[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon, this is unacceptable

ArlongArlong
Reactions: 4,645
edited December 2017 in General Chat
The lag in this game is unbearable. I know you know it exists because it was mentioned to your face in person in that q&a. Countless people have made complaints about the loot lag that has been going on for over a year. Players have already identified the cause and I think some have even given suggestions. I've even seen youtube videos of people who edited some program to make the lag go away. Not something I would resort to, but that shows just how bad this issue is that people are resorting to editing the game themselves to make it work properly. It should not take this long to fix a major problem like this. I have already done everything I could on my end. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, turned off my computer and back on, scanned my computer, checked my internet speed. Nothing is wrong on my end and my pc is more than capable of running this game. I don't know anything about coding but I understand it is difficult and so many things can go wrong. But this has taken too long for such a huge problem. It cannot be this difficult to fix a problem. You're not taking this issue as serious as it should be taken.

For the past year this lag has prevented me from doing the daily kritias quests because the lag made the killing take way too much time and killing too fast would result in dc. My server is too dead for any invasions to be successful so I've been patiently doing the dailies, getting 1 stone a day, until I could afford the tyrant gloves for 400 stones. I would have the glove now had it not been for this lag. The lag has prevented me from doing certain bosses that require a smooth connection such as magnus and hellux. I've taken a few hiatuses in the past year because this lag made me lose interest in this game. I'm not saying this because I want a compensation, I don't want one, I just want the issue fixed. I'm explaining what has been some of the consequences this lag has resulted in.

A few old souls might remember a major exploit after the red update where many people had to be hell banned in order for nexon to investigate whether certain people were involved in it. I was one of the unlucky innocent players that got hellbanned and I believe it lasted 3 weeks. I was compensated generously but frankly I didn't need to be because I understand that it had to happen for cheaters to be caught and punished. I bring this up because I can be very patient, but my patience on this issue is running thin.

We've seen that you are more than capable of fixing issues very quickly. Just recently you fixed the burning exploit and rightly so. When major exploits and major problems in the game arise, you take the game down and dedicate every possible resource to fixing it as soon as possible. And despite many players giving you flak for all the maintenances, I was always glad because I knew you were doing it to fix a major problem and that was a good thing. This lag should be treated as such. This should be at the top of your priority, not when the next cube sale will be, not fixing minor bugs, but fixing this lag. This is legitimately game breaking, I already took extended leaves because of this and am more than capable of doing so again, perhaps indefinitely. I know many people have already quit because of this very issue.
ToymakerSherriSlicedTimeAnEpicPlayerPirateIzzyfoussiremixIvangoldRenniMainlyUselessMisterPENGUINand 2 others.

Comments

• foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    I literally can't progress in Vj because of the lag.
    If people can fix the lag themselves than why can't THEY do it.
    I am really quaking
  • tnyzngtnyzng
    Reactions: 800
    edited December 2017
    :s
  • kthxkthx
    Reactions: 320
    edited December 2017
    So... the real question is ... Sure seriously don't believe the reason for the 'lag' is due to something on your side? Na sometimes I forget you have perfect stuff so not like your internet should be having problems, node problem or someone downloading a bunch of stuff or streaming something...

Fact that you got so much bloatware on your computer that causes your computer to have resource usage which can trigger a lag spike na none of that could happen with your computer right? cause it's like $2,000 computer so no way your computer could ever have any problems like that.

Now that's not to say the servers for the game due get a bit laggy, which is another reason why a world merge is another bad idea because it will put more stress on the server hosting the game...

Also depending on how far away from the game servers you're in the world will have an impacted on the in-game play... also using a VPN or tunneling can have these problems as well...

Just because a bunch of other people say they have lag doesn't mean that they two don't have the same reason you lag, stuff running in the background of your computer, network traffic on the internet you're using ect...

People always gonna blame problems on everyone else rather then having solid proof that the reason for their lag was a nexon server related problem... Just because 10-20 people say the samething doesn't mean anything either show facts and proof that can prove without a shadow of a doubt that lag is a server related problem.

