[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Leave Explorer's Cruel Ring alone

shad0wn1teshad0wn1te
Reactions: 1,390
Member, Private Tester
edited November 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
unknown.png

In the bug fixes section of the Nova: Liberation of Cadena patch notes, it tells us the Explorer's Cruel Ring, obtained from an event ~9 years ago, before the Big Bang Update, is being "adjusted" to be similar to more recently released event rings. As a veteran mapler, this is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

I, and many other players, worked our asses of to get that ring, back when getting from Lv. 49 - 50 took longer than getting 199 - 200 does now. This is not what we veteran mapler's deserve. The ring was hard earned, especially compared to today's event rings, and because of that, it has good stats. There is NO need to re-balance it, it is not at all overpowered as it cannot be scrolled or receive potential.

It is unlikely this will be seen before the update goes live, but in the interest of not alienating your more loyal players, I suggest the changes to Explorer's Cruel Ring are reverted, as soon as possible.
DoKingShadowParadoxNequeoSlicedTimeSherriIts2Sharp4UBooberpuppySunsetChaosAKradianRennnand 4 others.

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Just because someone complained that the new (I assume "Pivotal") rings are garbage compared to the old, doesn't mean the old ones need to become garbage as well.

That said, according to VFM Slatymate, the stat change might only be adjusting the rings for the new way critical damage is calculated, since the ring originally only gave a boost to max crit damage, not both min and max. That would be justified, strictly speaking, justified. But still, I feel, unnecessary. The ring is not tradeable, so it's probably only being used by a handful of players who haven't switched mains in 8 years. There's really no harm to the game in letting these players keep their rings, that they worked hard to earn, as a reward for loyalty.
    ShadowParadoxDoKingNequeoSlicedTimeSherriIts2Sharp4UInvulgoBooberpuppySunsetChaos2ski
  • DoKingDoKing
    Reactions: 1,455
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    As a user of the ring it saddens me that it has come down to this. The ring is exceptionally rare in this current game with very few veteran players in possession of it and all you (Nexon) are doing is making your most loyal players question whether or not it is still worth being so loyal. Up until this point I tried to play the fair game and considered the pros and cons of changes, trying to see both sides and assessing those changes in a level headed manner. But this change does rub me the wrong way.

The best rings in the game nowadays are able to be potentialed, scrolled and enhanced. In no way is the Explorers cruel ring an overpowered ring. At best, it is able to contend with the current best rings. The ring itself was a legacy item from an era where level 50 was a big achievement and as such was the reward for reaching that level in a short time period. The current event rings which offer similar bonuses (in terms of offering critical rate and critical damage) are far easier to acquire compared to this old ring. Rather than making a positive action in defence of your more loyal players, you decide to alienate them and render their efforts mute. If you (Nexon) ever wonder why players have such disdain for you (Nexon) as a company, these little (yet significant) decisions are the cause.

I will reserve my suspicions as to the motives of this change until a time I can confirm the change in game.

I hope that whoever decided to push the change reads this, and understand that actions like this will drive more players from the game. Drive more potential revenue from the game, and make more players less inclined to complete content in fear of being shafted like this.

I am against this change and suggest you reciprocate some of the loyalty offered by the players and revert this change. And one day, when a shiny, new, better ring is released players will remain inclined to pursue them of their own volition rather than feel forced to obtain them due to their equipment being rendered obsolete overnight.

Thanks,
    DeathOFKing
    ShadowParadoxNequeokymmiieeSherriSunsetChaos2ski
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Well, it's worse than we thought.
    They completely removed the Critical Damage from the ring, leaving it like this:

unknown.png

That's not "stats similar to that of other similar event rings." It's complete and utter trash.

As I wrote above, it would have made some sense to halve the critical damage, from 20% to 10%. But removing it entirely is not justified in any way, shape, or form.

This ring, as well as the Explorer's Critical Ring, which suffered the same fate in this patch, should have its critical damage restored.
    NequeoSherriSunsetChaos2ski
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited November 2017
    I just got home and heard this news. I had to look before I leaped...

Between this and the the bosses changes (among other things), I'm wondering if I should do the update installation and even give this game the undeserved login statistic.
    2skiNequeogadgetdudeSherri
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited November 2017
    20% Crit damage is a lot from one item like a ring
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited November 2017
    It's true, Explorer's Cruel Ring was not the only one affected.
    VeKlGih.png

Explorer's Critical Ring took a hit too at the same time.

