[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon needs to stop decieving kids for money.

BlueIndigoBlueIndigo
Reactions: 730
edited December 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
No one seems to care about maple's graphics since there has been no responses to my previous post .Well, this leads me to infer that most maplestory players are still in the old era of gaming and playing on small screen laptops. I dont have any fancy gaming equipment you might expect me to have, but I am sure that the normal standard for monitor screens that even schools have is 1080p.

I first played this game in 2010 with a barely working computer and now I come back in 2017 dissapointed that nexon only supports laptop users.

I know people will disagree that the graphics are bad because of all the fancy skills and cash items nexon makes, but you cannot neglect the fact that lower resolutions make the color of maps so grainy and out of color. Especially since, some maps are so small that they are as small as a portable device screen. I doubt anyone else complains any major screen issues like me because I can assure that the people who keep on backing that maple is still a good game is only from the old players stuck with bad pcs.

In a conclusion, players invest their money and time ingame for worthwhile changes in their gameplay.Nexon should stop decieving kids of 2017 with bad pcs to buy cash items that took a few seconds to make on ms paint. I value the quality of the game over the quantity of anything nexon adds in maplestory. I dont care if nexon makes a bunch of cash clothing if the graphics are going to look so small and grainy.

Its time for nexon to wake up. The fact is that maple is losing popularity and not because of the community(even though its dead), nor the gameplay, but because of graphics. I can assure that if you ask a bunch of new players to try maplestory they are going to say that the graphics are outdated and they wouldnt play.

I beg you to please respond of your opinions on maplestory's current state.
  1. Should nexon stop decieving kids to spend their lifesavings on cash items?12 votes
    1. Yes, I bet that I can easily code and draw any cash items nexon makes for kids.
       33% (4 votes)
    2. No, the graphics are beautiful. and I enjoy throwing money away.
       67% (8 votes)

Comments

• foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    Did you know that lowering the graphics makes the game slower.
    I think they should make the game stable before doing that.
    Hell I lag in arcane river even though I am over the minimum needed
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2017
    i agree
    the game/server allready strugle on current settings
    higher graphics and all that will kill the game
    they should focus on optimize what we have then improve
    LookitsaNagi
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited December 2017
    Aside from the fallacies, the essence of the post is true. Less NX covers and focus a bit more on stability. At least for an update/patch/maintenance
    SlicedTime
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    While you are right that there's a problem with how tiny the game elements look in windowed mode on high-resolution screens, I'd hardly label it "deceiving kids for money". Anyone buying NX clothes is already playing MapleStory and can see exactly how small it looks. What I consider "deception" is when Nexon advertises their random-reward boxes/books/machines in a way that makes it seem your chances of getting what you want are much higher than they really are.

As for the resolution problem, it's not easy to solve, because Maplestory uses sprites, which are premade images. If a sprite is 100 pixels tall, then it can't be "scaled" or "zoomed". It will always take up 100 pixels. And if your screen has a lot more pixels per inch than mine, then those 100 pixels will take up less inches on your screen than they do on mine. Changing the game to fit higher-resolution screens would mean redrawing all game sprites, which is a monumental task (and will also likely quadruple the size of the installation). Furthermore, it would be of no use to Nexon's primary target audience, which is Korean PC-cafe players. They probably play in full-screen mode anyway.

You might want to look for a third-party tool that can magnify a given window (by simply turning every pixel into a 4x4 or bigger square). Disclaimer: I've no idea whether Nexon would consider that "illegal use of third-party tools" and ban you for it.
    JulySlicedTime
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited January 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    [...]
    Furthermore, it would be of no use to Nexon's primary target audience, which is Korean PC-cafe players. They probably play in full-screen mode anyway.
    [...]
    In that case, wouldn't it make even more sense to increase the graphical fidelity since, as far as I know, PC gaming cafes usually have pretty good hardware?
  • BlueIndigoBlueIndigo
    edited January 2018
    ManiOh wrote: »
    i agree
    the game/server allready strugle on current settings
    higher graphics and all that will kill the game
    they should focus on optimize what we have then improve

I dont think so. The mininum requirements of the game are actually extremely low compared to other games. Im not sure if you are referring to server lag or regular lag but a decent pc can run maple on 60 frames plus especially since there arent much players on servers. My hardware is dual core 3.1 ghz cpu and 8gb of ram which isnt really alot and I dont experience any form of lag. Even if there is lag on higher settings its not like we cant choose to run on lower graphics settings.
  • BlueIndigoBlueIndigo
    edited January 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    While you are right that there's a problem with how tiny the game elements look in windowed mode on high-resolution screens, I'd hardly label it "deceiving kids for money". Anyone buying NX clothes is already playing MapleStory and can see exactly how small it looks. What I consider "deception" is when Nexon advertises their random-reward boxes/books/machines in a way that makes it seem your chances of getting what you want are much higher than they really are.