Also I do wanna say MapleStory isn't optimized really good to work with a modern computer, the images if I'm not mistaken are like BMP images which are freaking huge some in the 10mb or higher size, that and the fact that people casting skills near players can spike up everyone's CPU that's near people using skills I could sit here naming many reasons why you and others could be having the lag problems... Let's just say I rarely lag unless it's 2x and their are a lot of people on or tons of drops on the ground that my pets try to pick up for me the lag isn't that bad at all... Rarely do I face any server lag problems..
  • ArlongArlong
    edited December 2017
    Yes, the lag just all of a sudden happened to a huge amount of people after a certain update last year in October. Yes, I'm sure all of us on the exact day bloated our computers and simultaneously downloaded a whole bunch of stuff and got internet problems. All on the same day. How far away I am is irrelevant. The game didn't lag before, it lags now. My location hasn't changed. My router and pc has remained in the same spot, so no tunnel. I'm using about 200 GB out of a TB on my pc, yes I'm sure it's very bloated. My server lost a whole bunch of people from the world leap so if anything the lag should have lessened, it hasn't. I have never used a vpn. We do have solid proof that this is an issue on nexon's end because nexon themselves have acknowledged it. I'm aware that there are people that don't experience this lag, I've mentioned that in other threads. Just because you don't have this problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist for many other people. Know a little about what you are talking about before using whatever opportunity you can to act like a smartass.
    MainlyUseless
  • SelvNNASelvNNA
    Reactions: 400
    edited December 2017
    I do remember the horrible server lag issues from... Last year, I believe it was. Where you couldn't go more than thirty minutes without a disconnect, loot was impossible to pick up, and I believe the "disconnected for hack reason" issue was running rampant. I will admit, those issues did make me put the game down for some time after. The inability to pick up any amount of item whatsoever was infuriating, not to mention the fact that it seemed, at the time, nothing was being done about it. However, since I've come back, I haven't noticed any lag that I've been aware of. Sure, I've had my share of random disconnects that left me staring at the screen dumbfounded, or the usual lag that I've always experienced due to too many damage numbers showing on screen at once. Other than that though, I can't say I've had any issues with any kind of loot related lag. As much as I absolutely hate to point the finger, because goodness knows the same response has been thrown at everyone, including myself, more than enough times, the issue may in fact be on your end. I haven't really noticed anyone else even mention lag of any kind as of late, and from my experiences in the past, that was impossible to get away from when it was happening to everyone. I'm not saying my personal experience is standard for everyone though. Just saying that, personally, I haven't seen or encountered anything out of the ordinary lag-wise.
  • ArlongArlong
    edited December 2017
    My entire first paragraph was dedicated to explaining how I took every measure I could to make sure that this wasn't a problem on my end. Again, just because it isn't happening to you doesn't mean it's not a problem on nexon's end that's affecting other people. Back when event hall lag was rampant I wasn't experiencing that lag but many others were. The issue was not on the players' end. Again, this very issue was mentioned to nexon's face at an in person maplestory event, recently I might add, by zerobydivide. Nexon has acknowledged this issue. This is not on my end.
  • lodwyvernlodwyvern
    Reactions: 1,960
    edited December 2017
    Loot lag is on the list of many things being “discussed” by Nexon.
  • lodwyvernlodwyvern
    Reactions: 1,960
    edited December 2017
    Also while I would like to see loot lag be fixed, I think safety for legitimate players should be among the top priorities. It’s going on a month that players have been falsely banned without any actual response from Nexon.
    SelvNNASherriRennnSlicedTime
  • DankNugsDankNugs
    Reactions: 770
    edited December 2017
    kthx wrote: »
    So... the real question is ... Sure seriously don't believe the reason for the 'lag' is due to something on your side? Na sometimes I forget you have perfect stuff so not like your internet should be having problems, node problem or someone downloading a bunch of stuff or streaming something...

Fact that you got so much bloatware on your computer that causes your computer to have resource usage which can trigger a lag spike na none of that could happen with your computer right? cause it's like $2,000 computer so no way your computer could ever have any problems like that.

