[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Reconsider the In-game name Cooldown

Comments

• DaxiDaxi
    Reactions: 1,800
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    The introduction of the name cooldown surprised us as well and because of this, it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes.
    First and foremost, we sincerely apologize for this oversight and now it comes down to us and the community delivering feedback in regards to this cooldown.

From reading through the posts in this thread, I can see that Maplers hate it.
    However, it was informed that this system was introduced to discourage individuals from mass storing names to either sell or prevent others from using.

It's a given that everyone wants the best names to themselves, but do you guys feel that this may help the overall fairness of name distribution? Or is it preferred to retain the first come first server name save basis?

Not letting us use our own names on our accounts is a different issue though, when we delete a character on our accounts we should be able to reuse the name on that same account. The cooldown to use a name on a different account doesn't bother me personally, it's not being able to use my own saved name on my own account that's so frustrating.

People don't always save "rare" names either. For example, I use the other servers to save Daxi<#>, so I can get my 250's in number order. With this update I've been unable to name my next 250 Daxi<#>, I believe I have more claim to Daxi6 (for example) then anyone else and I don't think I should have to compete with other people for the name I've already saved. :(

My ticket reply about the issue for those interested:
    Hello Daxi,

Thank you for contacting Nexon America Support.

I understand how frustrating it is since you are unable to use the name you reserved. Our game team is currently looking into this report and they are doing their best to find the cause of it to be able to fix this circumstance. Your patience and understanding is highly appreciated. Thank you for understanding.

If you'll have other concerns you can always contact us again and we'll be more than willing to help you.
    Sincerely,

GM Qilltana
    Nexon America Inc.

Security Tip: Please do not give your password to anyone for
    any reason. Nexon America representatives will NEVER ask you for your password.
    PetalmagicMageOfBattles
  • PawsaruPawsaru
    Reactions: 740
    edited November 2017
    Daxi wrote: »
    The introduction of the name cooldown surprised us as well and because of this, it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes.
    First and foremost, we sincerely apologize for this oversight and now it comes down to us and the community delivering feedback in regards to this cooldown.

However, it was informed that this system was introduced to discourage individuals from mass storing names to either sell or prevent others from using.

It's a given that everyone wants the best names to themselves, but do you guys feel that this may help the overall fairness of name distribution? Or is it preferred to retain the first come first server name save basis?

Not letting us use our own names on our accounts is a different issue though, when we delete a character on our accounts we should be able to reuse the name on that same account. The cooldown to use a name on a different account doesn't bother me personally, it's not being able to use my own saved name on my own account that's so frustrating.

People don't always save "rare" names either. For example, I use the other servers to save Daxi<#>, so I can get my 250's in number order. With this update I've been unable to name my next 250 Daxi<#>, I believe I have more claim to Daxi6 (for example) then anyone else and I don't think I should have to compete with other people for the name I've already saved. :(

My ticket reply about the issue for those interested:
    Hello Daxi,

Thank you for contacting Nexon America Support.

I understand how frustrating it is since you are unable to use the name you reserved. Our game team is currently looking into this report and they are doing their best to find the cause of it to be able to fix this circumstance. Your patience and understanding is highly appreciated. Thank you for understanding.

If you'll have other concerns you can always contact us again and we'll be more than willing to help you.
    Sincerely,

GM Qilltana
    Nexon America Inc.

Security Tip: Please do not give your password to anyone for
    any reason. Nexon America representatives will NEVER ask you for your password.

Here is one even better :D the GM just told me it was a mistake on their part look at the image:
    Untitled.png
  • EnvoEnvo
    Reactions: 440
    edited November 2017

Arwoo, thank you for joining the discussion.

First, I'd like to ask you something; you said, in your post, that the name cooldown feature has surprised you as well. I'm assuming you are referring to the Nexon America dev and community teams, is that correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case, it brings up a very important issue players are having with Nexon these days - how is it, that the team implementing patches and updates, is not aware of what they are implementing? This is truly controversial to us.

Second, to answer your question: I believe the player consensus is to allow the first-come, first-serve system for name selection.
    ArgentRaindewMageOfBattlesRennn
  • HeweyHewey
    edited November 2017
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Agreed. But this whole patch is a disaster...

they got the skill buffs right. My phantom has 95% final damage with cross surge now. + final cut goes beyond 100%

shhhhhh keep it down, you dont want the nerf now do you?
  • HeweyHewey
    edited November 2017

i can see absolutely no reason why this would discourage people to store name, as the person who deleted the name is the only one who knows what it is and when it is able to be used again
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    They have a feature somewhat like this in other games.

For example, in one game when you delete a character the name is locked for some duration of time so that no one can steal it. The exception is that the account which deleted it can use the name again immediately.

This would only prevent name selling, which in my opinion is the only problem worth solving.

Name hoarding is fine with me, but others may prefer this to dealt with.
    Hewey
  • Games_Of_ChanceGames_Of_Chance
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2017

There's a huge issue with this because if you put the character name on the wrong class, you have to wait another 24hours + random amount of time after deleting the character to change it to the actual class. I do believe that people that people horde too many unused IGNs, but maybe a system of lvl 1-10 untouched characters get dumped every 6 months or so. Unfortunately for overall fairness, it seems instant release of the name is fairer.

