[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Daily life playing MapleStory and being afraid..

PleinairPleinair
Reactions: 1,320
edited January 2018 in General Chat
Hello fellow forum users/mods and players,
I don't usually write down about personal matters but I figured I might give it a shot for once so here goes.. >,<

So I really really like playing MapleStory, probably more than any other game in my daily life (as a gamer it matters for me), and I have been playing MapleStory since 2008 in general, as well as consecutively since 2014 almost on a daily basis when I came back from a hiatus.
What I most like about MapleStory is the game at its core, being a 2D anime style MMO action platformer-RPG, as well as the extensive complexity to it, the ability to communicate and interact with people and building up your characters in the long run to access new and more endgame content eventually, while helping others along the way as a Support class main (been a Bishop main since I came back in 2014).

So all in all the above mentioned are the good things which make me crave to spend so much time online daily on MapleStory, my schedule on most days is basically Get up for work->go to Work->come back home from work, Play MapleStory and go to sleep. XP
With the above in mind, not all is peachy and fun, since often I experience an ongoing daily fear. A Fear that one day I won't be able to play anymore and will lose my account and all the progress and contacts I've made over the past several years.
The fear could creep at any time of the day or night, anywhere, and sometimes it's really unrelenting. :'(

So why am I afraid? you might be asking yourself if you bothered to read this far. Well, some of you probably have guessed already about the recent ongoing and newly surfacing issues of people getting banned by the auto ban system, as well as due to technical difficulties and bugs of various form and shape that also resurface occasionally after new patches (see this previous thread of mine for more info on that).
Every week I read new threads both here and on the MapleStory Reddit about people who are getting banned for no apparent reason, and recently it has been really bad with actual waves of bans coming in more and more often starting with the Kanna bans a few months back.

At first I thought it might be just bots and hackers who got banned, but more and more people came up over time and the stories they told, not just about the bans they received, but also the stonewalling they've encountered by technical support over at the website really made me fearful that I might be unlucky enough to get a false-positive ban someday too for no apparent reason.
Just to make it clear I don't and never had botted or hacked, nor do I use trainers, Virtual Machines or anything third party software of the sort on my computer, even though a lot of the people telling their stories being banned said they didn't do either of these things too.
All in all I shiver and feel like I want to cry when I read about a new wave of bans and the responses people receive when contacting tech support to try and get unbanned, and I wanted to share my difficult feelings here with any that might feel the same and hope that something will be changed for the better some day.

If you feel the same and like to share your own feelings and experience on the matter I raised here, or even if you don't agree with anything I said, I encourage anyone who is interested to add on this discussion.

Lastly a disclaimer: I don't try to bash anyone over at Nexon or on the forums for the current state that leaves me fearful every time I think about playing the game. I don't think anyone in particular is at fault here, and I just hope that we won't be seeing anymore ban waves of people who are seemingly innocent based on their posts, nor widespread issues like bugs that cause people to not being able to play anymore for good due to false positive bans or due to other technical reasons that do not get resolved in the game/client.
Similarly, I besiege you, please do not try to turn this thread into a bashing one, it's meant to be more about moral support and empathy purposes, or for proposed solutions to avert said qualms and worries people might experience.

Thank you for reading this far if you did and good luck to us all! o:)

Comments

• Lucsean99Lucsean99
    Reactions: 1,565
    edited January 2018
    While hello Pleinair I'm a fellow MapleStory user that's has been playing since 2007. I surprised you have a fear(which i'm not sure is normal to have) through a game at least. What we choose to do with our accounts and how much money we throw into is our decision. If you are no hacker and using software that Nexon's gets along with than you should have no fear.
  • PleinairPleinair
    edited January 2018
    Hello Lucsean99 ~ :)
    It's nice to see a fellow veteran player posting on the forums too!
    I agree with your words here, everyone should play as they see fit as long as they don't do anything illegal or against the Terms of Service.

The reason I'm fearful as I mentioned above is because I read through so many posts of others, both here and on Reddit that said that they also haven't hacked/botted or used any conspicuous software but still got banned by the automated system one blue day, and didn't receive any positive response from Tech Support.
    All these people, including some that said they also never believed others posting about the bans before they got struck with this ban issue themselves, their stories dread me and made me feel unsafe playing the game on a daily basis because if it can happen to anyone for no reason, and Tech support won't be willing to help in most cases then I fear it's only a matter of time or luck for most of us without inner ties within the company.
    Anyway, that's how I feel, and I know it's only subjective, I don't encourage anyone to stop playing because of this, I still think it's a wonderful game, even if some of the systems around it might be faulty, and/or support for false positive banned people is un-encouraging, to say the least from comments I've read from others online.