As for the resolution problem, it's not easy to solve, because Maplestory uses sprites, which are premade images. If a sprite is 100 pixels tall, then it can't be "scaled" or "zoomed". It will always take up 100 pixels. And if your screen has a lot more pixels per inch than mine, then those 100 pixels will take up less inches on your screen than they do on mine. Changing the game to fit higher-resolution screens would mean redrawing all game sprites, which is a monumental task (and will also likely quadruple the size of the installation). Furthermore, it would be of no use to Nexon's primary target audience, which is Korean PC-cafe players. They probably play in full-screen mode anyway.

You might want to look for a third-party tool that can magnify a given window (by simply turning every pixel into a 4x4 or bigger square). Disclaimer: I've no idea whether Nexon would consider that "illegal use of third-party tools" and ban you for it.

Okay, I can agree that the resolution issues arent easy for Nexonto adjust, but as I said in my previous post; Nexon cannot keep on stalling the development of better graphics or it will decrease the chances of them wanting to ever improve the resolution since they wouldve made way too many maps,npcs, items etc for them to do. I believe that its not too late for Nexon to start now and by the time its 2020 this game would no longer be alive if Nexon doesnt do anything about it.

However, I disagree that nexon is aiming solely towards players in Korea. This is gms and besides that, how does it make sense for pc-cafes to have low-tech computers. I'm also not sure what you meant when you said that Nexon's primary target audience is from Korea because each maplestory region has their own classes and patches that are different from each other in which I can conclude that there are different Nexon regions developing their own games.

-also for the third party tool, players used to be able to edit the screen size of the game, but unfortunately Nexon decided that players should not be playing in their own custom resolutions and decided to patch it. :/ Theres nothing I can do to make it fit in my screen as it will only have black borders or extremely stretched graphics which defeats the purpose of good graphics. Improvement of the graphics is up to Nexon to do.

edit: I meant that Nexon was decieving kids because the sprites that Nexon makes has really little pixels. Less pixels in a sprite means that its easy to make which probably wouldnt have taken Nexon much effort to do.
  • cheezburger85cheezburger85
    Reactions: 1,190
    edited January 2018
    Aside from the fallacies, the essence of the post is true. Less NX covers and focus a bit more on stability. At least for an update/patch/maintenance

I disagree with the one who made this thread.
    One of the most annoying things/problem in MapleStory is mesos farm hackers.
  • KelpTheGreatKelpTheGreat
    Reactions: 1,075
    edited January 2018
    This is one of the most ridiculous, nonsensical posts I have ever read on these forums.
    No one seems to care about maple's graphics since there has been no responses to my previous post. Well, this leads me to infer that most maplestory players are still in the old era of gaming and playing on small screen laptops.
    This is because the graphics look great. I'm playing on a powerful desktop and I have no complaints whatsoever.
    I dont have any fancy gaming equipment you might expect me to have, but I am sure that the normal standard for monitor screens that even schools have is 1080p
    This is not true, and even if it was, what does it have to do with anything? You shouldn't be playing Maplestory at school anyway.
    I first played this game in 2010 with a barely working computer and now I come back in 2017 dissapointed that nexon only supports laptop users.
    This doesn't make any sense.
    I know people will disagree that the graphics are bad because of all the fancy skills and cash items nexon makes, but you cannot neglect the fact that lower resolutions make the color of maps so grainy and out of color.
    This is untrue. The colors look great and nothing in the game looks grainy at any resolution.
    Especially since, some maps are so small that they are as small as a portable device screen. I doubt anyone else complains any major screen issues like me because I can assure that the people who keep on backing that maple is still a good game is only from the old players stuck with bad pcs.
    I am a very old player and I have a good computer and Maple is definitely still a good game. Some maps are small, but so what? Some maps are huge. All games have areas of differing sizes, what does that have to do with graphics?
    In a conclusion, players invest their money and time ingame for worthwhile changes in their gameplay. Nexon should stop decieving kids of 2017 with bad pcs to buy cash items that took a few seconds to make on ms paint. I value the quality of the game over the quantity of anything nexon adds in maplestory. I dont care if nexon makes a bunch of cash clothing if the graphics are going to look so small and grainy.
    Okay, so first you say "people disagree that the graphics are bad because of the fancy skills and cash items", and THEN you say that the cash items "took a few seconds to make on ms paint"? You're contradicting yourself. Additionally, there's nothing deceitful whatsoever about selling cash items. You can preview what the items look like before you buy them, so even if any of them did look bad - which they don't - it'd be the buyer's fault for not realizing that.
    Its time for nexon to wake up. The fact is that maple is losing popularity and not because of the community(even though its dead), nor the gameplay, but because of graphics. I can assure that if you ask a bunch of new players to try maplestory they are going to say that the graphics are outdated and they wouldnt play.
    Graphics have nothing to do with any alleged loss of popularity. The graphics look great. You say yourself that you don't have any fancy gaming equipment, and then claim that the graphics look bad? It's your computer's fault! Upgrade if you want things to look nicer instead of making ludicrous posts about it!
    ZeroBlux
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    yes i seen and heard many tools that edits the game
    and many of those drastically improve the game expirance and decrease the lag issue
    i have no idea why nexon treat this as ilegal 3rd part tools ;( they can learn much from those