Now that's not to say the servers for the game due get a bit laggy, which is another reason why a world merge is another bad idea because it will put more stress on the server hosting the game...

Also depending on how far away from the game servers you're in the world will have an impacted on the in-game play... also using a VPN or tunneling can have these problems as well...

Just because a bunch of other people say they have lag doesn't mean that they two don't have the same reason you lag, stuff running in the background of your computer, network traffic on the internet you're using ect...

People always gonna blame problems on everyone else rather then having solid proof that the reason for their lag was a nexon server related problem... Just because 10-20 people say the samething doesn't mean anything either show facts and proof that can prove without a shadow of a doubt that lag is a server related problem.

Also I do wanna say MapleStory isn't optimized really good to work with a modern computer, the images if I'm not mistaken are like BMP images which are freaking huge some in the 10mb or higher size, that and the fact that people casting skills near players can spike up everyone's CPU that's near people using skills I could sit here naming many reasons why you and others could be having the lag problems... Let's just say I rarely lag unless it's 2x and their are a lot of people on or tons of drops on the ground that my pets try to pick up for me the lag isn't that bad at all... Rarely do I face any server lag problems..

That was the most self absorbed, cringe comment I've read in a long time. Stay in moms basement because no one is ever gonna like you outside of it. LOL.
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited December 2017
    Agreed, this lag has got to go. I've been lagging/disconnecting in various ways ever since I started to play this game.
    However, compared to years ago, it's only gotten much worse.

My whole story if anybody cares;
    Disconnecting
    - I disconnect for no reason whatsoever. Like, I could be traveling somewhere, doing a quest, training, or even just standing there.. and I d/c.
    I've noticed it happening more on my Illium and sometimes my Blaze Wizard. I join the game again fine but just annoyed.

- I tend to disconnect from Legion raid. If I stay for too long, it kicks me off so I usually run in, get my coins and run out. I can't play or else I'll d/c!

Booting Up MapleStory
    - This is what I have the most issue with; actually booting up the dam game.
    - It takes me a while to load the client itself. I have to wait for it to boot up, click past the video (hoping I don't crash there), select NA region and then I have to wait a minute on the title screen.

- Let's say I don't and I try and join my server right away. (Even though it's still possible for me to suffer these issues, just less likely if I stare at the screen for a minute)
    Multiple issues can happen;

A. It takes a LONG time to join and even longer to load my character data (but I successfully entered the game!)
    B. It crashes when I try and select a world and I have to redo the whole vicious cycle of starting the game again.
    C. The game says that I'm having 'an issue logging in' and I have to reset my client.
    D. The game says that I am already logged in and forces me to quit the game and boot it up again.
    (Usually happens if I reset the client once already)
    E. One time, even after waiting, I decided to check my other worlds and I crashed from THAT!

Lag
    This the most confusing part for me and you'll see why.
    - If a map is full of people on Channel 1 and I try to join.. hardly any issue. I lag at first due to the game loading, but everything is okay afterwards. I can join and play that 100 people bingo just fine! It only lags when loading in, but I'm fine afterwards!

- Let's say I'm on Channel 18 (where I usually am). I go here to AVOID lag because of less population, not to mention GRAZED isn't as populated as it used to be. You'd never guess what happens; LAG! I get these HUGE lag spikes if I get multi-KOs, use certain skills or if I try to enter a new map. I don't always have this issue but when I do, it stays there. It doesn't stop no matter what.

