[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Periodic lag spikes from some USB devices

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited January 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Maplestory (GMS only, apparently) seems to have a problem with certain USB devices (keyboards, headsets, mice, of specific brands or models). This problem causes Maple to freeze, using 100% CPU, for a second or two every few seconds. When the device is unplugged, the lag spikes cease.
Googling around to find a solution for a player encountering this problem, we have found threads going back 5 or 6 years, with no universal solution. Sometimes, disabling certain features in the device (like backlighting for mechanical keyboards) or its dedicated driver/app helps, but sometimes not.

However, Discordian StorMighT found this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/73vso5/your_client_freeze_every_few_seconds/
It suggests that Maple is trying, repeatedly, to accept these devices as "joypads", but failing because they are not. Once you connect an actual or virtual controller, the lag spikes cease.

Normally I would suggest fixing the game logic to correctly detect the device type, but Discordian shad0wn1te suggested a simpler solution: Don't try to automatically detect controllers at all. Only do it when the user presses a dedicated "I just connected a controller" button, or possibly when they open the "Joypad settings" UI window.

Please do this.
NeonTwilightShadowParadoxIvangoldSlicedTime

Comments

• AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited January 2018
    I have the same problem only that how it happens is the opposite of how you describe, and more intense. I have this PS4 Dualshock 4 adaptor USB that allows me to play Maple with said controller using the device wirelessly, and it works surprisingly well. However, I'm unable to unplug the USB because as soon as I do, Maplestory freezes within seconds, and stays frozen for up to 15 seconds, updates to current frame and then repeats, until I plug it back in.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited January 2018
    I don't know if i have this problem, but i want this with some change, some things are really stupid in how they lag the game.