but if nexon just blind improve the grapich without optmize what we got yolo rip maplestory

that what happend to nexon Combat Arms
    beside many other issues,one of the big was graphic
    they made new patch with fancy new graphic called Combat Arms reloaded you can imagine what happend how bad the lag and how unplayable was ,
    not all have super end PC people can move to better optmized games instead geting very high end pc
    counter strike its one of bigest and most played game with worst graphic compared to others game titles
    but many did and do enjoy playing it

its about how playable it is (dc,crash,lag,bug,glitch,load....) rest can be improved with time
  • BlueIndigoBlueIndigo
    edited January 2018
    This is one of the most ridiculous, nonsensical posts I have ever read on these forums.
    No one seems to care about maple's graphics since there has been no responses to my previous post. Well, this leads me to infer that most maplestory players are still in the old era of gaming and playing on small screen laptops.
    This is because the graphics look great. I'm playing on a powerful desktop and I have no complaints whatsoever.
    I dont have any fancy gaming equipment you might expect me to have, but I am sure that the normal standard for monitor screens that even schools have is 1080p
    This is not true, and even if it was, what does it have to do with anything? You shouldn't be playing Maplestory at school anyway.
    This doesn't make any sense.
    I know people will disagree that the graphics are bad because of all the fancy skills and cash items nexon makes, but you cannot neglect the fact that lower resolutions make the color of maps so grainy and out of color.
    This is untrue. The colors look great and nothing in the game looks grainy at any resolution.
    Especially since, some maps are so small that they are as small as a portable device screen. I doubt anyone else complains any major screen issues like me because I can assure that the people who keep on backing that maple is still a good game is only from the old players stuck with bad pcs.
    I am a very old player and I have a good computer and Maple is definitely still a good game. Some maps are small, but so what? Some maps are huge. All games have areas of differing sizes, what does that have to do with graphics?
    In a conclusion, players invest their money and time ingame for worthwhile changes in their gameplay. Nexon should stop decieving kids of 2017 with bad pcs to buy cash items that took a few seconds to make on ms paint. I value the quality of the game over the quantity of anything nexon adds in maplestory. I dont care if nexon makes a bunch of cash clothing if the graphics are going to look so small and grainy.
    Okay, so first you say "people disagree that the graphics are bad because of the fancy skills and cash items", and THEN you say that the cash items "took a few seconds to make on ms paint"? You're contradicting yourself. Additionally, there's nothing deceitful whatsoever about selling cash items. You can preview what the items look like before you buy them, so even if any of them did look bad - which they don't - it'd be the buyer's fault for not realizing that.
    Graphics have nothing to do with any alleged loss of popularity. The graphics look great. You say yourself that you don't have any fancy gaming equipment, and then claim that the graphics look bad? It's your computer's fault! Upgrade if you want things to look nicer instead of making ludicrous posts about it!

https://imgur.com/a/x096f
    1.This Ariant map is sure *grainy* and *tiny* for my screen. (Reason why I quit because the game looked so deserted with no one in town) I can agree that some maps have good coloring and details but that is because those are new maps nexon has made while they neglected the old maps for lower level players since most of the players are higher levels.
    2. If you dont know how resolution works especially for computers with good graphics card, is that on lower resolutions the game stretches out pixels and colors which creates uneven color transition and smoothness that looks weird. Even if the game was developed on lower resolutions, maplestory mostly like uses color depth based on 32bit which is old.
    3. I dont play maplestory in school but I am comparing that even slow school computers can run maple and there are people complaining about maplestory requiring fast pcs which doesntt make sense. I even told you my hardware that is "not really fast" and can still run maple "fast" in contrast to other people using sluggish red snail laptops. You arent listing what hardware you are using on your desktop and its probably not even on 2560x1140p monitor I'm using which is why your game looks fine on your screen.My hardware: 8gb ram. 3.1 ghz dualcore(dualcore is slow and cheap to buy), direct x 11, amd radeon hd 6570. These are not high end tech that cant even run console games. I wonder what type of old laptops people use to barely play maplestory.
    4. Its decieving because little kids dont know how coding works.
    5. Okay you dont believe me that people dislike the graphics, you can search comments and ratings based on this game.
    6. Stop seeing without reading and you will start to see the true colors of the maple tree and the leaf drops of my post.
  • BlueIndigoBlueIndigo
    edited January 2018
    and many of those drastically improve the game expirance and decrease the lag issue
    i have no idea why nexon treat this as ilegal 3rd part tools ;( they can learn much from those

but if nexon just blind improve the grapich without optmize what we got yolo rip maplestory

they made new patch with fancy new graphic called Combat Arms reloaded you can imagine what happend how bad the lag and how unplayable was ,
    not all have super end PC people can move to better optmized games instead geting very high end pc
    counter strike its one of bigest and most played game with worst graphic compared to others game titles

its about how playable it is (dc,crash,lag,bug,glitch,load....) rest can be improved with time