Here's hoping that things will get better soon, and none of us players will get undeservedly banned from the game we most enjoy playing! o:)

• Lucsean99Lucsean99
    edited January 2018
    Well he's some tricks i do firsthand so I'm not even thinking i would be banned.
    - i don't abuse power/ I haven't even began thinking about my DPS or range. Since hackers/botters abusive the Meister cubes 24/7 it's not wise to buy them from auction house or FM. I've only use red cubes and black cubes with MP, or when Nexon gifts them to us.
    - I keep buying NX cash and selling for fair prices.
    - If I've been playing for a while, my classes skills would still lag 3-4 secs after pressing "T". Usually if i ignore that i get d/c from the server.
    -
  • PleinairPleinair
    edited January 2018
    You can buy Meister cubes from the FM or auction house? o.o I thought they were untradeable.. But yea I also try to buy cubes just from the Reward Points shop too since they are so RNG usually.

Also I know what you mean @Lucsean99, I sometimes experience same lag issues, so I just avoid attacking anything if I see it lags too much cause it can trigger a disconnection quite often, I'll just go sit in a town or do some FM browsing instead while I wait for better latency.

• CrystalOraCrystalOra
    Reactions: 3,135
    edited January 2018
    Totally played by the rules and helped other players then BANNED. To the rest of you have some fun for me!
    CatoooloooDisco3
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    edited January 2018
    CrystalOra wrote: »
    Totally played by the rules and helped other players then BANNED. To the rest of you have some fun for me!

Get rid of CCleaner it acts as spyware the free version. Download advance system care/lObit
    Traveler5577
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited January 2018
    Lucsean99 wrote: »

Get rid of CCleaner it acts as spyware the free version. Download advance system care/lObit
    Can I get a source on that? I've never heard CCleaner being called a malware before, apart from a window of two days last year when the supply chain was contaminated. Wouldn't be too surprising, though.
  • WetAndColdWetAndCold
    Reactions: 865
    edited January 2018
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    Lucsean99 wrote: »

Can I get a source on that? I've never heard CCleaner being called a malware before, apart from a window of two days last year when the supply chain was contaminated. Wouldn't be too surprising, though.

Malwarebyte never picked up on it, neither did my windows defender so I'm going to assume it's safe. I never like advance system care/IObit. I feel like they don't really do much aside from their defrag program.
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    edited January 2018
    I found out something bad somewhere the along things when it keeps updating just like AVG. random hidden files.
  • MysticMedicMysticMedic
    Reactions: 300
    edited January 2018
    now im concerned and im new...... :c
    is it really that easy to be banned? Like i sometimes run to the store and leave my screen up or something, will that get me banned that easy?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    now im concerned and im new...... :c
    is it really that easy to be banned? Like i sometimes run to the store and leave my screen up or something, will that get me banned that easy?

Going AFK, in and of itself, won't get you banned.
    I leave my Maple logged in all day and night, and haven't been banned (yet?).

The auto-ban seems to be looking for cheating programs running on your PC. The problem is that it seems to be casting too wide a net, and catching not just programs developed specifically for cheating on Maplestory. People seem to be getting banned for running general-purpose macroing tools for completely legitimate uses (or for cheating on games that aren't Maplestory). Some of these tools even come bundled with smart/programmable keyboards/mice/controllers.

Unfortunately, Nexon didn't release a list of no-no programs. They just say to close any "unnecessary" programs while playing.

Good luck.
  • CrystalOraCrystalOra
    edited January 2018
    I was afk all day and night also. It was when I tried to change characters that the ban notice appeared after killing a little on my Jett. 5 tickets and a Ban Appeals live chat later I'm still banned and still being given the "This is final and it is in the best interests of the gaming community". This whole thing just makes me feel sick.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited January 2018
    I used to be more like that, but there's not much we can do aside from not using some programs that might be cheating for the system, seeying how a friend never got ban and usually only plays maple, i imagine people like you shouldn't worry much about it.
  • CrystalOraCrystalOra
    edited January 2018
    I have been d/c by the GM police many times over the years for the hack reason. I have been d/c because I live in the midwest and have terrible lag on every character that I have ever trained. I really hope that they are not using this as a reason to ban people now.