There is also the threat of RWT. If a player has their IGN sniped, the frustration grows and will probably return to RWT for another username.
  • SumiSumi
    Reactions: 1,840
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    i mean i get that there is a difference between people storing names to sell them and people storing names to use on future classes. i had names ready for cadena and illium the moment i knew about them. and now i lost the ones i had ready.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2017
    Sumi wrote: »
    i mean i get that there is a difference between people storing names to sell them and people storing names to use on future classes. i had names ready for cadena and illium the moment i knew about them. and now i lost the ones i had ready.

Same here. I deleted my Illium name mule because of the dumb cooldown.
  • BlissfulBlissful
    Reactions: 875
    edited November 2017

I think it was a poor oversight that this change was implemented despite never being mentioned in the patch notes, and also there is a name-change event going on. How do they expect people to participate in the event if our reserved IGNs are unusable? On top of that, this all happened when new classes are coming out.

I think the system isn't fair for those who had their own names reserved for themselves. I do not intend to sell, but this gives a huge disservice to legit players due to abusers of the system. I just want to reuse an IGN within my own account, and that is no longer viable.

IGNs are personal, and well-thought out for many individuals. We take a lot of time and care into thinking of an IGN, and we use MapleStory to store it for future use. Many times, I am sure people just go, "Oh, this would be a great IGN (maybe even to a specific upcoming class). Let me save it, so I can use it in the future!"

Also, this system is ridiculously vague. It honestly did not occur to me that this would be a way to combat RMT, and it felt like a system that did not make sense to a legitimate player.

At the moment, I am currently awaiting a response from my ticket. I am missing out on time to participate with the new events going on, simply because I cannot create my Cadena with the IGN I wish to have on her.

A solution to this could either be:
    • Get rid of the system all together, because it does not fit with GMS's culture.
    • Have the CD be set outside of the account, and have people use names they saved inside their own accounts whenever they want.
    SumiPetalmagic
  • SumiSumi
    Reactions: 1,840
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Would be nice if this does gets fixed sorta soon tho. So i can use the name i intended for my cadena. I know there is an investigation going about the issue and a team is on it. But this is taking away the fun of my cadena... How weird that might sound. Just dont feel like making one w/o the name i wanted just to name change it to what i wanted it to be in the future.... Just want to start WITH the nameni wanted
    Petalmagic
  • ChristmasChristmas
    Reactions: 1,130
    edited November 2017
    Most names that people want are already taken. This just makes it frustrating for creation of new characters
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited November 2017
    Sumi wrote: »
    Would be nice if this does gets fixed sorta soon tho. So i can use the name i intended for my cadena. I know there is an investigation going about the issue and a team is on it. But this is taking away the fun of my cadena... How weird that might sound. Just dont feel like making one w/o the name i wanted just to name change it to what i wanted it to be in the future.... Just want to start WITH the nameni wanted

Yeah....I would accept an emergency maint to fix this. @Arwoo
  • AvarisAvaris
    Reactions: 480
    edited November 2017
    This is a real shame, I had quite a few really good 4 letter names that I'd probably end up losing with this system in place. Really kills my excitement for the new classes. I never imagined the game would get to the point where I can't even enjoy a character on release because I have to wait more than 24 hours to simply have a chance at getting an IGN that was prepared beforehand.
    PetalmagicSherriSumi
  • ZomgNitZomgNit
    Reactions: 1,266
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    The cooldown is really frustrating and screws over anyone / everyone who wants to use an ign they've saved for a new character. I get that Nexon doesn't want people selling IGN's but this is such an absurd way to combat that, as it hurts the entire playerbase for minimal gain on their part.
    Games_Of_Chance
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2017
    Envo wrote: »

First, I'd like to ask you something; you said, in your post, that the name cooldown feature has surprised you as well. I'm assuming you are referring to the Nexon America dev and community teams, is that correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case, it brings up a very important issue players are having with Nexon these days - how is it, that the team implementing patches and updates, is not aware of what they are implementing? This is truly controversial to us.

Second, to answer your question: I believe the player consensus is to allow the first-come, first-serve system for name selection.

You're correct in stating that the change surprised our team. Unfortunately, there is no excuse that I can provide for this oversight. Often times, these are the results of miscommunication from our internal teams on the contents of the patch. However, no side or individual is to blame as accountability is a shared responsibility.
    SherriPetalmagic
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited November 2017
    Envo wrote: »

You're correct in stating that the change surprised our team. Unfortunately, there is no excuse that I can provide for this oversight. Often times, these are the results of miscommunication from our internal teams on the contents of the patch. However, no side or individual is to blame as accountability is a shared responsibility.

Will it be fixed soon...? I hope you can see how much we don't like this change...
    Games_Of_ChanceRaindew
  • GreigaBeastDSGreigaBeastDS
    Reactions: 1,190
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    I'm praying the IGN I saved for months and deleted yesterday I can get back on Ilium day or there goes me playing one.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited November 2017
    Will it be fixed soon...? I hope you can see how much we don't like this change...

Through the power of observation, we can clearly see that the change is not liked.
    ChristmasCriscoTrollTerrorFace
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited November 2017

Through the power of observation, we can clearly see that the change is not liked.

The typo quote...buuuut I will be fin with unscheduled maint honestly. Better than waiting for who knows how long for an ign.
    Sumi