I dont get this. Everyone still be complaining about how laggy maple is. Even if nexon is going to make a new patch on increased graphics they could still allow players to revert to older screen settings
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2018
    BlueIndigo wrote: »
    1.This Ariant map is sure *grainy* and *tiny* for my screen. (Reason why I quit because the game looked so deserted with no one in town) I can agree that some maps have good coloring and details but that is because those are new maps nexon has made while they neglected the old maps for lower level players since most of the players are higher levels.

That's a screenshot from pre-Big Bang; you can tell because it's using the extremely old UI rather than the fancy new one we received in the V update. It's about 13 years old at this point, at the least.

Because they're illegal third-party tools that edit the game. They're hacks, don't use them.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited January 2018

I dont get this. Everyone still be complaining about how laggy maple is. Even if nexon is going to make a new patch on increased graphics they could still allow players to revert to older screen settings

kinda like combat arms, they had old settings for people with not so great rigs and set ups, and the revamped graphics for those that do
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    Neospector wrote: »

That's a screenshot from pre-Big Bang; you can tell because it's using the extremely old UI rather than the fancy new one we received in the V update. It's about 13 years old at this point, at the least.

Because they're illegal third-party tools that edit the game. They're hacks, don't use them.

i know they ilegal-3rd party tools but i dont see how those makes harm or how are so bad ?
    nexon should consider do and see themself that helps without makeing harm
    nexeon can even make their own options to enable/disable some things ,resize window on player likeing not 3options limit etc etc
    i just wonder how nexon dont come with this option yet
    its sux this to be seen like "ohhhh its build by hackers its bad its hacks....."

its bad for people that has high res monitor to be stuck in very small window mode and not be able do anything even if there is soultion for that but its seen as ilegal hack tool, or people that lag because of some effects not be able disable and so on

think nexon should take some notes from those tools and make them happend when they dont let maplers do fix on their own
  • BlueIndigoBlueIndigo
    edited January 2018
    Neospector wrote: »

I know the screenshots are pre-big bang but you just pointed that only the UI has been changed which is true. If maple can change the UI it shows to prove that maple is willing the increase the graphics but unfortunately as we know, improving all maps is hard so the Ariant map has been the same unchanged for the last 13 years.

edit: Even more so, this map has probably not been changed for the last 18 years which is about 2 decades and Nexon has cared more about developing more quantities of the game. If they worked more instead on revamping the whole game in general at least every 5 years or so, there probably wouldnt be any of these problems that could be permanent and never resolved. They need to focus on fixing more issues in the whole game and stop developing new things aimed to favor high level players only which is around level 110+. I can agree that leveling to100 is alot a quicker and most of the good map graphics gameplay time is spent after level 100, but overall if a game doesnt look nice in the beginning, players will lose their fun and motivation.
  • RafikiProxyRafikiProxy
    Reactions: 410
    edited January 2018
    If you think this is deception, you should take a long look at the Big Spender Event. I believe Maple isn't losing popularity due to graphics, but more or less due to exploitative tactics, some of which are at the highest degree. No player wants to shell out hundreds of dollars to get good at a game when there should be a balance in between its free to play aspect as well. Likewise, there should be NO pay to win aspect within a server specifically made to be free to play, yet again, Nexon stabs its own rules and does the same with Reboot.
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    also when we said about tools i also noticed how hackers cc way faster then us ? there is way but we legit cant do anything about it
    we are stuck with " click many times esc -> enter -> move ch -> enter" till works ?
    why nexon dont take a look and take as improve-advatnage ?

If you think this is deception, you should take a long look at the Big Spender Event. I believe Maple isn't losing popularity due to graphics, but more or less due to exploitative tactics, some of which are at the highest degree. No player wants to shell out hundreds of dollars to get good at a game when there should be a balance in between its free to play aspect as well. Likewise, there should be NO pay to win aspect within a server specifically made to be free to play, yet again, Nexon stabs its own rules and does the same with Reboot.

ikr i agree with this
    graphic its not that bad it can be polished with higher res but for now it look like will be overkilll

btw as reg server lose maplers day by day or move to reboot ,for sure we will see more paid items in reboot step by step