice overs, so in a coulpe of months, even explorers could have voices and this rate.
MrCardsFera
  1. Should Nexon implement a voice over toggle ?21 votes
    1. Yes, i would love to be able to choose and not be stuck with one.
       95% (20 votes)
    2. They can just give us english and koreans, no need for more
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Nope, we don't need, who care's that the english voice, sound meh?
       5% (1 vote)

Comments

• PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Bumping this up, because we get more voice overs in the Morass update which happens on the 3rd of January.
    (GMS might even implement the voice overs before that as we get different stuff from updates)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    This would require changing the very structure of the relevant data files (and associated code data structures) to allow for more than sound per skill. It would also increase game bloat.
    I don't think it's worth it.
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited November 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    This would require changing the very structure of the relevant data files (and associated code data structures) to allow for more than sound per skill. It would also increase game bloat.

That is a good point. Lord knows we have enough bloat as it is.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited November 2017
    I would like to hear the characters in other languages other than English.
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017

With that logic we also shouldn't have any: Totems/Crusader Codex & Familiars/Any other NON KMS Content.

Because all of that also clogs up the files.

The Client size of KMS = 7 GB ( More or less maybe 7.1GB Tops )

The Client Size of GMS = 10.1 GB ( Exactly )

*That's a 3GB Size difference*

For the "To allow for more then sound per skill" part i don't get it, the skills would still only have sounds ( and voice overs for the appropriate classes ), but you would have a toggle on the settings windows to choose between different voice over languages and not only be stuck on english. ( for gms )
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017

With that logic we also shouldn't have any: Totems/Crusader Codex & Familiars/Any other NON KMS Content.

For the "To allow for more then sound per skill" part i don't get it, the skills would still only have sounds ( and voice overs for the appropriate classes ), but you would have a toggle on the settings windows to choose between different voice over languages and not only be stuck on english. ( for gms )

Let me try to explain.

Consider your local McDonald's restaurant. They have their menu of dishes appropriate to your country.
    Now you want to tell them, "I hear that in Japan, McDonald's serves sushi. I want you to carry sushi too. All it takes is letting me pick from the Japanese menu."
    Well, no, that's not all it takes. It would mean that they have to stock the ingredients for sushi in their kitchen, and they'd have to teach their workers how to make it.

That's exactly what would have to happen for the Japanese voice-overs. We'd have to store them in our client, and we'd have to teach the client where to find them, because right now the client only knows a 1:1 relationship skill->voice. You want to teach it a new relationship, skill+language->voice.

No other version of MS has mutliple sounds for the same skill (except male/female), so this would not be the same as copying Crusader Codex from Japan (which as you might have noticed, still got messed up... would you want your voices to get doubled or unsynced as soon as new patches with new skills appear?).

It would be completely original content and, in my opinion, totally not worth the effort to make and maintain.
    Then again, I'm not a weeb.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited November 2017

Let me try to explain.

Consider your local McDonald's restaurant. They have their menu of dishes appropriate to your country.
    Now you want to tell them, "I hear that in Japan, McDonald's serves sushi. I want you to carry sushi too. All it takes is letting me pick from the Japanese menu."
    Well, no, that's not all it takes. It would mean that they have to stock the ingredients for sushi in their kitchen, and they'd have to teach their workers how to make it.

That's exactly what would have to happen for the Japanese voice-overs. We'd have to store them in our client, and we'd have to teach the client where to find them, because right now the client only knows a 1:1 relationship skill->voice. You want to teach it a new relationship, skill+language->voice.

No other version of MS has mutliple sounds for the same skill (except male/female), so this would not be the same as copying Crusader Codex from Japan (which as you might have noticed, still got messed up... would you want your voices to get doubled or unsynced as soon as new patches with new skills appear?).

It would be completely original content and, in my opinion, totally not worth the effort to make and maintain.
    Then again, I'm not a weeb.

This is not an impossible task since other games have different languages such as Portal 2, etc. I know it is a lot of work changing the code so it could recognize more than 1 sound stored for each skill.

The jankiest solution to have the language selection is have them in their own tracks like how we have SFX, Music and Skills. If I wanted Japanese, I would slide English and Korean down to MUTE and pull Japanese.

But I really would like to hear characters in other languages besides English.
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Can you please look into this, i would love if i could choose in what language the voice over would be :)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    This is not an impossible task since other games have different languages such as Portal 2, etc. I know it is a lot of work changing the code so it could recognize more than 1 sound stored for each skill.

The jankiest solution to have the language selection is have them in their own tracks like how we have SFX, Music and Skills. If I wanted Japanese, I would slide English and Korean down to MUTE and pull Japanese.

But I really would like to hear characters in other languages besides English.

Other games use different data structures.

I don't think you understand the problem. It's not the UI of how you select the language. It's where to put the different language sound clips in the data, and how to make the code know where to find them. It's not impossible. It's not even hard. But it is work that is probably not worth it, and a constant headache with keeping it all synchronized every time a class gets updated.
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn't mine the extra space, I would love to choose what language the voiced characters are.
    Pleease? Oh and for MapleStory 2?
    The Korean VA for female characters is soooo cute

Please Nexon, don't give VA to Explorer, Resistance, etc.
    I understand character based jobs like Heroes, Kinesis, Cadena,..
    but not on characters designed to give US the power to make them the way we want