[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Marksman + Arrow Splintering

AznboiEAznboiE
Reactions: 3,445
edited January 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
One thing I kind of had in mind that Marksman would have as a utility is the ability to have their arrows fracture upon impact creating splash damage to nearby monsters in the form of arrows breaking up into "smaller arrows" or splinters if you will, into enemies.

I know they have that new V skill but it's not quite as appealing to me as it would to have smaller arrows break off in multiple directions after hitting a monster. (One thing I'm not fond of is having a single bolt do multiple lines just to make one of their passives seemingly more useful, which is how KMS decided to "buff" marksman without visually making them seem more powerful by adding more hits while lowering the overall damage done per hit.) Plus it's locked up until 5th job.

What I liked most about marksman was their Explosive bolt skill, which I wished more of Marksman's skills were based on but without the weird angels that Explosive Bolt breaks into (like you can hit a monster and one of the splits would come back towards you to hit a nearby monster above/below you.)
Like imagine Piercing arrow having the arrow break up into smaller pieces as it hits more monsters, increasing total monsters hit with only a slight decrease in damage per arrow after the pierce.
First pierce hits 1 enemy> Break into 2 arrows > hit 2 enemies > break into 4 arrows > hit 4 more enemies > break into 8 > hit 8 more enemies and the AoE would increase in a cone shape, which would visually be really cool to see, especially since it fits the maximum of 15 enemies hit criteria that Nexon had placed.

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited January 2018
    What would be the purpose of the 5th job skill if this would happen?
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    edited January 2018
    What would be the purpose of the 5th job skill if this would happen?

Collateral/extra damage?

^That's a joke but since it's hard to come up with skills for archer classes without treading into another bowman's skill pool it might be repurposed into a skill that significantly enhances the arrows splintering to be in a "powered up" like Raging Blow being bigger when enraged? So bigger arrow splinters, I guess. Truthfully I dislike that skill and I can't really tell you a serious alternative without making it sound goofy. But what can be done to my suggestion is to use it to replace Final Attack, which is fine because I think having a visual final attack would be better than a random line hitting the target.
    edited January 2018
    My suggestion would be to make a 5th job version of their old skill Arrow Eruption, just like Bowmaster got their old Arrow Rain/ Storm of Arrows.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    edited January 2018
    Would it be reasonable/effective to have it's effect activate when Marksman is touched with their Aggressive Resistance up? Like if Marksman takes damage x number of times eventually it would cause the shield to "break" into a wall of magic arrows that shoot outwards in all directions like the fire dude when the guys shot at him from MGSV? Their shield has no cooldown but there can be a cooldown of like 30 seconds between each activation + a minimum touch damage requirement of at least 5-10 times before it can activate, which of course ignores the effects of Damage Reflection so you don't accidentally KO yourself. The enemies hit will be knocked back (if possible) to the max distance you can hit which is good for training to get enemies to the best distance or moving movable bosses away to where you want them to be.

(Skip to 49:58)

It's not anything like the old Arrow Eruption because the eruption comes vertically and comes from the player rather than a usable skill, but if
    done like this, they can just recycle the current animation for Arrow Split and it's less work.
    edited January 2018
    I would say it's a nice idea, but how many hits would it take to proc it?
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    edited January 2018

At least 5, it wouldn't have a % to activate it's a guaranteed activation so long as </=30 seconds (anywhere higher as a cooldown then why put it in your skill list?) pass. Not attacking would remove the current shield though and that would reset the number of hits taken to charge the 5 hit requirement.
    edited January 2018
    AznboiE wrote: »

At least 5, it wouldn't have a % to activate it's a guaranteed activation so long as </=30 seconds (anywhere higher as a cooldown then why put it in your skill list?) pass. Not attacking would remove the current shield though and that would reset the number of hits taken to charge the 5 hit requirement.

alright, sounds good, making it more balanced as it goes