- This is the main reason why I've been having issues leveling up (other than having no friends to help me grind), especially on my Cadena.
    If this happens when I'm training on her, I have to stop and find a place to stop or else I will die. Cadena is extremely squishy and if I get hit twice at Twilight Perion's Swollen Stumps, I die. Soooo she's gonna be a tough one to level up.
    lodwyvernMainlyUseless
  • ArlongArlong
    edited December 2017
    oh I forgot about that, you're right the false bans is also a top priority. I think that should actually take precedence. But this is a close second on the biggest issues in the game. They said back end improvements were made to improve server stability to todays maintenance like they say in half of the them but the lag is still there.
    SherriMainlyUseless
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited December 2017
    lag has been the only consistent thing in maplestory

it seems like with the newer content added, they dont allocate or adjust the server to match larger updates
    MainlyUselesssaladsenpaii
  • RennnRennn
    Reactions: 1,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017

Weird, FFXIV runs buttery smooth on the Mac client (which is said to be crappier than the Windows variant) but for some reason, I still get massive frame drops looting a stack of mesos in this 2D mushroom game. I'm sure it's because of the non-existent bloatware I have on my computer, not the unoptimized quest code coded by the original programmer who thought was a good idea to have our computers run through a gigantic list of quests for EVERY meso bag picked up.
    SherriMainlyUseless
  • LadysioLadysio
    Reactions: 1,725
    edited December 2017
    Rennn wrote: »

Weird, FFXIV runs buttery smooth on the Mac client (which is said to be crappier than the Windows variant) but for some reason, I still get massive frame drops looting a stack of mesos in this 2D mushroom game. I'm sure it's because of the non-existent bloatware I have on my computer, not the unoptimized quest code coded by the original programmer who thought was a good idea to have our computers run through a gigantic list of quests for EVERY meso bag picked up.

Now now lets not compare a triple A mmorpg that has a customer support number that lets you talk to a human, to a f2p mmorpg that uses bots to search/ban people.

All jokes aside I learned long LONG ago that if ffxiv can run on a 1.3ghz apu pc with 4gb free ram then that game is a fine tuned machine.

Maplestory on the other hand is like the lemon man from adventure time you dont know what will set it off or make it ban you or just out right break.
    CatoooloooSherri
  • RennnRennn
    Reactions: 1,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    Ladysio wrote: »
    Rennn wrote: »

Now now lets not compare a triple A mmorpg that has a customer support number that lets you talk to a human, to a f2p mmorpg that uses bots to search/ban people.

All jokes aside I learned long LONG ago that if ffxiv can run on a 1.3ghz apu pc with 4gb free ram then that game is a fine tuned machine.

Maplestory on the other hand is like the lemon man from adventure time you dont know what will set it off or make it ban you or just out right break.

Oh snap, I'm expecting too much out of Nexon here. My bad. A game company not making sure that their game is playable to the masses though.... :thinking:
    saladsenpaii
  • DauntlessAhriDauntlessAhri
    Reactions: 910
    edited December 2017
    Why doesn't nexon just sell the game to a better company that would actually listen to our complaints? Instead of pretending to help us, fix your spaghetti code
    Lilyflowersaladsenpaii
  • ArlongArlong
    edited December 2017
    I'm not on the whole 'nexon is so incompetent and doesn't listen to us' boat. They do listen to us and I'm sure at least 1 nexon employee has looked at this thread as well as other complaints. For contract reasons they probably aren't allowed to comment on a lot of things which is why the community seems ignored. And they actually are fairly competent in fixing issues. The problem is not that they don't listen it's that they don't prioritize issues like this. They don't think of this over 1 year ongoing game breaking issue to be as important as say bringing in new updates. I said this before and I'm sure a lot of people agree with me. I don't care about new updates or events if I can't even play the game. Optimal gameplay comes first before any new content. Fix the game, then bring in new content
    ToymakerMisterPENGUIN
  • DauntlessAhriDauntlessAhri
    Reactions: 910
    edited December 2017
    Yes I would rather have them fix up all the instability with the servers and in game bugs rather than introduce new content every few months but that isn't enough
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited December 2017
    Has the lag been substantially worse with the recent Nova updates? Could you provide some specific examples if this is the case?
  • AnEpicPlayerAnEpicPlayer
    Reactions: 790
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    scholar624 wrote: »
    Has the lag been substantially worse with the recent Nova updates? Could you provide some specific examples if this is the case?
    *Cough* Cryojet, Card Bags, Dragon Pop Energy, etc...