Nexon may have been right that it needed in the change, but this proves how badly they blindly change things.
    SherriDoKingSunsetChaos2skiNequeo
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2017
    Just wanted to let you guys know that we hear you all on the nerf to these rings. We've forwarded the contents of this discussion to our teams and we will see where the discussions lead.
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 3,090
    edited November 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Just wanted to let you guys know that we hear you all on the nerf to these rings. We've forwarded the contents of this discussion to our teams and we will see where the discussions lead.

Good to see at least one of the poorly thought out changes in this update being flagged for reconsideration. I suppose this is easier to tackle since it is relatively minor compared to some of the other problems.
    2skiSherriSlicedTime
  • DoKingDoKing
    Reactions: 1,455
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    It saddens me to see the current state of the ring. Its a disappointment to veteran players. Hope something good comes out of the discussions. Keep us updated.

Thanks,
    DeathOFKing
    2skiNequeoSherri
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited November 2017
    @Arwoo, I just want you to know that I appreciate you, kid. You take a lot of crap on behalf of a company with a severely damaged reputation. I know you aren't the real shotcaller here, more of a mouth for Nexon...but I think you might actually be able to make a difference with enough use of that voice. That is all we really hope for here.

Now, if the company you work for will actually do more than just "listen" and actually RESPOND ACCORDINGLY with reasonable actions to stop blatantly screwing players over, effectively biting the hands that feed them, they might just stand a fighting chance of not just surviving but actually thriving once again.
    ArgentSunsetChaospandabunniesNequeoSherriSlicedTime
  • SunsetChaosSunsetChaos
    Reactions: 1,115
    edited November 2017
    WTF Nexon KR. Nexon NA, we're counting on you to revert this.... unless it's NA who did this?
    Already been nerfed once with that 1% instant death chance gone. Critical damage is literally the only reason I've kept the ring for all these years.
    Nequeo
  • 2ski2ski
    Reactions: 520
    edited November 2017
    As a veteran player of 12 years and an owner of an Explorer’s Critical Ring, I am done with this game unless these rings are restored to their previous states.
    Nequeo
  • NequeoNequeo
    Reactions: 1,000
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    as a veteran player owning and using these rings, i am also very disappointed in how they have changed these rings
  • MesosMesos
    Reactions: 660
    edited November 2017
    BPhlf1k.png
  • SunsetChaosSunsetChaos
    edited December 2017
    While we're at it, what about the Growing Sylph Ring? The critical damage version. I think it got reduced to 5%.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    While we're at it, what about the Growing Sylph Ring? The critical damage version. I think it got reduced to 5%.

It got reduced back when Nexon changed the way critical damage is calculated.
    Before that change, there were separate "Minimum Critical Damage" and "Maximum Critical Damage" and the crit damage added to any hit was a random number between the two. Different skills and items (like the Sylph Ring) would raise either the min or the max, with the effect that the actual average damage only went up by half that much.
    After the change, we only have a single "Critical Damage" number, so all items and skills that used to give min or max crit were changed to give half as much plain crit damage. So the average does not change.
    The Explorer's Critical and Cruel rings were overlooked back then, which is why it makes some sense that their critical damage would be halved now.

However, I'd like to point out that these rings were actually a lot more overpowered back when they were released, and yet Nexon saw fit to give them.

The rings were given in June of 2010, before potential. Items giving % buffs were uncommon. An item like Lilin's Ring, giving 3 allstat and 3 att/m.att, was considered sufficient motivation to level an Aran to 70. And yet, this Explorer Ring event gave 3 variations of the crit ring (Cruel, Critical, and Magical), with 10-20% max crit damage each. These rings were meant to be a very powerful reward for a very difficult challenge.

Today, crit damage is a lot easier to come by, and the rings competing for a spot on our fingers can all have high %stat potential, as well as plenty of stats/attack if scrolled and enhanced. The old Cruel ring, while still respectable, is not nearly so OP as to need nerfing. And as I wrote before, so few people still have theirs on their main character, that it would not harm the game in any way to let us keep them with the 20% crit damage.

----

On Friday's stream, Arwoo said that, in response to our feedback, a change is being made to the rings. He did not say what change or when we will see it, but it's still good to hear that the rings won't be left in their current scrap metal state.
    2skiSherriDoKingSunsetChaos
  • SunsetChaosSunsetChaos
    edited December 2017
    Well they updated the stats. Thoughts? Still worth using now?
    I don't think critical ring is worth it for me at least since I don't need anymore crit chance.